Bonsaiweed's Dwarf Low Flyer, Indoor Tent, Soil, LED, First Grow, 2018, Terminated

Day 25 (from sprout)

The weather changes too fast around here......

Ms. Big Seed is doing her thing. She is growing, but her pace is quite slow. The plan was to apply Epsom Salt water to her last night, but the pH was a little low (5.8). I put one drop of Hades Down (in a quart with the Epsom Salt) and the pH went to 10........ Ugh!!!.... I could have put some nutrient in to bring it back into range, but I didn't want to start adding a lot of things to a plant that already has problems. My sample NFTG nutrient package doesn't contain Olympus Up. I didn't have any extra RO water I could waste for a retry, so I just watered her from the bottom (RO water only @ 6.5 pH).

I also watered Ms. Small Seed (RO water @ 6.5 pH). I took a couple of small branches that were in the way and released all the cola branches to let them raise up some. I made sure the main stem was still held down. I'm going to allow the branches to start growing up, and I will train them with pipe cleaners to spread them out. I didn't take a picture afterward, but you will see the result in the next update (if I do not bore you to death with this one :rolleyes:). I found a few spots on Ms. Small Seed's leaves, but I think they are just places that I've hurt during the LST sessions (ends of wire). I'm watching to ensure she doesn't have some other problem. If they get worse, I'll include some pictures.

Both plants got 1 quart each of RO water at a pH @ 6.5

I had to turn down my cob light, for the heatsinks were too hot. I could not hold my hand on them. Although the maximum temperature for the LED chip is 275 deg F (135 deg C), I'm not a fan of running an LED very hot. They run much longer if you can keep them cool. I like to keep the heatsink temperature under 122 deg F which is the threshold of pain for most people. I dialed them back to 50w each or a combined 150w. This lowered the temps of the heatsinks (after a while) to a reasonable temperature. I could easily hold my hand on them at that power. I also lowered them to keep the relative power somewhat the same at the plant level. The LEDs are about 20 inches now from the tops of the plants. No signs of light stress.

Temperatures, in the tent, are running 75-86 deg F and humidity is 33-51% RH. I'm not liking that temperature, so the exhaust went back to the window. I'm going to need to find a way to control the temperature and humidity much better. All of this is with the LED driver outside the tent. The driver gets really hot. I'm not really happy about its temperature. I didn't pull out my temperature gun, but I may need to put a fan on the driver as well. I may see how hot it is later with my IR gun.

It's going to take a while to get a system worked out to deal with temperatures and humidity. I'll need to think about the best way to control these. I can throw an AC unit and a heater at the problem (heater is already being utilized), but I'm trying to keep this within a reasonable amount of money and equipment. Dehumidifier and humidifier are also in that equation.

I'll just deal with it this round, and work on a plan to fix it for the next. I will also need to make a choice for a permanent location for setting up my tent when growing. I'm not planning to grow year round (at this point).

Pictures are what everyone wants to see:

Are you giving strait r/o water at this point? I never feed strait r/o water. There is nothing in it. It doesn’t even conduct electricity. Spring water is your friend early. Then use r/o water with your nutes. Less chances of causing micro nutrient problems in my experience.

New light = environment checkup lol. Fan placement is key!

The new light creates less heat in the tent than the last. It's the weather here which can't make up its mind if it wants to be summer or spring. My last light put off way more heat.

My fan is blowing straight on the girls....

We will see what happens.

I don't remember 1985 at all...... did that year exist??
Don't ask me a child of the 90s lol

I still listen to Humble Pie and little Ricky Derringer!

Who???

well, :rolleyes:... really

Errrm Yh amy I'm really sorry.. I was highly intoxicated and very sleep deprived at the time... but if she makes you feel young right?!?!

Also I have started my grow journal.

I'll pop in later.. everyones just getting so busy lmao. Read read read..

QUOTE="Bonsaiweed, post: 3935641, member: 322299"]The new light creates less heat in the tent than the last. It's the weather here which can't make up its mind if it wants to be summer or spring. My last light put off way more heat.

My fan is blowing straight on the girls....

We will see what happens.[/QUOTE]

I have my fans positioned to hit the walls.. both circulating the whole tent upwards towards extractor.

Theres a few horror stories I've heard called windburn lmao so I avoid direct blowing on the plants from leaves

For sure can see that stress. Fingers crossed for you.

If you are referring to the Yellow Crowned Princess, she is the result of a severe case of sulfur deficiency that wasn't diagnosed fast enough (I thought I had damaged her top). She started showing signs while still a sprout. I believe the mother plant was sulfur deficient, and it did something to the seed. I am treating her, but trying to not overdo the Epsom Salt treatments.

I'm just nursing her along, just because. She should have been culled, but I'll probably end my growing season soon, for the heat will get beyond control, and the humidity will be ridiculous.

The situation may change, but at this point, I'll stop after this harvest until fall. If I do not get enough (looking like it). I'll relocate the tent and try again.

I have my fans positioned to hit the walls.. both circulating the whole tent upwards towards extractor.

