Bellyh's Soil/CFL - Auto Pounder - 2013

Bellyh

Hello this is my first ever grow and have decided on Soil for my medium and have chosen Cfl lighting.​

Basic setup.
  • Bio-Bizz All mix soil.
  • 3 Gallon pot.
  • 300w Dual spectrum cfl bulb and reflective hanger.
  • 10" Oscillating fan.
  • Digital thermometer.
  • 1 x Auto pounder feminised seed.

Plant Characteristics.
  • Sex: Feminized
  • Type: Indica, Sativa & Ruderalis
  • Flowering: Autoflowering
  • Height: Medium (60cm - 100cm)
  • Area: Indoor & Outdoor
  • Grow time: 70 - 80 Days
  • Genetics: Auto #1 x Sensi's original Big Bud and Power Plant

Germination

Key Info
  • Temperature - 24-29°C / 75-84°F.
  • Fan turned on for circulation.
  • Light on for heat.
  • Mineral water balanced to 6.8.
I started by filling my pot with my Bio-Bizz All mix soil after filing i watered with ph balanced Mineral water(6.8). I left for about an hour to ensure the soil was at room temperature I then made a small hole about 3/4" deep and dropped the seed straight into my 3Gallon pots with light on to keep temperature at a moderate level. I kept my temperature between 24-29°C / 75-84°F. I also put a dome over my plant pot to keep humidity high although opened the top vent after 24 hours.
Approximately 72 hours after planting hey presto ! She's alive :)!

Vegetive state.
Not really much to say for this part ATM but just to be clear I am not and won't be using nutrients until around week 3 as feeding before this may stunt growth as the plant is creating a strong root system and the nutrients that are in the soil I have bought should give the plant everything it needs up until 3 weeks.

I will be updating my journal often with regular information and photos so keep an eye out :)!

Welcome belly, hope you don't mind me tagging along. I have had my eye on the auto pounder, but I fear it may outgrow my small space. Are you planing to use LST? I have three autos now that are doing well, but I have gained lots of knowledge here, and can't wait to start my next grow. Stop by my journal if you care to, it's in my signature.

subbed :)

and good call on the feeding. 2.5-3 weeks is a great number to wait for. too many people feed early and end up burning their girls.

i too am trying some autos. :)

The only concern I have for your grow is the 3 gallon pot, will that be the final container, or will you transplant? I used 1 gallon pots for my girls, after taking some bad advice, and it seems to have restricted their growth, and I hear it will reduce yield. Also, if you are using your phone to take pics, turn it sideways when you take them, and your pics will upload correctly. I guess they rotate when they are uploaded so you have to take it sideways.

looks to make like 2 1.5 gallons made into a 3? if so, i think bellyh is fine

im testing container size on my next auto grow, im doing one in a 3 gal, and in 2 weeks, im dropping one in a 5 gal

im told 3 gal is max you need, but some wear by 5 gal, guess ill find out :)

I will use 3 gallon in my next grow with autos, because of space restrictions, but when I acquire a larger space, I will switch to 5 gallon pots. I believe one of my girls is close to being root bound, and it is too late in flower to trans now. I will be watching for your next grow nibec, can't wait to the results.

Hey everyone :) fist off just like to say thanks for the warm welcome you guys have given me.

@Dank: yeah I'm planning on LST as I don't have a huge amount of space to play with, the container pictured is two 1.5
gallon pots made into a single 3gallon pot and i wont be transplanting this pot will be its first and last home. ill make sure the photos are all good next time and I'm glad to hear your autos are going well and I'll be sure to check out your journal !

My take on transplanting autos.
It should be avoided if at all possible. Although there is a new technique of transplanting to get shorter more compact auto's but as ageneral rule, start them where they will finish.
Autos have some differences in rooting compared to photo plants. The first thing Ive read and seen is an extremely aggresive taproot. I transplanted a 3/4" seedling from a red prty cup and the tap was alreay 1/4" through the bottom! Once the tap root hits any obstruction it will slow. This is why you want a larger container so she can freely root all she wants without the stunt.

p.s. this is the opposite of photo plants where transplanting alot can help build a larger more dense rootball. But with the finite amount of time an auto grows, she can not make up for a weeks loss like photos can.

I plan to plant into the final container with autos from now on, and I am going to try dwc 2 liter style in my next grow as well. The dwc will be an auto, but the other plants will be non autos. In the future, when I have more space, I plan to do some more autos in a separate room. I transplanted all my autos in my current grow, and one girl was stunted, while the other two girls didn't experience any shock at all.

subscribed. you want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil. i would not use Mineral water for your plant, Mineral water often has sodium chloride or table salt added. you want distilled water for your plant.

@king, thank you for the advice :), much appreciated, ll be sure to stop feeding mineral water and distill some water tomorrow.

Do you recommended I flush with the distilled water ph at 6.5 ?

Update! - Day 4 since sprouting

This is what she looks like after 4 days, looking healthy I think?

I have taken some advice on what I should be using to water her with and after a look around I have decided to start feeding her ph'd rain water.

Also I have added a intake fan as there was no new air circulating in the grow.

Am looking for a way to brighten up the wood as its not much use when it's not reflecting the light ! Any ideas??
Also how far should I have my light from the top of my plant ?

Anyway not a massive update but thought I'd let people know how it's going and needed a little advice :).

Tape everything off except the wood and paint the wood gloss white. Or get some velcro and emergency blankets and hang that up. I think the paint is the better way, makes it easier to clean, because the mylar is kinda difficult to clean sometimes. The distance of the light looks ok to me, as long as you maintain good circulation, especially around the bulb.

Tape everything off except the wood and paint the wood gloss white. Or get some velcro and emergency blankets and hang that up. I think the paint is the better way, makes it easier to clean, because the mylar is kinda difficult to clean sometimes. The distance of the light looks ok to me, as long as you maintain good circulation, especially around the bulb.

Flat white is much more reflective than Gloss white sir. its kinda an eye trick that makes you think the opposite. Flat white is also much more reflective than foil. But mylar emergancy blankets are a good temporary solution as well. Is the product Panda Film available in your area?

I would either paint your grow area a medium gloss white paint or use black and white (panda) plastic to line your grow area. if cost is a factor then i would use inexpensive camping/emergency blankets made from Mylar to line your grow area with.

Back
Top Bottom