Brown leaves

Slee

420 Member
So top leaves are turning brown. Now some down the plant. Going to flush in case of to much nutes. Any ideas? Soil was 6.3 when I checked.
PXL_20210711_162013655.MP.jpg
PXL_20210707_225415383.MP.jpg

So top leaves are turning brown. Now some down the plant. Going to flush in case of to much nutes. Any ideas? Soil was 6.3 when I checked.
PXL_20210711_162013655.MP.jpg
PXL_20210707_225415383.MP.jpg
Hello @Slee Hope you are well.
It looks like the start of a potassium deficiency.
Some info on your grow would help us nail it down.
Whats in your pots? Nutrients? Ph going in? Temps ,rh?
How old is she how long in that pot?
Bill

@Bill284 sorry took so long to answer, I just got my ph pen in, and can now answer accurately. Soil is compost/peat. Strain is CBD Crack AF. It's 6 weeks old. It's starting to yellow all over. I think it's mainly high PH. Water going in today was 6.6, run off was 7.3. still seems to be growing, I guess I'll just keep giving it low pH water/nutes. I can't find a great way to drop soul pH at this point. Here is a pic. Any suggestions?

PXL_20210714_225010811.MP.jpg

@Bill284 sorry took so long to answer, I just got my ph pen in, and can now answer accurately. Soil is compost/peat. Strain is CBD Crack AF. It's 6 weeks old. It's starting to yellow all over. I think it's mainly high PH. Water going in today was 6.6, run off was 7.3. still seems to be growing, I guess I'll just keep giving it low pH water/nutes. I can't find a great way to drop soul pH at this point. Here is a pic. Any suggestions?

PXL_20210714_225010811.MP.jpg
Good morning @Slee How are you doing today?
Still need a couple things.
What are you feeding her?
Nutrient brand - strength - are you following the schedule?
You say its compost / pete in the pot.
Is it you mix or from a bag?
If bag can you give me a pic of bag and ingredients?
Or at least a make or brand.
She isn't eating.
We should get this fixed sooner than later.
The other one beside it what shape is it in? Same medium in pot? Nutrients?
Bill

Hi @Bill284, doing well. I'll see if I can answer everything. I have not really been following a schedule on nutes. I give probably about once a week. Always afraid I'll give to much. Feeding MG 15-30-15. (I know nobody likes MG, bit don't have access to much else). For the soil I made my own mix. 3 parts compost, 3 parts peat, 2 parts perlite, 1 part vermiculite. (Pics attached) The other plant is in pretty good shape. Much better color. A few spots, but not horrible. Run off was 6.3 on it. I have given it same nutes as problem plant. Soil is not the same. It's a mix of premixed mg soil and random top soil. It was used last year to grow. Thought by mixing my own on the other plant would be a good idea. Maybe not.

PXL_20210717_114021139.MP.jpg

PXL_20210717_114005110.MP.jpg

PXL_20210717_113947900.MP.jpg

PXL_20210717_113840040.MP.jpg

Hi @Bill284, doing well. I'll see if I can answer everything. I have not really been following a schedule on nutes. I give probably about once a week. Always afraid I'll give to much. Feeding MG 15-30-15. (I know nobody likes MG, bit don't have access to much else). For the soil I made my own mix. 3 parts compost, 3 parts peat, 2 parts perlite, 1 part vermiculite. (Pics attached) The other plant is in pretty good shape. Much better color. A few spots, but not horrible. Run off was 6.3 on it. I have given it same nutes as problem plant. Soil is not the same. It's a mix of premixed mg soil and random top soil. It was used last year to grow. Thought by mixing my own on the other plant would be a good idea. Maybe not.

I'd be curious to know the starting runoff pH of both that MG peat moss and the cow poop by themselves. Can you get us photos of the NPK ratio and ingredients list?

I think you're kind of double feeding with the fertilizer-enriched soil AND the liquid nutes but your issue doesn't look like overfeeding so I'm stumped. You said the problem started at the top of the plant and moved down?

Also did you calibrate your pH pen and do you store it in a KCl storage solution?

@copperrein , npk of peat is 0.19 - 0.11 - 0.15, compost is .5-.5-.5. as far as ingredients I'm on the road, but I assume it is just pure peat moss, and pure manure compost. I did calibrate my pen yesterday when I got it. I do not store in solution. Not familiar with that. The plant actually started on the middle fan leaves with brown spots. Then a few days later I noticed the top leaves had brown strips. Then a few more days and it just started losing it's color. I feel like it's not eating because of the high PH. My soil mix really shouldn't be that high by mixing 50/50 compost/peat but idk I didn't check it. Only had soil pH tester at the time, and I don't think it's accurate.

