Bud Washing

Hello Folks
I've skimmed through the posts quickly (124 pages it's too much to handle at once ) but I didn't see much about changes in potency. Is there any change? We are also talking about very diluted amounts. Do we have LAB tests that prove that this method really kills molds, etc? If for example we grey mold/botrytis on a nug and we clean the dirty part and then we decarb it at 107C/224F for 1 hour and then use alcool 95% to extract it and do tincture, wouldn't be an antiseptic anyway? The washing washes it away, in theory, but the thricomes are very sticky and it's likely you'll keep dead mold spores on it, supposing that a 3% concentration is indeed enough to clean it properly. Anyone has any ideas about all of this? Especially having a certified Lab test showing that wishing I deed works against molds etc

First off, I did not come up with the idea of washing buds as part of harvest. I'm not sure where the idea originated, but I learned of it via Curso and 420. :Namaste:

I've read with interest as several members have tried this technique. The idea already appealed to me on a logical level, but it was the endorsements of other members that really sold me. Granted, my sample size is only ~6 growers, but the responses I've read have been pretty unanimous. Every comment I've read has been something along the lines of, 'now I'm spoiled and don't want to smoke unwashed buds anymore'. That kind of rhetoric caught my attention! :yikes:

I can't yet say if I will have that same reaction, as my first attempt is still hanging to dry. I'm creating this thread as a place to discuss the techniques and/or principles involved with this practice. The what, why, and how if you will.

First, What are we talking about?

It's pretty simple. We're washing the plant during the harvest and curing phase. I honestly can't think of anything else to say about 'The What' without getting into the why and how, so let's get to it.

Why wash your buds?

Just like you wash your vegetables before eating them, it's probably a good idea to wash Cannabis before consuming it as well. How big an impact it makes will depend on the environment the buds were grown in. Was it outdoors or indoors? Was the indoor garden sealed or ventilated? Was any sprayed on the plant, ie food or pest control?

My flowering room is sealed, and I don't spray anything my plants. I certainly understand why it's important to some of the growers here that spray their plants weekly. My wash water actually didn't get too dirty. Yes, it certainly appeared to have cleaned something off. Even in my sealed room there will be dust and dirt on the plants.

How do you do it?

My technique was based off instructions from Curso.

I use 3 5g buckets. The first bucket has room temp, ie not cold, water with the lemon juice and baking soda. The second bucket has the hottest water I can get from the faucet. The last bucket is the coldest water I can get.

I do a pre-trim on each branch to remove any leaves without crystals. Then I dunk each branch several times and swirl them around a bit. When I dunked the branches, I did it fast enough to get the water sloshing around real good. I imagined I'm trying to get the water to get into all the nooks and crannies with some force to help clean out the dirt. I do each bucket for 10-30 seconds including a few second to let them water drain off before moving them to the next bucket.

After the last rinse, I hang them on a string above the bucket so it can drip back into the bucket. As I wash more buds, I slide the others to the side to make room so the freshest is always dripping over the bucket.

I let them dry about 24 hours before trimming. If I tried to manicure sooner than that, they felt too wet.

***********************************************************************************

So that's all I have to get things rolling. I really hope others will join in the discussion and share their experiences.

I have a question for anyone that knows. What is the reasoning behind the lemon juice and baking soda?
Well I will be farked.
That certainly make scence bro
That is a god sent really
Cheers for that bro I think I'm in..
Could you tell the amounts of each product to put in first bucket

Budwashing is awesome. I have been using the SNS 311 instead of the lemon juice/sodium bicarbonate method above and the results are simply amazing. Incredibly smooth smoke, and the hits "feel cleaner" for lack of a better way to describe it. The buds also seem to keep their vibrancy more through curing and help with bag appeal as well. I will always from now on wash my buds... Thanks 420 for showing us this method and all those who have added their own twists and such.. I made a short video how I did mine. I didn't have enough rubbermaid containers/buckets to use so there was about 2 minutes between the hot wash and the cold wash, but overall still took a lot of junk off the buds and they look beautiful afterwords, and plump. :)
Hey bro what nsn 311??
Hahaha typical Ossie haha

