Stardawg17, Dutch Bucket, Cookie Wreck, 2020: Dive Into The Deep End

If it’s not to late you might want to rethink your res capacity. I believe you said it was 6 gal. For a five bucket setup you want closer to 18 gal. I bought a heavy duty 27 gal tote from Home Depot for around $10. It holds an 18 gal res. Tote is black with a yellow lid. I painted the lid black to block light.

Welcome to the best hobby that anyone could have, well, should have!! Lol!
Growing plants in general is a fantastic way to relieve and reduce stress, promote healthier eating habits, become more self-reliant and not so dependent on the Supermarkets!
I can totally sympathize with you on the any addiction problems and Cannabis being a huge recovery from the Prescribed Medication Drug Scheme! My Heart truly goes out to you, your wife, and seriously, anyone else reading this Comment.... Stay Strong, Set Priorities, and Meditate Often my friends! Much LOVE Everyone, Much Love to All.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Greatest Forum on Earth!! Wait, technically, the Forum itself isn't on Earth, it's in/on the Internet! But the Internet, is it located on Earth it self, or is it officially No Where? But it has to be somewhere, because it exists!! Right?!? Lol!
I don't know, damn Stoner thoughts! Lol!

Anyway, Welcome to 420Magazine.com Forum, where Growing the Cannabis gets you just as high as smoking it!!
DYR...thank you for the warm welcome and the kind words. I'm actually thinking about expanding into my adjacent shed and growing shiitake and oyster mushrooms. I figure I got about 10 more years of programming computers before they get good at programming themselves...so...maybe this urban farming thing will tide me over to retirement.

If it’s not to late you might want to rethink your res capacity. I believe you said it was 6 gal. For a five bucket setup you want closer to 18 gal. I bought a heavy duty 27 gal tote from Home Depot for around $10. It holds an 18 gal res. Tote is black with a yellow lid. I painted the lid black to block light.
Yeah...I originally got one of those tough boxes...a 12 gallon for the reservoir. The problem is vertical space. That's why I went with the low profile 6 gallon.

Also, I meant to ask you about the amount of water retained in your buckets. I rinsed the medium in the buckets today and I have one that is just slow draining.I think there may be a piece of hydroton blocking the drain pipe. but all of the buckets are heavier than I expected so I'm wondering if they aren't holding too much water. I also have a grommet that's leaking in one of the buckets.

Not even 5 days into this grow and I'm already having issues :(

“So, in a curious lurid calm which could not last and yet, it seemed, could not end, the days went by.”
― Iris Murdoch, The Message to the Planet

Day 4...no change to report.

1599359010477.png

I did need to run the heater in the lab last night and I have it set at 60F again tonight. I've had to dampen the paper towel for the seeds this morning and this evening. I'll check again before lights out tonight.

Other than that I cleaned up and organized some in the lab, programmed the temperature probe for the reservoir and started tuning the ph probe for the reservoir. It came without documentation, but, I did find a blog post on it. I followed the author's instructions and I'm reading ph levels around -14 :lot-o-toke: Oh yeah, I also created a case for the pi.

20200904_143758.jpg

Yeah...I originally got one of those tough boxes...a 12 gallon for the reservoir. The problem is vertical space. That's why I went with the low profile 6 gallon.

Also, I meant to ask you about the amount of water retained in your buckets. I rinsed the medium in the buckets today and I have one that is just slow draining.I think there may be a piece of hydroton blocking the drain pipe. but all of the buckets are heavier than I expected so I'm wondering if they aren't holding too much water. I also have a grommet that's leaking in one of the buckets.

Might consider building a 4X4 platform to set your tent on If you got the vertical space in your building. That should allow you to go with a bigger/taller tote for your res.
I have no idea how much water my buckets hold before it starts to drain. When I’m working in the GR tomorrow I’ll figure that out and let you know.
The diy buckets are cool and you have the satisfaction of building it yourself but I’ll tell ya I love my buckets. A 10 pack cost $109 for the buckets and all fittings. Other than that all you need is 2 inch pvc for the return drain. I don’t see how there could ever be leaks with them...
Keep your head up. If you make no changes to what you have now I’m confident you will grow some great smoke. I’m getting ready to build my fourth Dutch bucket set up. You learn from experience.

Might consider building a 4X4 platform to set your tent on If you got the vertical space in your building. That should allow you to go with a bigger/taller tote for your res.
I have no idea how much water my buckets hold before it starts to drain. When I’m working in the GR tomorrow I’ll figure that out and let you know.
The diy buckets are cool and you have the satisfaction of building it yourself but I’ll tell ya I love my buckets. A 10 pack cost $109 for the buckets and all fittings. Other than that all you need is 2 inch pvc for the return drain. I don’t see how there could ever be leaks with them...
Keep your head up. If you make no changes to what you have now I’m confident you will grow some great smoke. I’m getting ready to build my fourth Dutch bucket set up. You learn from experience.
I've already got it up on 2" foam board. I do have another few inches to go all the way against the ceiling if I reroute my intake. I suppose I could route it through the same opening the exhaust goes through :rolleyes: Another option is to use the 12 gallon up on a shelf and pump the return up to it, but, that's added complexity and risk :confused:

I am taking a Sabbath day tomorrow, so, maybe Monday I'll experiment. I've got next week off from work so I'm hoping to finish up the setup so I can start relaxing and enjoying the experience :Namaste:

Stay Strong, problems will be met, and mountains will be conquered! Work through all these kinks cause that outcome is amazing!

