Blueberry & Durban Poison Cross Project

BlueGreen

Hi, I've just had a couple successful crops of Green Crack and Black Indica, and I thought I would go in a new direction. I bought some new seeds from crop king seeds. The Black Indica seeds came from them, so I knew I would get good stuff.

The seeds I ordered were regular Blueberry seeds and feminized Durban Poison. Contrary to normal practice for a home grower, I'm actually hoping for some males. I don't have a lot of space, just a few grow tents. What you see in the picture are 3 Durban Poison females (these will be the mothers) and 7 Blueberries. In a month or so, i will clone for gender, taking two cuttings from each plant. As soon as i know the sex, I'll actually take all the females Out of the flowering tent. Males all go in, where they can bloom until I'm able to collect their pollen. The aim is to provide myself with seed for future crops but also to cross-pollinate to intentionally create a strain which combines the best aspects of the two parents: a Durban which isn't so tall but still taller than the Blueberry, and which has the colours and aromas of the Blue. Hopefully achieve a nice head high while also producing relaxation.

In the last crop, i stressed the plants through over fertilization, and the Green Crack actually produced seeds of its own. Not a male flower to be found anywhere. So, i have also germinated 3 of those seeds, and I'll pollinate them also with the Blueberry. Down the road, I'll plant the Blueberry Durban and the Blueberry Crack, leave some males and females of each inside one Bloom tent, and create yet another hybrid.

Inside of 5 years, im hoping to create several new hybrid strains this way, and eventually set up shop. This grow journal might end up taking a year to finish, but it will "end" with fully flowering sinsemilla phenos of all types including the Blueberry, Durban, and Green Crack parent strains for comparison.

Wish me luck!
P_20181129_151422_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181130_120021_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181130_120027_vHDR_On.jpg

It's about ten days later. 12 of 13 seedlings are doing great, 1 died a couple days ago, one of the green crack plants. For now, they're all growing wonderfully and i determined yesterday that the roots extend to the bottom and the sides of the party cups. I have been using RapidStart root stimulator every 3 waterings, at about 1/4 ml per 1.5 liters. I also mix in about sensi grow, a&b, 1 ml per 1.5 liters. I've been watering with pure water every two days, then hitting them with that very light nutrient solution a couple days after that. I mix 1.5 liters to create a dilute solution, but each little cup gets only about 75 ml at a time. In all, they're mainly doing it on their own.

I made 3 main mistakes last grow: i overfertilized, failed to build up the root system, and failed to strengthen the stalks.

This time, half-strength nutes with a flush every 3rd watering (once I'm well into growth) will help prevent burning the plants.

The Roots Excelurator got moldy early in the last grow, so i stopped using it: the result was that the sparse root system couldn't use all the water I gave the plants, and the ferts just lingered in the coco. This time, the RapidStart is already helping and I'll use it until the 2nd week in flower.

In order to strengthen the stalks, i have purchased Rhino Skin. (Using almost entirely Advanced Nutrients line). Even though the seedlings are very small, the guy at the hydro store said that they're good for foliar spray once they get some leaves. Can't say if they're enjoying the Rhino Skin in particular, but they are all doing very well.

It's slow to go from seed to flower, but I'm really looking forward to this grow. By spring, I'll have hundreds of seeds for outdoor use.

P_20181209_144638_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20181209_144626_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181209_144651_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181209_144708_vHDR_On.jpg

Since I intend to send these into flower early, around 5 weeks from germination, i transplanted them today into 2 gallon pots. Just the Blueberries, because they are the only ones who might give me some males. I'll transplant the Durbans soon, into some 2 gallon square pots I have. They will veg a little longer, and I'll try to quadline them. As soon as im able to collect pollen, I'll do so, hand off the blueberry females to my woman, and put the durbans into Bloom.
P_20181212_163333_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181212_163342_vHDR_On.jpg

Well, I've really noticed a difference in the rate of growth between this grow and my previous two. I realized that it must be an air exchange / co2 issue, because in the warmer months I had the window wide open and currently it's almost closed, being December. Other factors are the same or better than I had than previously. The temperature inside the tent is good, about 25 celsius. I've been delicate with the rooting booster. The transplants went very smoothly. But the seedlings are still just a few inches tall, even though the germinated seeds were actually planted 3 weeks ago.

To address this problem, I bought the Exhale passive co2 generator and hung it up today. Fingers crossed. I thought they would be a little more filled out by now.
P_20181214_122548_vHDR_On.jpg

Back
Top Bottom