Best budget light under $150?

Yeah its doing good so far bro

It's taken me months to decide which one to buy and I'm glad I went with the Mars..

If you arent sure, look at the reviews for them. I haven't seen a bad one (yet)
I gave them pretty bad review.... they advertised 30% higher wattage output on their lights than it actually was until I noticed it and they changed it on their site.

buy this if you want heat maker

All electric lights are "heat makers." 3.412141633 BTU per watt, generally, in an enclosed space.

All electric lights are "heat makers." 3.412141633 BTU per watt, generally, in an enclosed space.
yes but this one doesnt even have suckion... I had this one for few hours until I noticed I can get burn from touching the light. So how are you planning to ventilate this heat?

yes but this one doesnt even have suckion...

:hmmmm:

had this one for few hours until I noticed I can get burn from touching the light.

Huh. I did the same thing with mine, and with no fan pointed at it, and it got hot -of course :rolleyes: - but no burns were experienced, lol, not a single blister. Maybe yours has an issue, you are more temperature-sensitive than average, or.. something. I don't think mine got above 154°F (although, to be honest, I could be remembering the temperature of the SP-150, which I was testing at the same time - but they were both "in the same neighborhood," so to speak).

So how are you planning to ventilate this heat?

The same way I would - and have - when using any light source other than an HID bulb inside an "air-cooled" reflector (in other words, one with a 6" or 8" duct flange on either end), which is by running one exhaust fan for the entire space, with a carbon filter attached to handle odor. Bare-bulb HPS, HID in open reflector, an LED panel product that contains one or more of those dinky little computer fans, a fanless LED product such as Mars-Hydro's TS and SP product line, one of the Samsung Quantum Boards, half a case of CFL bulbs, et cetera would be dealt with in this manner.

With the aforementioned "HID in an air-cooled reflector" setup, of course, I'd want to run a separate exhaust filter just for the lighting, because it'd be far more efficient... No filter necessary for that one, because I'd be bringing clean air in from another location, passing it through the reflector housing(s), through that fan, and back out of the grow space to another location (therefore, that air would just smell like... air). And, with the vast majority of the heat being dealt with by that exhaust run, I could then use a significantly less powerful exhaust fan to handle ventilation duties for the actual grow space. And my carbon filter would last a good but longer because: the air moving through it wouldn't have been heated first, and I generally wouldn't have to run that fan continuously the entire time the lights were on, since it wouldn't have to handle the double duties of both odor control and heat removal.

I almost forgot to mention, I did once see one LED grow light product that was in a housing that had duct flanges for connecting to a ventilation run - but it cost $2,000US :rofl:.

:hmmmm:

Huh. I did the same thing with mine, and with no fan pointed at it, and it got hot -of course :rolleyes: - but no burns were experienced, lol, not a single blister. Maybe yours has an issue, you are more temperature-sensitive than average, or.. something. I don't think mine got above 154°F (although, to be honest, I could be remembering the temperature of the SP-150, which I was testing at the same time - but they were both "in the same neighborhood," so to speak).

The same way I would - and have - when using any light source other than an HID bulb inside an "air-cooled" reflector (in other words, one with a 6" or 8" duct flange on either end), which is by running one exhaust fan for the entire space, with a carbon filter attached to handle odor. Bare-bulb HPS, HID in open reflector, an LED panel product that contains one or more of those dinky little computer fans, a fanless LED product such as Mars-Hydro's TS and SP product line, one of the Samsung Quantum Boards, half a case of CFL bulbs, et cetera would be dealt with in this manner.

With the aforementioned "HID in an air-cooled reflector" setup, of course, I'd want to run a separate exhaust filter just for the lighting, because it'd be far more efficient... No filter necessary for that one, because I'd be bringing clean air in from another location, passing it through the reflector housing(s), through that fan, and back out of the grow space to another location (therefore, that air would just smell like... air). And, with the vast majority of the heat being dealt with by that exhaust run, I could then use a significantly less powerful exhaust fan to handle ventilation duties for the actual grow space. And my carbon filter would last a good but longer because: the air moving through it wouldn't have been heated first, and I generally wouldn't have to run that fan continuously the entire time the lights were on, since it wouldn't have to handle the double duties of both odor control and heat removal.

