Blueberry & Durban Poison Cross Project

Because in the past I've been guilty of overfertilizing my plants, i have been very cautious and slow. Rather than assuming some kind of feed schedule, I've been waiting for the plants to let me know when it's time to start feeding. Now, I'm getting the message. Looking at these pictures you will see that the plants need nitrogen. Blueberry and Durban both. However, the pots still feel kind of heavy. Therefore I'm going to take some advice I read in Emilya's Tutorials: when you think you have figured out what your plans need, Wait. They're growing in coco and perlite, so there's no nutrition in the medium. But if i wait until tomorrow to add a nutrient solution, the plants will have a chance to use up some more of the water in the pots. Can't help it. I'm feeling more invested and therefore more cautious this time around.

The first two pics show Blueberry #1, the tallest and most vigorous of the bunch. Yellowing leaves on lower growth equals nitrogen deficiency.

The following two pics are Durban #1 and #2, lower leaves yellowing also.

I'm using advanced nutrients sensi grow a&b, rapidstart by GH, and procal by green planet. Tomorrow, I'll give the plants their first good feeding. That, combined with the co2 bag, and I expect to see real improvement within about 3 days.
P_20181214_171106_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181214_171120_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181214_171135_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181214_171145_vHDR_On.jpg

Today, i gave the Blueberry plants their first full feeding. They got 1 ml per liter each of Sensi Grow A&B, .25 ml per liter of RapidStart, and 1 ml per liter of CalMag. The EC going in was 0.5. The runoff EC was a little higher, indicating that some nutrients from minor feedings previous still remained. However it was still in the low range, under 1.0 EC. So I went with it, rather than adding more water.

Fingers crossed!

Here's a little freak of nature.
This little Blueberry was the last to germinate and sprout, and it had a tough time shucking the seed casing. As you can see, it has 3 cotyledons and 3 serrated leaves all in the same node. Any ideas ?
Fairly common mutation these days with all these crosses... I am seeing one of these out of every 100 nowadays I think. It is an interesting grow... not all 3 of those branches will remain dominant.

Interesting cross you hope to achieve and I happen to be growing Dutch Passions Durban and Blueberry right now. I hope you get the male plants your looking for and I am watching to see how you like that exhale co2 bag.

Interesting cross you hope to achieve and I happen to be growing Dutch Passions Durban and Blueberry right now. I hope you get the male plants your looking for and I am watching to see how you like that exhale co2 bag.
Hey man, awesome. One thing about the co2 bag. Smells like yeast in here. However, i can handle that if the plants get big. We'll see!

Do you happen to have any pics /journal from the black Indica grow?
I currently have 5 growing in my tent so curious to see how yours turned out.
Thanks
I overfertilized these guys and one of them actually died. The last 3 weeks or so were just basically flushing, with a little bit of Overdrive in there.

They flowered under a 600w led. The buds got pretty heavy compared to the thin stems, and I had a hell of a time keeping things upright. My advice: include a silica additive and concentrate on the roots. You'll be happy with the smoke, and the yield. Despite nearly killing them through my laziness (not checking runoff EC), I still got about an ounce per plant. Next time I plan to get more. Good luck!

I overfertilized these guys and one of them actually died. The last 3 weeks or so were just basically flushing, with a little bit of Overdrive in there.

They flowered under a 600w led. The buds got pretty heavy compared to the thin stems, and I had a hell of a time keeping things upright. My advice: include a silica additive and concentrate on the roots. You'll be happy with the smoke, and the yield. Despite nearly killing them through my laziness (not checking runoff EC), I still got about an ounce per plant. Next time I plan to get more. Good luck!
I’m sure you will man.
Thanks for the heads up on the smell of the exhale bags. Do you happen to have a co2 monitor to see how much it’s adding to your environment?

I’m sure you will man.
Thanks for the heads up on the smell of the exhale bags. Do you happen to have a co2 monitor to see how much it’s adding to your environment?
I don't have a co2 meter yet. For now, I'm going to judge by rate of growth. In the warmer months, when I had the window cranked open, the plants grew faster and bigger.

I don't have a co2 meter yet. For now, I'm going to judge by rate of growth. In the warmer months, when I had the window cranked open, the plants grew faster and bigger.
No biggie! Just curious. :):thumb::thanks: I’ve been contemplating adding co2 but I really kinda want to avoid a sealed tent. I was hoping the bags would give me a way to try it without committing three hundred bucks or so on a co2 setup

The efforts I made the other day seem to be paying off. That is, adding the co2 and finally incorporating a full feed of seedling-strength nutrients. The leaves have greened up nicely, the seedlings have gotten taller, and everything now has 4 nodes, with the 5th peeking through.

Three Durbans all look more or less the same, but the Blueberries have sorted themselves into categories. 4 of them are basically identical. #7 is a trifoil mutant. #3 is a runt which I haven't culled only because I'm not lacking space. And #1, which germinated first and sprouted first, is the largest and tallest, with the longest leaves. I actually fimmed that one the other day. Overall, the modifications I made did a lot of good, and these poor winter plants are starting to show some promise.

P_20181218_143439_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181218_143439_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181218_143449_vHDR_On.jpg

Couple more changes in the last few days.

Two days ago I realized I had an extra light hanging around: the 600w LED that I usually think of as the "Bloom Tent" light. Funny how when you categorize something, it can take a while to see it as something else. So, i now have two 450s in the Auto tent, and this 600 in Veg.

Also, yesterday i topped all but one of the Blueberries, and two of the Durbans. They're still very short, but they all have 4 nodes with 1 coming through, so I went for it.

Today I was surprised to see that the effect of topping them was that they got a little bigger: just a little more spacing between the nodes. The largest one, Blueberry #1, looks a bit lopsided because i fimmed it by accident, however it is beginning to send its branches to the sky.

In terms of fertilization, i very carefully made up a solution of Sensi Grow, Procal, RapidStart, Sensizym, Rhino Skin, and B52. Sure, several components, but very light dosage. The final EC before application was 0.5. I fed sparingly, trying to get enough runoff to read the EC, but not so much that the medium would be saturated and wet for days.

The runoff EC was 1.1, which tells me that there was still nutrient in the coco/perlite mix. It also tells me that next time i water, i can omit the food.

In the following pics you can see first of all the Runt, which has exactly the same structure as the others, only smaller. Then the tallest one and its newly-budding branches. The third pic shows the garden: no there's no bugs in there, I just have the sticky traps up for prevention. Last, one of the mainstream Blueberries which i topped yesterday, eager to grow and give me some seeds and buds.

P_20181221_072740_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181221_074104_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181221_074745_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20181221_074756_vHDR_On.jpg

about the same. Grown from crop king seeds.
Ahh Dutch Passion here. I tried my hand at CKS Blueberry about two years ago. They had alot of customer service issues at the time and I moved on to greener pastures. My blueberry somehow revegged on me and it was already kinda ugly so I culled it. None of the other seeds germinated on me.
CKS must have worked some things out cause yours look grrrrreat!

Ahh Dutch Passion here. I tried my hand at CKS Blueberry about two years ago. They had alot of customer service issues at the time and I moved on to greener pastures. My blueberry somehow revegged on me and it was already kinda ugly so I culled it. None of the other seeds germinated on me.
CKS must have worked some things out cause yours look grrrrreat!
I bought my black Indica seeds on whim from cks, they were great. I am kicking myself for not keeping some clones

I bought my black Indica seeds on whim from cks, they were great. I am kicking myself for not keeping some clones
I hear ya there! It’s one of the real reasons I wanted to go back to photoperiod plants after running autos for so long.

Back
Top Bottom