Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

Excellent journal as you have so many strains going. I'm extra interested in outdoor journals and will be keeping my eyes closely on this one. They are looking fantastic now, you've got some good height on them and that's before they stretch in flower. You should be pulling some lush sticky buds of those babies this summer. You most definitely have my attention.

Welcome KushGod. Cool name. Glad to have you join us. Join right in anytime you wish. Those outdoor girls were from a couple of summers ago. But several outdoor growers here....some are old timers.

What's up BL... I read this today and thought of the 420 fam.. Some interesting info on Terps being more than just a flavor.. Copy and posted from Sc labs. The future of the custom high?and a reason for the sativa/indica high? There was more but I didn't want to copy the whole page and these are the main terpinoids. Your thoughts on the subject?

You are correct Twox....different terps for different ailments & effect. Still learning about it myself....just scratching the surface. Thanks for posting info for all. On the Annunaki site, he lists the most comprehensive info on terpenes that I've seen. Been using it as a go to guide.

:circle-of-love: :Namaste:

When I compare growing styles & techniques locally & to a lesser extent on 420, a couple of things that I've done for a long time that work well for me but seem to be a bit different from many other growers. These are my heavy, maybe even extreme, use of calcium & microbes. I use both liberally & consistently from start to finish. Today I'll talk a little bit about my calcium usage & sources. Even before switching to RO from my high PPM tap (400 to 800 range), I used copious amounts of calcium....mostly mixed into the soil mix. Bone meal, gypsum, crab shell meal, oyster shell meal & dolomite lime. There is really no such thing as calcium toxicity. The downside to heavy calcium use is that it may, however lead to a raised pH. The benefits are plentiful.....excellent bonding w/ other nutrients, stronger plants, mineral dense medicinal flowers, smooth & flavorful flowers. So much more too. I simply love calcium for growing.

While I continue to mix multiple calcium sources into my soils, I had to replace the lost tap water calcium. Here are the two that I'm using to supplement the soil calcium. Pretty much use them every feed from veg through finished flowers. The Kelzyme Element XX is 35% calcium carbonate from ancient sea beds from what is now the Nevada desert near Elko. I've been using the micronized version that literally melts in the nutrient solution. I may get some of the granular version as well to use in the soil mix. The NFTG Herculean Harvest is pure liquid bone meal. No EDTA crap, just humic acid & calcium phosphate. These 2 are like gold to me. Using these in combination to supplement the soil calcium has led to increased yields & probably the smoothest herb I've grown.

IMG_362413.jpg

Hope this may be helpful or useful. Next time I'll post a bit on my microbe sources & usage.

You got that right about calcium. Don't ya hate them bronze edges on leaves? Keepem Green

Glad i found your journal lots of good info to read up on in here im sure.. looks like your latest post is pure gold too. I agree calcium is very important and i have a few questions.. first would you suggest i get rid of my nitrogen derived calmag and solely use the liquid bone meal and epsom salt i have? Thought the calmag would be good for veg but if the other two are better in your opinion i will not use it for my cannabis plants. Second how much liquid bone meal do you use in veg then flower? Third i have all these nutes with the edta crap in them do you suggest i not use them and what would be better to take their place? Been thinking hard about trying to go full organic this grow but i need to learn more before i dive in and spend the money. I am willing to throw out like $60-70 worth of nutes too if it means the smoke will be better. The bud ive been smoking this past week is leaving my throat a little raw feeling and ive been coughing up a lot more stuff it seems. Thanks brightlight, better late then never!

When I compare growing styles & techniques locally & to a lesser extent on 420, a couple of things that I've done for a long time that work well for me but seem to be a bit different from many other growers. These are my heavy, maybe even extreme, use of calcium & microbes. I use both liberally & consistently from start to finish. Today I'll talk a little bit about my calcium usage & sources. Even before switching to RO from my high PPM tap (400 to 800 range), I used copious amounts of calcium....mostly mixed into the soil mix. Bone meal, gypsum, crab shell meal, oyster shell meal & dolomite lime. There is really no such thing as calcium toxicity. The downside to heavy calcium use is that it may, however lead to a raised pH. The benefits are plentiful.....excellent bonding w/ other nutrients, stronger plants, mineral dense medicinal flowers, smooth & flavorful flowers. So much more too. I simply love calcium for growing.