I almost forgot to mention, I did once see one LED grow light product that was in a housing that had duct flanges for connecting to a ventilation run - but it cost $2,000US :rofl:.

I made frame for my mars hydro pro II 320 for venting hot air which comes from sides for 20usd.

You run a 600-watt light and you're bitching about the heat a 150-watt one produces? What's next, griping about how hot it is in Canada in the Winter, followed by you telling us that you spend your summers on the equator?

You run a 600-watt light and you're bitching about the heat a 150-watt one produces? What's next, griping about how hot it is in Canada in the Winter, followed by you telling us that you spend your summers on the equator?
its nowhere near as hot as ts1000

The thing that I dont like is that manufacturers usually promotes how leds makes no heat which they do especially with fact that they are more harder/imposible to ventilate.

its nowhere near as hot as ts1000

Oh, for fuck's sake. That TS-1000 is producing roughly ONE FOURTH of the heat your 320 produces.

But, far more importantly to the OP of this thread, he can buy one with the money available in his budget. Is it the best grow light he can buy for $150 or less? Beats me, there are lots of choices in that price range. But I'm pretty sure your Pro 320 isn't one of them, lol.

Yeah, I've broken a few laws over the years, but haven't managed to break a law of physics yet, lol.

Dr.H00k, my old pirate friend, hope things are well in your world. I thought of you just this morning... Mom called and said she needed a big cardboard box. So I went looking, and found one - but it was full of these strange devices, Pansat, ViewSonic, and more. I stood there a moment, and thought, "Yep, this will do, just as soon as I make a couple trips outside to the cans."

A little late, as usual ;).

Thanks for the plug! We have a new Full Spec 150 Watt (wall draw) kit coming out in about a week that would fit the initial post budget (or close to). However, it would be too small for a 2 x 4. You would need 260 Watts to 300 Watts (wall draw) for that space.

Do tell! I’m actually looking to increase my space here in the near future. Possibly to a 4x4 space.

Here is a sneak peak of the spectrum. We will offer it in 150 Watt Kit, 270 Watt Kit, and also a 500 Watt kit.
Full Spec.jpg

However, it would be too small for a 2 x 4. You would need 260 Watts to 300 Watts (wall draw) for that space.

...and 400 watts, with a footprint that matched the shape & size of the grow space at the correct height above the plants would be even better for flowering photperiodic strains, IMHO.

I doubt the OP is going to find this, with his stated budget, with LED lighting. First harvest might be less than optimum, lol, but he could probably find something that will allow for that first harvest, while allowing him time to save for the necessary (again, "IMHO") upgrade. From your company, another forum sponsor, or wherever.

Or he can wait a reasonable amount of time before purchasing any light and continue to add to his budget NOW, and ultimately end up with a fully adequate level of light all across the area of the grow space right out of the gate (and not need an upgrade or replacement later).

Patience is a virtue. If you (the OP) do not possess that virtue, my recommendation would be that you approach this with the assumption that, whatever you buy now, it either won't be what you'll be using by the end of your third harvest, or that it'll only comprise part of your lighting - and, therefore, maybe try to spend even less initially than you had originally planned, buying used equipment for pennies on the dollar. But, again, I think it'd be best if you tried to continue to add to your budget (even if it's just a few dollars per week by skipping the fancy coffee, brown-bagging it, etc.) until you can fully illuminate your grow space.

But that's my opinion, of course. . . .

Cost more than $150, all in, though?

I agree,Tortured. I may have over looked the fact that with a bit more time, research, and saving/adding on to my budget, I’ll find something I wouldn’t ever have to replace, because that is generally what I’m looking for.

I’ll keeping you in the loop of things and I appreciate all the help and guidance. I could’ve made a quick, impulsive decision, and bought something unreliable, simply because I’m so eager to upgrade.

I’m gonna get the hang of this one way or another mark my words! Can’t wait to wrap up my first harvest. I’m excited.

Back
Top Bottom