Best way to start for DWC

Mcjoint

I am having issues with one of my seedlings. They started off great however, recently one of seedlings started giving me issues. Think the reason has to do with lack of oxygen due to much water/ humidity. There is probably a chance I have to start again lol. What's is the best method to start for dwc from seed to bucket.

I germ seeds between wet paper towels and when they get a small taproot i put them directly into my clay pebbles. I run a top fed dwc that keeps the clay moist until the roots have a chance to hit the rez then i shut off the drip. It's worked for me so far. Some people swear by rapid rooters or rockwool but i am on a tight budget and wanted to see if i could just go straight to my grow medium. I've done it 3 times now with success. Not saying it's the best method, just the one i use and that it works fine for me.

I germ seeds between wet paper towels and when they get a small taproot i put them directly into my clay pebbles. I run a top fed dwc that keeps the clay moist until the roots have a chance to hit the rez then i shut off the drip. It's worked for me so far. Some people swear by rapid rooters or rockwool but i am on a tight budget and wanted to see if i could just go straight to my grow medium. I've done it 3 times now with success. Not saying it's the best method, just the one i use and that it works fine for me.
That's pretty cool, I used the rapid rooter to germ. I am having issues keeping them from drowning, i probably such have popped the rapid rooter into a bigger rock wool but I am trying to avoid using rock wool. I didn't know it was possible to germ directly into expanded clay. I will give it a shot next time I try to germ

If you want a simple sure way too get rooted seedling in dwc just start the seedling in soil. Fill net pot with a potting soil and add a little mychorrizae powder like great white powder. The soil will feed the seedling the first week or 2 and roots will take good hold. As soon as you see roots put the net pot in the dwc then treat as hydro and allow soil to dry out. It can also be doe with coco or rockwool. However soil is simplest as you just pot up and add a little water. works great and soil wont go into res as roots hold it together. Just keep a clear gap between net pot and water line.

I start in the peat plug first in a cloning hood and wait for them to pop. After they have come up and the tap root comes out the bottom of the plug you can transfer into the net pot with whatever medium.

Same with clones.

Something like this... extremely valuable tool I think.

clone_hood.jpg

I start in the peat plug first in a cloning hood and wait for them to pop. After they have come up and the tap root comes out the bottom of the plug you can transfer into the net pot with whatever medium.

Same with clones.

Something like this... extremely valuable tool I think.

clone_hood.jpg
I did this with rapid rooters, how ever I was trying to leave my seedlings in the tray untill they hit the ten mark but I should have moved them into the bucket once the roots started popping out of the rr

My roots got pretty long but after like 5 or 6 days from breaking ground they started to give some issues b.c of lack of oxygen. I guess I was keeping them to moist. I transplanted both of them last night. Hopefully these guys will thugg it out now that I got them in the bucket with an air pump.

Back
Top Bottom