Theres a few horror stories I've heard called windburn lmao so I avoid direct blowing on the plants from leaves

The fan is very small and is a little distance away. It doesn't really create a lot of wind hitting them. More like turbulence. I haven't had any "wind burn" that I can speak of. Not sure the "Yellow Princess" cares for it, but she doesn't like anything.

Also, just to make sure everyone noticed. These are dwarfs and have started flower. They only have 4-6 weeks left if that.

Small little buggers.

Also, just to make sure everyone noticed. These are dwarfs and have started flower. They only have 4-6 weeks left if that.

Small little buggers.

Well I'll be right along side you then I think.. my accidental flowering started about 10 days ago . My sensi skunk strain is 45-50 days flower time.. 4-5 weeks left but I'd like to leave an extra week.. I'm in no rush lmao... then we need jam jars

I've been surprised by the responses I've gotten. I had thought some of these guys younger than I. But you do see, we tend to "clump" together. Not that I have a problem with younger or older. It's like we know how to communicate well with ages closer to ours. Strange......really.

I was thinking when I joined the forum, this was a young "mans" game. Evidently, the old fogeys can play too. :rofl: <---fell down can't get up.

Reminds me of the first time I went to a medical marijuana dispensary. I expected it to be filled with young 20 something's. To my surprise the average age was in their 60's. Also the biggest selling items were the edibles.

Damn Ms Big seed is sure the ugly duckling. But you have improved her health so much since she first started. I think that in itself deserves a round of Applause:bravo:

And here is to her being the swan we all think she is:rollit:

Keep it Frosty my Friend:cool:

I wish I would have done it sooner and faster, but I really believed the whole time she would never make it. I'm also worried about the Mg in the Epsom Salt. I'm trying to not give it too fast.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping she will become a nice cola, but she may have a few as fast as they are growing.

The joy of gardening for me is killing off the weaklings.

They are not done yet. I have about 10 more days (give or take a few) I can train Ms.Small Seed. Preflowers popped up about 7 days ago, but no more as of yet. I'm making RO as we speak.

If they continue growing as they are right now until the next time they need water, I will probably go ahead and start with some light nutrients. It won't hurt anything. I may waste some nutrients, but I do not want them to slow down any due to needing something. But I also do not want them to have excessive nutrients, which is hard with organics.

I wish I would have done it sooner and faster, but I really believed the whole time she would never make it. I'm also worried about the Mg in the Epsom Salt. I'm trying to not give it too fast.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping she will become a nice cola, but she may have a few as fast as they are growing.

I think i read somewhere that by adding extra Mg in the flowering stage will turn the Delta 9 to change to delta 8 tetrahydrocannabinol. I believe this is supposed to make better pain meds. Can't remember where i read that thou.

Either way next round should be pretty simple compared to dealing with Ms Big seed.

Keep up the good work for sure Ms small seed loves what you do:smokin:

They are not done yet. I have about 10 more days (give or take a few) I can train Ms.Small Seed. Preflowers popped up about 7 days ago, but no more as of yet. I'm making RO as we speak.

If they continue growing as they are right now until the next time they need water, I will probably go ahead and start with some light nutrients. It won't hurt anything. I may waste some nutrients, but I do not want them to slow down any due to needing something. But I also do not want them to have excessive nutrients, which is hard with organics.
Bless your commitment.

Day 26 (from sprout)

When the candle at the end of that dark tunnel is blown out.......

Events have led to the termination of my journal, and my current carnival of laughs.

Nothing too serious, but serious enough to terminate this session and take a break for a while.

I don't want to give too many details, but I was utilizing a second property, and the one person (not affiliated with law enforcement) whom I didn't want to know, broke into my property and did a lot of snooping.

I always put things a certain way and noticed immediately that someone had paid me a visit.

I've been working a lot on this property and no one would have ever questioned my time being spent there. There are some distant neighbors that are friendly, and we speak on rare occasion. I'm sure at some point they will inform me of a visitor if they noticed him come or go (doubtful).

The plants were destroyed, everything packed and moved in 3.5 hours (middle of the night). I'm pretty beat today, but better than my door being kicked in (by law enforcement) at 4:30 am. I'm not saying this will happen, but I'm not taking any chances. I don't trust the person who paid the visit.

It's not the end, just a break.

It was just time for the pendulum to swing in a way I dislike.

The positives of this event. This allows me to analyze, what I need to do, to control my grow environment better, and implement those changes while continuing to work on the property. It also allows me to not spend extra money trying to control a less than ideal environment, and have a dismal yield. I will be able to iron out exactly where I want my tent to be every time I set it up. I've made a great set of contacts here that couldn't be better in my opinion. I have a lot in common with many of the members I frequently converse with. I've gained a great insight into how much I didn't or don't know.

The negatives of this event. Time wasted (of course). Two seeds, not a big deal really. Power and the nutrients that I've used. And the worst, another 3 months (minimum) without medication, even if I started again today.

Now for the rest....

I'll still be here. I like reading the everyday events of the people whom I follow or the journals I follow. I'll still spew my theories upon people from the information I've read in an attempt to help, even if I sometimes get it wrong.

I may not talk much for a while. I'm pretty devastated about the situation. I know you guys will comment on finding another place or using my primary residence, which I know will not happen.

I'll be lurking.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom