Bio char

Oh totally agree, I just noticed that any of the writings I read didn't say anything about that (fermentating the grain) all's I found was that supplimenting lacto acid did exactly what you described but I probably didn't look in the right spot about the grain fermentation
This website has a lot of good stuff, but this a link to their page on fermenting for chickens. Another point they raise is that the fermenting/soaking helps rid the grains of enzyme inhibitors and anti nutrients. They feel you get more 'bang for your buck' by fermenting and the birds get better nutrition. It seems to make sense to me.

This website has a lot of good stuff, but this a link to their page on fermenting for chickens. Another point they raise is that the fermenting/soaking helps rid the grains of enzyme inhibitors and anti nutrients. They feel you get more 'bang for your buck' by fermenting and the birds get better nutrition. It seems to make sense to me.
Sure ,why not!! I'll check out the link thanks ! I like a diverse platform of info as long as it's good info alot of misinformation around is all, I'm interested in that grain fermentation it sounds helpful for overall health

Also, I supplement with Silica also which helps strengthen cell walls and so does insect frass via chitin. So I wonder if I were to stop supplement of silica and use insect frass instead which if more cost effective. I’m not opposed to the supplement of silica really because the $20 bottle I have is a year old and still over half full. Although I would go to the frass if it’s better

Would adding insect frass in addition to worm castings be advised? They generally provide the same benefits right?
I view that as being a good thing. Insect frass is different from worm castings tho. Insect frass contains Chitin which makes up the hard shell of insects and when given to soil it primes the plant to turn on it's defence against insects, and if you give Diastatic Malted Barley then that will supply the enzyme Chitinase that helps break it down.

I add them to my bin and my soil the worms don't eat all of it so I would say no it's a different benefit but I can't say for sure I know my castings are REALLY GOOD
My bin is close to two years old now and my castings are nice and dark. I did start out with coco coir and peat moss and about 100 pounds of store bought castings. My wife bought me a bag of Dr.E Compost Starter which has so many ingredients in it that I would think it would make a perfect tea!

Also, I supplement with Silica also which helps strengthen cell walls and so does insect frass via chitin. So I wonder if I were to stop supplement of silica and use insect frass instead which if more cost effective. I’m not opposed to the supplement of silica really because the $20 bottle I have is a year old and still over half full. Although I would go to the frass if it’s better
I use the Agisil 16 for my silica source no Id say keep using the silica

My bin is close to two years old now and my castings are nice and dark. I did start out with coco coir and peat moss and about 100 pounds of store bought castings. My wife bought me a bag of Dr.E Compost Starter which has so many ingredients in it that I would think it would make a perfect t.
You don't know about how good your tea is without a microscope foam is not an indicator of microbial activity

I'm going to give it a try it says I can do starter feed to so 1 cup covered in filtered water covered lightly I put a couple drops of that EM-1 in there for good measure I'll keep you updated on their progress thanks again I think this will be good 👍

IMG_20230228_070159.jpg

I would love a good microscope! Good idea. Something I’ve always wanted but always forget haha
Here's kinda what your bin should look like on the top the black stuff in front is precomosted food and mushroom compost and in the back is bedding for escape it's Saw dust next time for bedding I'll use shredded cardboard when I feed so I'll wait for the food and bedding to be gone before I do it over again usually every 4 or 5 days I have 2,000 wigglers,2000 euros and 1,000 African crawlers in my bin about 1 lb of worms per square foot of bed ,depth of bed is of no concern because composting worms live in the top couple inches anyways not a very good picture I have a cheap phone a $1,500 isn't one of my priorities 😂 the other pictures are 1 is scraps straight from the table and the second pic is of the stuff I feed my worms so I put the Bokashi or char in the first bucket then when that's full I put it in the garbage can and that's what I feed my worms it ok straight from the table I just found it's better for the worm's this way because the thermol part is almost complete otherwise it heats up too much and they can't eat it anyways

IMG_20230228_082221_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230217_095059.jpg

IMG_20230217_095115.jpg

Here's kinda what your bin should look like on the top the black stuff in front is precomosted food and mushroom compost and in the back is bedding for escape it's Saw dust next time for bedding I'll use shredded cardboard when I feed so I'll wait for the food and bedding to be gone before I do it over again usually every 4 or 5 days I have 2,000 wigglers,2000 euros and 1,000 African crawlers in my bin about 1 lb of worms per square foot of bed ,depth of bed is of no concern because composting worms live in the top couple inches anyways not a very good picture I have a cheap phone a $1,500 isn't one of my priorities 😂 the other pictures are 1 is scraps straight from the table and the second pic is of the stuff I feed my worms so I put the Bokashi or char in the first bucket then when that's full I put it in the garbage can and that's what I feed my worms it ok straight from the table I just found it's better for the worm's this way because the thermol part is almost complete otherwise it heats up too much and they can't eat it anyways

IMG_20230228_082221_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230217_095059.jpg

IMG_20230217_095115.jpg
And you add your frass alfalfa or whatever else you feed them in that first bucket that what it's nice and broken down when they get it and make sure it's not soppin wet let it dry a bit and if it smells bad you did something wrong try again don't feed it to them you'll screw up the whole thing and Just grow a batch of anerobic shit. But some guys on here swear by anerobic shit! I myself don't get it!

And you add your frass alfalfa or whatever else you feed them in that first bucket that what it's nice and broken down when they get it and make sure it's not soppin wet let it dry a bit and if it smells bad you did something wrong try again don't feed it to them you'll screw up the whole thing and Just grow a batch of anerobic shit. But some guys on here swear by anerobic shit! I myself don't get it!
I have seen people make a ferment by just letting it breakdown in water with no movement. This making anearobic ferment correct? I know there is science in it. I’ll see what I can find real quick

Nevermind haha. It produces methane gas and other harmful things to you and your plants so yea I’m with you. Pointless. Less nutrients on the finished product to and I’m finding you need a little aerobic to even make it

Back
Top Bottom