While I continue to mix multiple calcium sources into my soils, I had to replace the lost tap water calcium. Here are the two that I'm using to supplement the soil calcium. Pretty much use them every feed from veg through finished flowers. The Kelzyme Element XX is 35% calcium carbonate from ancient sea beds from what is now the Nevada desert near Elko. I've been using the micronized version that literally melts in the nutrient solution. I may get some of the granular version as well to use in the soil mix. The NFTG Herculean Harvest is pure liquid bone meal. No EDTA crap, just humic acid & calcium phosphate. These 2 are like gold to me. Using these in combination to supplement the soil calcium has led to increased yields & probably the smoothest herb I've grown.

IMG_362413.jpg

Hope this may be helpful or useful. Next time I'll post a bit on my microbe sources & usage.

I find this really interesting about the additional calcium. I have a little bonemeal added to my compost this summer and I didn't use it last summer so I'm keen to see if there's a difference. I'm certainly going to read up more on it though. I see people adding cal mag but I'm not even sure if that's available in the UK as I've never needed it. I usually add some sulphate of pot ash to my flower pots and use a PK booster for flowering as well and I also use blackstrap molasses and the occasional dose of Epsom salts but yet to use a proper calcium boost. Definitely going to look into this today as I want to fine tune everything prior to inducing flowering.

Drive bye. BTW that Tahoe Star got alittle leggy growing under our ' Fine Oregon liquid sunshine' So I had to prune it back abit. I use Elmer's glue or wax to seal the cuts, to help keep out them molds and bugs.. Keepem Green

I find this really interesting about the additional calcium. I have a little bonemeal added to my compost this summer and I didn't use it last summer so I'm keen to see if there's a difference. I'm certainly going to read up more on it though. I see people adding cal mag but I'm not even sure if that's available in the UK as I've never needed it. I usually add some sulphate of pot ash to my flower pots and use a PK booster for flowering as well and I also use blackstrap molasses and the occasional dose of Epsom salts but yet to use a proper calcium boost. Definitely going to look into this today as I want to fine tune everything prior to inducing flowering.

I curious for these answers BL. The flower fuel has molasses in it I think I read so does that mean dont use any more "molasses" in flower??
Toasted id hate to throw away $60. of stuff too and is one reason I dont change. I think about switching from ff though when I get to the last of a bottle.
Ive been using the Cal/Mag as a foliar too and wonder if anyone else does?
Happy Sunday.

Not much going on over this way....the recent 9 plant run is done. 9 under the Mega gave a record indoor harvest. Feeling fortunate & blessed to have harvested 23 in 2017. Sapped the energy & need for planned outdoor batch. Had planned to run ~15 regular seeds in smaller pots to see what would turn up. The big ground holes are getting more & more shaded from neighboring trees. Some huge redwoods to the west & some awful looking wild ass growing tree to the south plus uphill are now really mucking up my outdoor grow spots. Down to only ~7 hrs. of good sun anymore. Seems rather meager compared to 12 hours indoors. Too bad it's so hard to find Romulan seeds anymore....love that strain & can thrive on 5 hrs. a day. But I do have a dispensary Romulan bag seed that I've been thinking of trying inside. Think at least 12 yrs. old. Maybe shot already?

Set up a 3rd tent, another 4x4, removed from flower tent. Plan was to start outdoor batch in new tent but time drifted. Instead of putting 5-6 wk. old plants outside by now, I have nothing. Now that Old Med Man is gone :Namaste: I gotta be one of the oldest farts here now. I'm going to change plans & grow inside during the summer to see if I can pull it off. 2 tents upstairs was too much heat but that's changed now. Lots of daydreaming on next line up....always love it. Enough cookies for awhile...back to some 91 crosses & OG's I think.

IHG Purple Animal Kush
Animal Cookies x Mendocino Purple Kush (by CSI... Mendo. Purple x Bubba)
Squat w/ tight laterals. Not quite totem pole style. Got these seeds as seed bank owner's choice to replace for mia Cannarado pack. Knew AC herms but many say it's their preferred cookie. Definitely herm'ed & more sacs than I usually see but ok in the end. Only some small lowers seeded. Fat boys too. True definition "golf ball" buds....fat & round....always if true Bubba. Strength definitely there but not "up" enough for me. Clean, mild flavor....some Bubba earthy spice & coffee. That characteristic "purple" taste too. Would grow again for plant, not so much effect. Hard to resist a plant with very pretty flowers. Photos from little I kept so smaller buds. Patients love the big ones.

IMG_351815.jpg
IMG_359617.jpg
IMG_359814.jpg
IMG_360016.jpg
IMG_360317.jpg
IMG_360112.jpg

:thanks: :circle-of-love: :Namaste:

Doesn't get any better than those gems, they are stunning and look tasty as can be. I wanted to get something similar from IHG, but shied away due to the Animal stability. I've got my eye on a couple things from them though.

