Breaking Brix: Buck's DIYs

That's way cool Buck, I'm interested to see this process.

So if you buy a 4 test kit do you have to send in all 4 at the same time or could you send in say 1 every other month or even say like 2 per year?

You would have to send all 4. It only comes with 1 card and 4 stakes. I mailed it yesterday, they should have it Monday. Hopefully we'll find out by maybe Wednesday, but definitely next week. It's easy to do, only took 10 minutes. I went back on their site, they are testing for the Y chromosome from DNA. I always read that seeds can go either way male or female, but starting to seem like it's predetermined.

Got frame bolted up, and all the heatsink holes drilled.
420-magazine-mobile1294418893.jpg
420-magazine-mobile658462722.jpg

Used this cheap harbor freight caliper for laying holes out.
420-magazine-mobile281705601.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2122507074.jpg

I cut few 3/4" square flat stock and drilled holes, using as washers. The boards aren't as wide as the pin heatsinks, needed spacers
420-magazine-mobile1240842894.jpg
420-magazine-mobile987197087.jpg
420-magazine-mobile735555758.jpg

The last pic, I still need to cut 2-54" pieces of angle. Going to bolt them to each rail 10" in from the edge, I'll put my eyebolts here for lifting.

Going to paint orange and black. Already had some black, and the orange was cheap because they couldn't sell it lol .

It's kind of interesting this sex testing. It does go against a lot of current knowledge saying that the sex is influenced by genetics but the final decision is made 3rd week. Dutch passion found that to be the case in the late 90s.

""Feminised Cannabis Seeds"
Courtesy of Dutch Passion

In November 1998 we introduced our "Female Cannabis Seed". We did this after our own experiments showed that from female cannabis seed, we acquired almost 100% female off-spring.

In the meantime we are six months further on. We have received a lot of feed-back from our customers. The reactions are mostly positive! Clients have successfully produced almost 100% female off-spring. However there have been reactions from customers who found a few hermaphrodites or males plants.

Apparently environmental influences affect the sex of the female cannabis seeds as well. Because of the fact that Female marijuana seeds do not grow into female marijuana plants under all circumstances. Thus we changed the name from "Female Cannabis Seeds" into "Feminised Cannabis Seeds".

From literature and from our own findings it appears that the growth of a male or a female cannabis plant from marijunaa seed, except for the predisposition in the gender chromosomes, also depends on various environmental factors. Not only the origination of entirely male or female marijuana plants is partly affected by these environmental factors, the number of male and female cannabis flowers on a hermaphrodite plant is affected as well."

All the stuff we thought and read about seeds, I guess is wrong. Phylos just told me they could actually test the seed to see if male or female, but seed would be wasted. I always thought there was chance to go either way.

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water yet. People have gotten full on males from Fem seeds and they would test out as female since no Y chromosome is involved. I will have to give some skepticism for awhile. If it was only based on x an Y chromosomes we would expect very close to a 50/50 ratio male/female. But many strains seem to lean much more one way or another. I'll still keep an open mind for now.

I think my last drenching of mite killer then followed up with 3 drenchings of leaf wash in 9 day span has done some serious harm. Hopefully I slowed them down, I know I did the plants lol. There was a lot of yellowing after last spray. This is 1st time seeing these since Friday, lights were off when I checked on little ones.
420-magazine-mobile1596599148.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1110491371.jpg

The 2 cali og's in far back, they are tallest. They seem to be doing good after the torture sessions. They just have white spots from mites. I should have started seed earlier, I would have pulled everything few weeks ago.

Just checked my account with Phylos, they already begun testing. That's pretty quick, they didn't get package until 1 today, less than 3 hrs later already started. I have 42 test left, it seems pretty legit, we'll find out if females are females in couple months. Going to veg at least 7-8 weeks. Won't start counting till another week.
420-magazine-mobile360381768.jpg

Here's the babies at just 10 days old
420-magazine-mobile259754492.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1220445214.jpg

The 2nd pic is cherry vanilla cookies, these started quicker than the huckleberry kush' s and the lone sour strawberry. Also just finished mixing another batch of soil. That way in case I have more than 4 females, or so I can start a kosher kush. Wanting to try, maybe just put in a 7 gal instead of 15.

Don't wanna spoil the fun here but I saw you posted the results in Duggan's thread!

You got your 4 and a good distribution of 3 strains too! Nice...real nice. I'd be happy with that!

Back
Top Bottom