DYR...thank you for the warm welcome and the kind words. I'm actually thinking about expanding into my adjacent shed and growing shiitake and oyster mushrooms. I figure I got about 10 more years of programming computers before they get good at programming themselves...so...maybe this urban farming thing will tide me over to retirement.
your probably right on computers Programming themselves soon!! And yeah, I have actually looked into the Mushroom market and its really good, especially if you don't have Covid-19,20, and 21 LMAO!! But seriously, mushrooms and Micro Greens are a great small to mid business venture! Good luck! I have a family of 6, my wife and I, and are 4 kids! I'm always trying to come up with some way to bring cash in! I just dont Deal, I'm not a drug dealer type of guy! Lol!! To nice!! Lol!!

Oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good

-- Cage the Elephant

Well my sabbath turned out to be busier than anticipated...but...what a pleasant surprise :)

20200906_184906.jpg

I soaked the rock wool cubes in spring water reading pH 5.5. I put the taproots in and covered them up. Placed them in the germination tray poured a root hormone solution over them until the solution filled the troughs in the tray.

20200906_185343.jpg

I dropped the grow light all the way down and it will stay on 24/7 until they go into the buckets.

20200906_185406.jpg

temp-humid.PNG

24 hour chart.PNG

Harriet
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Hightest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Unknown​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
1​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
23​
NA​
First to sprout​

Rosa
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Hightest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Unknown​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
0.25​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
23​
seed shell fell off taproot...placed in rockwool with taproot​

Catherine
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Hightest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Unknown​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
0.1​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
23​
tiny taproot​

Jackie
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Highest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Unknown​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
0.01​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
Shell cracked and showing just the tiniest of taproots​

Josephine
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Hightest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Reading​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
0.01​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
23​
Last seed to crack​

You guys were right about the pH meter...My Vivosun already flaked out on me today. As fate would have it, my standard solutions arrived today and I was able to calibrate the pH probe :adore:

The clock is really ticking now for me to complete this setup :eek:

Oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good

-- Cage the Elephant

Well my sabbath turned out to be busier than anticipated...but...what a pleasant surprise :)

20200906_184906.jpg

I soaked the rock wool cubes in spring water reading pH 5.5. I put the taproots in and covered them up. Placed them in the germination tray poured a root hormone solution over them until the solution filled the troughs in the tray.

20200906_185343.jpg

I dropped the grow light all the way down and it will stay on 24/7 until they go into the buckets.

20200906_185406.jpg

temp-humid.PNG

24 hour chart.PNG

Harriet
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Hightest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Unknown​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
1​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
23​
NA​
First to sprout​

Rosa
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Hightest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Unknown​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
0.25​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
23​
seed shell fell off taproot...placed in rockwool with taproot​

Catherine
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Hightest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Unknown​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
0.1​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
23​
tiny taproot​

Jackie
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Highest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Unknown​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
0.01​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
Shell cracked and showing just the tiniest of taproots​

Josephine
Date
Phase
Nute Week
Flush?
FloraKleen
Height
Girth
Temperature
Humidity
H20 Level
PH
PPM
CO2
Leaf Health
Stem Health
Root Health
Notes
See tab​
Yes/No​
Tsp. per 5 Gallons​
Inches​
Inches​
Hightest/F​
Highest/%​
Inches below​
Reading​
Reading​
Unknown​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
1 to 5​
Changes​
09/06/20​
Seedling​
1​
No​
0​
0.01​
0​
83​
91​
5.7​
23​
Last seed to crack​

You guys were right about the pH meter...My Vivosun already flaked out on me today. As fate would have it, my standard solutions arrived today and I was able to calibrate the pH probe :adore:

The clock is really ticking now for me to complete this setup :eek:
Nice Data Brother!! Kicking ass in the Science of the High!

Not much to report today. Spent way too much time sorting out all the wires for controller 2. After its all said and done I'm not sure the Arduino Uno can handle all of these sensors on a single 5 volt circuit as the analog devices readings appear off now :rolleyes:. Also no readings for building temp/RH because I brought that Arduino in to my office to add the other sensors.

Screenshot_2020-09-08-01-28-51.png

Anyway, looks like Harriet is leaving her sisters behind. I'm not sure but that one cube may be on its side o_O

20200907_195909.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about your wife SD. I hope she recovers with the medicine that you grow for her.

Amazing work there. I've always been a big fan of DIY setups. Things led me to design and manufacture my own LED's. So much inspiration here. I'll be watching this one for sure. You totally Did It Yourself :passitleft:
TC...thanks and welcome aboard! Hopefully everything comes together and we reap some benefits. You've got my curiosity totally piqued with DIY grow lights :thedoubletake:

You've got my curiosity totally piqued with DIY grow lights :thedoubletake:
you seemed to have your next project in line :thumb: I think you should deffinitly look into it and make a ass wooping light.
by the way sry to hear about your wife. hope she gets better soon!!

No one is so brave that he is not disturbed by something unexpected.
-- Julius Caesar

So what I thought was just a grommet I chewed up during the installation turned out to be a much bigger issue...

20200908_195129.jpg

Unfortunately, the local Tom's Supermarket no longer hands out icing buckets for free or sale. So, to the Schnuck's Supermarket 10 miles away.

20200908_212524.jpg

An upgraded model for sure :)

I just thought this was pretty cool when I pulled the paint filter with the medium out of the old bucket

20200908_194657.jpg

And I battled with the reservoir controller all day. I think the box turned out pretty decent, but, in the process I think I fried something because all of my sensor readings have gone jank :nervous-guy:

20200908_213553.jpg

20200908_213707.jpg

And I got the time-lapse camera installed on the Pi...

20200908_214031.jpg

Back
Top Bottom