I'm also Cookied the hell out :lot-o-toke:
Not sure if it's just me, but I built a tolerance to it pretty fast, while the Chems seem to hit me much more consistently.
Be nice to see you throw some classic cuts with new twists. :Namaste:

Nice update BL. Tasty looking buds too.. Sorry about the hermie, makes it tuff when they make buds like a keeper. Even IH recognized this strain as unstable and doesn't run her anymore so if someone does find a stable cut, it will be something special.

Any body else loving this cool CA weather in freaking June? I swear it was like 110 about this time last year..
20170611_181542.jpg

Nice update BL. Tasty looking buds too.. Sorry about the hermie, makes it tuff when they make buds like a keeper. Even IH recognized this strain as unstable and doesn't run her anymore so if someone does find a stable cut, it will be something special.

Any body else loving this cool CA weather in freaking June? I swear it was like 110 about this time last year..
20170611_181542.jpg

Incredible weather huh!! its actually chilly today. It will be 100 deg. next week. All that cold weather going east.
Bl, my sun is around 8hrs in the yard too. Its working. I trimmed on some bushes a lil yesterday to let some more afternoon light in but then that lets in motion detector light from the neighbor.
I swear the color on those buds are incredible Bl!! Great Day.

Beautiful buds man.. itd be tough so say no to growing those again! Do you guys actually do research on finding the best strains or is it more word of mouth? Assuming the latter.. do you guys go for the most potent flavorful type strains or something that will give you a good yield on top of the two? Obviously everyone wants plants that give you lbs and get you high as ever lol cant wait to see what the two plants that i bought from bonza will do for me. Recently ive been seeing where some people dont use freebies cause of mix ups are more likely and what not.. but what if that freebie is better than anything you bought? Idk if the strains i bought are any good honestly lol but we will find out!

Beautiful buds man.. itd be tough so say no to growing those again! Do you guys actually do research on finding the best strains or is it more word of mouth? Assuming the latter.. do you guys go for the most potent flavorful type strains or something that will give you a good yield on top of the two? Obviously everyone wants plants that give you lbs and get you high as ever lol cant wait to see what the two plants that i bought from bonza will do for me. Recently ive been seeing where some people dont use freebies cause of mix ups are more likely and what not.. but what if that freebie is better than anything you bought? Idk if the strains i bought are any good honestly lol but we will find out!

I just harvested 5 oz or so off a freebie - she smells great!
I'm excited to taste her after she dries.

You got that right about calcium. Don't ya hate them bronze edges on leaves? Keepem Green

Switching to RO caused the spots & bronze until I added the Kelzyme. 35% Ca. Maybe good for your low Ca water too?

That's some great info, I'll have to check out that Kelzyme. I consider Ca to be the single most important element to get right. Absolutely critical if you are growing haze crosses and sativa doms. :thumb:

Sourced from ancient seabed so plenty of good minerals in Kelzyme too. Micronized version dissolves better than other powdered Ca sources I've used. Not expensive. Worth a look CS.

Glad i found your journal lots of good info to read up on in here im sure.. looks like your latest post is pure gold too. I agree calcium is very important and i have a few questions.. first would you suggest i get rid of my nitrogen derived calmag and solely use the liquid bone meal and epsom salt i have? Thought the calmag would be good for veg but if the other two are better in your opinion i will not use it for my cannabis plants. Second how much liquid bone meal do you use in veg then flower? Third i have all these nutes with the edta crap in them do you suggest i not use them and what would be better to take their place? Been thinking hard about trying to go full organic this grow but i need to learn more before i dive in and spend the money. I am willing to throw out like $60-70 worth of nutes too if it means the smoke will be better. The bud ive been smoking this past week is leaving my throat a little raw feeling and ive been coughing up a lot more stuff it seems. Thanks brightlight, better late then never!

Some good questions & points toasted. Most liquid Cal Mags also have a little Fe. Fe is fine, but if you put Fe in solution, EDTA or some other chelating agent has to be used to keep it in solution. I try to avoid any non-organic chelating agents. No use to waste your CaMg but watch how you use it in flower if it is nitrate formulation. I use ~4 tbs/gal. liquid bone meal in mid flower, less before & after mid flower. Sorry I may have misled you a bit...that liquid bone meal is only 1% Ca. Picture has a couple other Ca sources I have around. The GO is organic CaMg but in carbonate form & 5% Ca. The Demeters is 4% Ca in phosphate form. No Mg in it. If organics interest you, start learning about it & switch over as feasible/practical. No use to throw out what has been working for you unless you're really fed up w/ synthetics.