All I do is type in:

SNS 311

in a search engine program (google or duck,duck,go or whatever you want to use). It will come up as some sort of plant wash product. Then pick a couple of links to read in more detail what it is and does.
Ta-da

Screenshot_2022-01-01-08-15-27-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Hey bro what nsn 311??
Hahaha typical Ossie haha
Haha! Looks like the answer was found.... I wrote this post many years ago, and I would recommend at this time, sticking with the formula with the baking soda, water and lemon juice over the SNS 311.......

Haha! Looks like the answer was found.... I wrote this post many years ago, and I would recommend at this time, sticking with the formula with the baking soda, water and lemon juice over the SNS 311.......
Hey @Icemud
Thanks for replying bro much appreciated,
And yes I followed it to the letter and now waiting for the snow to settle....
Cheers bro

Hey @Icemud
Thanks for replying bro much appreciated,
And yes I followed it to the letter and now waiting for the snow to settle....
Cheers bro
You are welcome :) I've done this method too, and it definitely makes fore a very enjoyable experience :) cheers and HNY 2022!

Hello Folks
I've skimmed through the posts quickly (124 pages it's too much to handle at once ) but I didn't see much about changes in potency. Is there any change? We are also talking about very diluted amounts. Do we have LAB tests that prove that this method really kills molds, etc? If for example we grey mold/botrytis on a nug and we clean the dirty part and then we decarb it at 107C/224F for 1 hour and then use alcool 95% to extract it and do tincture, wouldn't be an antiseptic anyway? The washing washes it away, in theory, but the thricomes are very sticky and it's likely you'll keep dead mold spores on it, supposing that a 3% concentration is indeed enough to clean it properly. Anyone has any ideas about all of this? Especially having a certified Lab test showing that wishing I deed works against molds etc
I wouldn't smoke any buds with molds on it.... the bud washing really is for removing dirt, debris, insect parts..... not to de=mold things.

The only method that I know and verified by lab tests to remove (SOME) types of mold is by having it professionally extracted by butane, and then remediated from crude to distillate after filtration and a few other processes. (i used to manage compliance in a lab) and this will absolutely remove any detectable mycotoxins from lab tests.

I would not smoke any buds with mold at all, things like aspergillus can be quite bad on the human body if it gets into your sinuses.

I wash my buds and given I grow outdoors I think it's a must. The amount of spiders and caterpillars I have seen in the buds makes me wonder how anyone couldn't.
I go with the two bucket arrroach, the first containing lemon juice and natural baking powder and the second warm clean water. Did it without this stage one year and the buds were much harsher.

IDK if I'd do both lemon juice and baking soda in the same step, because one is acidic and the other is alkaline. Could be you just end up with a neutral, slightly-flavored water?

BtW, have you tried doing it with just two buckets of plain water? We did that on an outdoor plant that was full of caterpillar... evidence, back in '88 or '89, and it seemed to work. Of course, that was long before I ever read that bud washing was "a thing" - and I wasn't so picky back then ;) .

IDK if I'd do both lemon juice and baking soda in the same step, because one is acidic and the other is alkaline. Could be you just end up with a neutral, slightly-flavored water?
I had thought the same thing several years ago but I have also come across the use of both Baking Soda and a mild natural acid (lemon juice, cider vinegar or similar) used together in other simple 'household' cleaning chores. Even my mother talked about it back when I was a kid.

So I looked up the 'how and why' of doing it that way; using the Baking Soda and a mild acid; lemon juice in the case of "bud washing".

The Baking Soda is finely ground powder, naturally occurring and all that, suitable and often recommended for cleaning teeth and for internal human use, etc. When the Soda and water mix it forms an alkaline solution which will start to break up and remove stains, dirt, loose particles and so on that will be stuck to the surface of whatever is being cleaned. By itself, just using the Soda will probably clean about 5 to 10% of the loosely stuck dirt.