@copperrein , npk of peat is 0.19 - 0.11 - 0.15, compost is .5-.5-.5. as far as ingredients I'm on the road, but I assume it is just pure peat moss, and pure manure compost. I did calibrate my pen yesterday when I got it. I do not store in solution. Not familiar with that. The plant actually started on the middle fan leaves with brown spots. Then a few days later I noticed the top leaves had brown strips. Then a few more days and it just started losing it's color. I feel like it's not eating because of the high PH. My soil mix really shouldn't be that high by mixing 50/50 compost/peat but idk I didn't check it. Only had soil pH tester at the time, and I don't think it's accurate.
Now I'm really curious to know what the pH of both the compost and the peat are. Something's fucky.

I'd treat it like soil.
6.3 ph.
Feed let dry then water let dry then feed let dry then water let dry.
I might add a little cal mag aswell to my feed.
Next run i would try a more pot specific soil if available.
I find when you make your own mix with out any experience using it you don't know how it will work.
But I understand your thought process there.
So 6.3 ph and feed her every other watering.
See if she starts eating again.
Bill

hello i see you have plenty of good helpers:thumb: good job guys :goodjob:

My thoughts

Has any lime been added to your mix , this helps to buffer the peat, this might be why the other plant is better , prob some lime added to the MG potting soil mix a
The bag states enriched with MG feed , is there little balls that slowly release nutrients over time
The pot is also looking a little bit small compared to the plant so do you water to run off, it looks smaller than the healthy plant . ( all signs to watch out for )
how do you lower the ph as the NPK (p) is pretty high 15/30/15 if you added ph down your adding more (p) depending on what you use , phosphoric acid can be taken up by plants , so the (P) could be in excess
the gold stripes on pic one looks like large ph swings
Quick Summary: Managing pH is crucial for cannabis plants to be able to take up nutrients through their roots. When the pH around the roots jumps up and down, it can stress the plant and cause brown spots to appear on the leaves.

its very early so i am not long awake lol , i could be wrong , ( just my thought on the matter ) :)

:goodluck:

Soil was 6.3 when I checked.
Water going in today was 6.6, run off was 7.3. still seems to be growing, I guess I'll just keep giving it low pH water/nutes.
It is extremely hard to check pH of the soil unless someone is willing to jump through the necessary hoops if doing it at home. Or, avoid that and send the soil sample off to have it tested by someone at a lab.

Measuring the pH of the water that runs through the pot does tell us the pH of that liquid at that time but still does not tell the pH of the soil. What is really important is to know that the pH of the water that is being used for routine watering sessions is 6.3 (6.3 for those growing in soil). Use the pen so you can be reassured that the pH of the water is still 6.3 after any fertilizers or nutrients have been added.

Just my opinion but don't worry if the pH of the water in the watering container fluctuates between 6.2 or 6.4 every now and then. Any decent soil mix will still be able to handle the occasional high or low pH. Consistently watering when the water has a low pH (5.9 as an example or high pH (6.9 as an example) can create problems. The pH numbers for those who are trying to grow in a hydroponic set-up or in a soil mix designed for hydro styles will be different.

If you get a chance do some reading up on the soil growing methods for many of the experienced marijuana gardeners on this message board and you might notice that many of them have stopped worrying about the actual pH of their soil mix but do know and keep track of their water pH.

lotsa good help going on in here.

a few thoughts ... cow manure is hot. usually too hot for cannabis, a lot depends on how or if it was properly composted. it is fantastic if it's been properly aged and composted, but most commercial stuff is processed and pushed out the door to make money too fast.

sheep and bunny manure is generally better for cannabis. ages ago we ran bunny manure for the whole grow. @NuttyProfessor is on board i see, he would have more relevant info on this than i do now.

MG - we've called it miracle kill for years. once upon a millenia ago all sorts were trying to use it when hydro shops were scarce and phones were solidly attached to walls. things weren't pretty then.

try and source cannabis nutes if you can. you're running a 1:winkyface:1 npk ratio, cannabis and most flowering plants are better off at 2:blushsmile:3. cannabis nutes are easy to get everywhere now. there's no excuse to use the MG, it can tide you over until you get sorted, but it will never really be in balance for the plant, meaning you'll always be tackling an excess or deficiency.

keep at it. you are learning a pile and your grows will get better moving forward because of it.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm used to growing outside, and the plants did pretty good on there own, never fertilized a whole lot. Never tried to get the biggest plant around just wanted a little smoke. This indoor thing is a little different, and apparently from what I have read Autos don't likes lot of fertilizer. I'm definitely changing soil ony next run. For this one I will continue with low pH water/nutes and see if it gets better. Only have about 5 weeks left, so we will see if I can salvage something out of it.

Back
Top Bottom