Before retiring I used to hit up dispensaries near work at lunchtime. They were still allowed to use "organic" label then, no more. Was this fine grower/vendor w/ best strains who was hydro grower. Loved his work but usually came with chest tightness & even headaches the next day. Never happened w/ the organic offerings. That's when I decided to move my own gardening to complete organics. The flavor & terps. are hard to beat. I've found most breeders are now organic in their work too. Just my preference & no knock on other styles.

IMG_362612.jpg

Ca might be called the "4th" nutrient behind NPK. Necessary but how much is up to you. My tap had high Ca levels & helped me grow good herb. The tap had to make way for RO due to the high bicarbonate level that reeked havoc w/ my pH. My high Ca usage works for me, but your water & soil may call for something different. Ca bonds so well w/ other elements to promote healthy, strong, pest & mold resistant plants. No known toxicity. Trichomes are said to be ~65% Ca. Mineral dense flowers are said to the most medicinal. My current focus is working on boosting the medicinal qualities of my herb.

Updates, BL? .

Thanks for the friendly kick in the pants Skunk.

Drive bye. BTW that Tahoe Star got alittle leggy growing under our ' Fine Oregon liquid sunshine' So I had to prune it back abit. I use Elmer's glue or wax to seal the cuts, to help keep out them molds and bugs.. Keepem Green

:rofl: My Tahoe Star is about 4" from the light.
I think she's still going too, couple more inches. :tommy:

Good info guys....not surprised. The Cali Tahoe grows easily 6+ ft. outside & Sensi Star isn't far behind. Plus you guys use pretty big pots inside. My indoor Tahoe & recent SS were tall even in 2 gal.

I curious for these answers BL. The flower fuel has molasses in it I think I read so does that mean dont use any more "molasses" in flower??
Toasted id hate to throw away $60. of stuff too and is one reason I dont change. I think about switching from ff though when I get to the last of a bottle.
Ive been using the Cal/Mag as a foliar too and wonder if anyone else does?
Happy Sunday.

Sorry 4D....not familiar with "flower fuel". Molasses is microbe food, not plant food. Even if you run synthetics, you have some microbe population, just not as dense. So not wasted.

Doesn't get any better than those gems, they are stunning and look tasty as can be. I wanted to get something similar from IHG, but shied away due to the Animal stability. I've got my eye on a couple things from them though.

I'm also Cookied the hell out :lot-o-toke:
Not sure if it's just me, but I built a tolerance to it pretty fast, while the Chems seem to hit me much more consistently.
Be nice to see you throw some classic cuts with new twists. :Namaste:

Cookie strains have much to like....heavyweight punching power, great terps., & colorful flowers......BUT NOT really motivating or uplifting (at least not the from the Cookie side). Had to dive in & see for myself. Still have a few more to look at but the recent "Cookie Tour" has ended. The AC is very popular w/ the Cookie crowd & was worthy of a grow.

Also out there that the Animal Cookie male was too dominant, but likely your explanation is real reason. I knew what I was getting into, but still wanted to check out the AC.

Strains are addicting for quite a few of us toast. Like my sub hobby to my growing hobby. Yield, while a nice plus, isn't a factor at all in what I grow. It's all about the genetics, lineage, & breeder. Sometimes a freebie will make it into one of my grows, but not often. IHG had some spectacular freebies though. Too busy growing the seed packs I choose to buy. Can't even get to those fast enough. Some of us end up in seed rehab. Be careful brother. :laughtwo:

:thanks: :circle-of-love: :passitleft:

Yea ive heard about seed rehab and i get a little nervous.. thankfully my wallet wouldnt support the habit lol. its ok that you mislead me though cause i just asked instead of looking up info about it myself. Thats one of our biggest mistakes. Knowledge from others while helpful can be misleading unintentionally. I know of the headaches you are speaking of and the chest tightness.. i have those quite often. I get bad migraines so im sure it doesnt help at all. I went fully organic with my garden this year adding stuff i didnt before so i think that will be my first 'organic grow'. Ill see what happens with it and maybe my third cannabis grow will be all organic. I honestly have no problem throwing that shit away if its gonna make my problems worse. I dont care about money like some people do, it doesnt mean much to me and i dont make a lot trust me lol

Back
Top Bottom