What is the best way to water seedlings?

Phillybonker

Currently I pour water into the root system, two bottle caps of water once every two days. The seedlings have one set of leaves after 8 days and growth seems to be slow. I'm guessing its a watering issue maybe, too much water perhaps?

So what is best way to water seedlings?

Currently I pour water into the root system, two bottle caps of water once every two days. The seedlings have one set of leaves after 8 days and growth seems to be slow. I'm guessing its a watering issue maybe, too much water perhaps?

it depends on the media.

I'm growing outdoors, temperature ranges from 22°C - 26°C. But seedling are in small black plastic seedling bags that heat up pretty good in the sun. So quite a bit of heat.
I grow in DWC and use RapidRooters to germinate so I'm not very knowledgeable about soil. Having said that, I can't help but think that 2 caps full of water in two days is not enough especially if there's "quite a bit of heat".

Perhaps a soil guru can chime in.

I grow in DWC and use RapidRooters to germinate so I'm not very knowledgeable about soil. Having said that, I can't help but think that 2 caps full of water in two days is not enough especially if there's "quite a bit of heat".

Perhaps a soil guru can chime in.

The soil has gypsum and coco for water retention but yeah the pots heat up pretty good, so I don't know.

I'm growing outdoors, temperature ranges from 22°C - 26°C. But seedling are in small black plastic seedling bags that heat up pretty good in the sun. So quite a bit of heat.

the base is mostly coco.

in coco i start at every third day when they are tiny and ramp up to every other day when they get a node or two. you'll need to feed them in that mix. feed til 10% runoff.

the pumice and other stuff might hold water a bit longer so you may get away with a longer period, but i'd start with that and monitor. the bags may make a difference.

the base is mostly coco.

you'll need to feed them in that mix. feed til 10% runoff.
Alright, every third day I'll water the seedlings till there is 10% runoff.

the pumice and other stuff might hold water a bit longer so you may get away with a longer period, but i'd start with that and monitor. the bags may make a difference.
Yep I check them every morning, hopefully they're not stunted from whatever I'm doing wrong.

Alright, every third day I'll water the seedlings till there is 10% runoff.

you'll need to feed not just water. coco needs fed everytime, never just give it water. if they are going outdoor they'll need to be fed before planting in the ground.

you'll need to feed not just water. coco needs fed everytime, never just give it water. if they are going outdoor they'll need to be fed before planting in the ground.
The seedling starter soil has 3 month mini prill fertilizer built into it. I took a photo of the starter soil, it's mainly just soil rather than coco.

I took a closer look at it and it's hard for me to tell but maybe 10% coco?

20231128_072909.jpg

The seedling starter soil has 3 month mini prill fertilizer built into it. I took a photo of the starter soil, it's mainly just soil rather than coco.

I took a closer look at it and it's hard for me to tell but maybe 10% coco?

20231128_072909.jpg

then feed / water like a soil.

not sure if you’re asking for technique or application method so i’ll give you my 2 cents on both.

to water the seedlings i just use a really small spray bottle that i drilled out a hole on so it just lightly comes out when used. I keep the seedlings watered more than i would at any other stage ( no long wet or dry cycles).

good luck :high-five:

not sure if you’re asking for technique or application method so i’ll give you my 2 cents on both.

to water the seedlings i just use a really small spray bottle that i drilled out a hole on so it just lightly comes out when used. I keep the seedlings watered more than i would at any other stage ( no long wet or dry cycles).

good luck :high-five:
I've got the added complication that I have peat pots to break down so I have to keep the soil wetter than I'd like to so the pots break down.

I use a qrt spray bottle and i stay about 1" from the seed if i can help it✌️ just damp. In the pic one is dry by color a light brown and in the other its damp and a dark brown just damp tgats it ✌️

IMG20231127030625.jpg

IMG20231128032313.jpg

Back
Top Bottom