Beccabuds Photon Follies: An Ongoing Adventure In Tiny Closet Gardening

Sunday update. 58 days now since germination. #1 looks like it's trying to stretch some while her sister has slowed a bit and is starting to bulk up. 82F and 55% RH. Close up is of #2 from about 2" or 50mm. Note no color compensation in Macro mode with my phone, but when in the Pro mode I set color temp to 3600k to comp for the lights.
These ladies could be ripe as soon as 3 weeks from now but I'm hoping for longer (and bigger).

20230305_120448r.jpg
20230305_120517r.jpg

20230305_121003r.jpg

For perspective, the grow closet is 22" x 34" (1.833'x2.833') or 5.2 sq ft.

20230305_121632r.jpg

Day 63, 9 weeks. Today both plants get another cup of Geoflora Bloom and a gallon of nutrient solution per the schedule below. Water purifier is down so I used tap water treated with 200mg of vitamin C (removes chlorine and chloramine) and run through a Brita filter with some DI resin in the basket. It came out 155ppm (was 285) so good enough. Added a mL of CalMag+ back in anyway. Trichomes are showing on both plants now.

LWNS_DSDa_20230310.jpg

20230310_165605r.jpg
20230310_165626r.jpg

20230310_171218r.jpg
20230310_171137r.jpg

Well, my request for help apparently fell on deaf ears, but got me thinking. After fertilizing Friday the necrosis hasn't progressed, and it appeared in the last few days between application of the Geoflora. The damaged leaf tissue is limited to the middle of the plant and I think the flowers are cannibalizing the leaves for nutrients, so I think a half cup of Geoflora weekly would be better than a cup biweekly. That should keep nutrient availability more stable.
All that may be moot, though, as these ladies are getting close to the finish line anyway. Trichomes are getting dense and buds are filling in. I'm projecting 3 weeks for #2 and 4 weeks for #1. Got myself a monster 30x40mm magnifier to make inspection easier.

20230315_151540r.jpg

:party:
20230315_152752r.jpg

Watering day! Day 70, 10 weeks. #2 is still looking sickly. I think she's root-bound, hungry and the Geoflora/Massive/Purpinator regimen isn't supplying enough nutes. I'm going to give her a gallon of water with 5mL CalMag+, 1 tsp. of GH MaxiBloom and 4mL of pH Up, and see how she does. Gave #1 a gallon of the same. pH measured 6.3 and ec was 1.6.

20230317_145414r.jpg

Well, my request for help apparently fell on deaf ears, but got me thinking. After fertilizing Friday the necrosis hasn't progressed, and it appeared in the last few days between application of the Geoflora. The damaged leaf tissue is limited to the middle of the plant and I think the flowers are cannibalizing the leaves for nutrients, so I think a half cup of Geoflora weekly would be better than a cup biweekly. That should keep nutrient availability more stable.
All that may be moot, though, as these ladies are getting close to the finish line anyway. Trichomes are getting dense and buds are filling in. I'm projecting 3 weeks for #2 and 4 weeks for #1. Got myself a monster 30x40mm magnifier to make inspection easier.

20230315_151540r.jpg

20230315_152752r.jpg

I’m not seeing a bad branch anywhere, they look great, especially this late. What you described to me, sounds like root issues. Same thing has happened to me twice now. First time from gnats, this time from I believe deficiency and salt build up. I need to ease up on the k-mag in my soil mix me thinks. Anyway, both times it was helped a little bit by Boomerang. It’s an organic root treatment of sorts. Sorry to little to late, but this far along I wouldn’t worry about it, your plants look great!

Number 2 does have some kind of funk, but dammed if I can tell what's going on with these autos. Maybe it's just getting ripe, but I've never seen the tips of the leaves curl up like this and go necrotic last 1/2". Also the the dark tips along the margins are throwing me off. Started off with just the points along the margins turned dark brown, now the whole leaves are starting to yellow.
#1 isn't showing any of these symptoms.

20230318_192916r.jpg
20230318_192928r.jpg

20230318_192938r.jpg

Seems like a K deficiency in these big 10 gallon pots would be unlikely, plus she got Geoflora Bloom, Massive Bloom & Purpinator on week 9, and a tsp of General Hydroponics MaxiBloom Friday. Got to be an excess of K and I probably just made it worse w/ the MaxiBloom.
That makes good sense. I’d cut back on the P&K and see if the ship doesn’t right itself.

It's close enough to finish I'll just give it water from here on. Give it a good sized drink next Friday. It is odd that the other plant shows no similar symptoms at all and it sprouted first. Same soil, same cloth pots, same feeding schedule, same everything except #2 got huge fast and has always had darker leaves than #1.

It's close enough to finish I'll just give it water from here on. Give it a good sized drink next Friday. It is odd that the other plant shows no similar symptoms at all and it sprouted first. Same soil, same cloth pots, same feeding schedule, same everything except #2 got huge fast and has always had darker leaves than #1.
Great plan! There always seems to be a problem child, you raise em right, give ‘em food, water, light, and love, then they go and get burnt and yellow on ya. !

I spent part of the day reading about the life cycle of autoflower cannabis and learned a few things I didn't know. Turns out not all autos develop amber trichs, so one has to resort to other means to determine ripeness, like all the larger leaves turning and falling off and watch for trichs changing from clear to milky. OK, well, yea, I thought #2 kinda started changing like clockwork and I was right, DNA clockwork! And of course my new 30x magnifier is most useful for seeing bulk amber but not so much for discerning foggy trichomes, so the USB microscope comes off the shelf. Where #1 falls in the DNA game is anybody's guess- it hasn't turned at all yet so it's got longer program I guess.
While I was doing the research, I flushed #2 with 2 gallons of dechlorinated tap water. The first of the run off water measured 7.2mS conductivity at pH 6.3 so it did flush out some electrolytes.
Each pot was then fertilized per the schedule one last time. I think that's going to be it for fertilizer for this crop. All they need now is aqua and a couple more weeks.

LNWS_DSDa_20230324.jpg

20230324_174450cr.jpg

Yea, they're very close, @Phytoplankton. They are going to be some tasty buds if the smell in there is any indicator. You would never know both plants are supposedly same genes. They look alike but each has it's own schedule. #1, which sprouted first, is at least a week, maybe two, behind #2. #1 stigmas are almost all still white and #2 have almost all turned red already.

Back
Top Bottom