This is where the mild Acid comes in. For starters the acid will help break surface bonds between the trichomes, buds, etc further releasing many dirt and unwanted particles. When added to the Alkaline or Base Solution there is a reaction where the acid and base neutralize each other. This can be seen by the bubbling up in the bucket. To us it might not seem like it is doing much but it is violent enough of a reaction inside the bucket that the remaining particles of baking soda are swirled all around and scrub the surfaces of the trichomes, sugar leaves and the buds in general. The beauty of this is that it does not break or remove the trichomes or anything that belong on the buds. This process removes almost all of the remaining dust, dirt, insect parts and whatever else in and on the buds that we do not want there.

All this dirt ends up suspended in the water and dumping it out gets rid of a lot. The remaining dirt is removed and dumped by the two rinses.

Doing a wash using just the lemon juice or just the baking soda will help loosen up dirt and do a bit of washing but the rewards of using both together are much, much better. There is an order that the Baking Soda and Lemon Juice should be added to the water. Baking Soda first so it can form the alkaline solution to start loosening dirt.

The only method that I know and verified by lab tests to remove (SOME) types of mold is by having it professionally extracted by butane, and then remediated from crude to distillate after filtration and a few other processes. (i used to manage compliance in a lab) and this will absolutely remove any detectable mycotoxins from lab tests.
Hydrogen Peroxide will kill Mold and Mildew Spores. It also kills bacteria, viruses and germs. The stuff is recommended as an antiseptic for cleaning of minor cuts and other small open wounds on open surfaces and in the mouth. It can be used as a disinfectant for cleaning surfaces including those in kitchens and bathrooms.

Admittedly it is a slow process for cleaning buds and it can take up to 5 minutes or so in the 1st stage of the wash. The buds should be left in the first bucket of H2O2 & water for the 5 minutes or more.

Admittedly, it should not be used as a substitute for inspecting plants and removing a 'cola' with signs of possible bud rot or as a substitute for treating Powdery Mildew or as a substitute for removing mildew covered plant material if that problem is found.

Hydrogen Peroxide will kill Mold and Mildew Spores. It also kills bacteria, viruses and germs. The stuff is recommended as an antiseptic for cleaning of minor cuts and other small open wounds on open surfaces and in the mouth. It can be used as a disinfectant for cleaning surfaces including those in kitchens and bathrooms.

Admittedly it is a slow process for cleaning buds and it can take up to 5 minutes or so in the 1st stage of the wash. The buds should be left in the first bucket of H2O2 & water for the 5 minutes or more.

Admittedly, it should not be used as a substitute for inspecting plants and removing a 'cola' with signs of possible bud rot or as a substitute for treating Powdery Mildew or as a substitute for removing mildew covered plant material if that problem is found.

BtW, have you tried doing it with just two buckets of plain water? We did that on an outdoor plant that was full of caterpillar... evidence, back in '88 or '89, and it seemed to work. Of course, that was long before I ever read that bud washing was "a thing" - and I wasn't so picky back then ;) .
Not considered the neutralizing impact of the two. Might not be so lazy and use 3 buckets next time!

With regards to Hydrogen peroxide I know it's great for cleaning, I wondered if there was any issues with regards to the smoking? This is why i have often gone for more organic cleaning products.

Hydrogen peroxide - H₂O₂ - in water, quickly decomposes into water and oxygen.

Not considered the neutralizing impact of the two. Might not be so lazy and use 3 buckets next time!

With regards to Hydrogen peroxide I know it's great for cleaning, I wondered if there was any issues with regards to the smoking? This is why i have often gone for more organic cleaning products.
The beauty of the system is that the neutralizing of the two is an important part of the cleaning process. Without the interaction between the Baking Soda and the Lemon Juice the majority of the cleaning stage would not take place.

As for the H2O2 it does occur in nature, usually in the upper atmosphere and is found in snow and rain though not in the amounts that we use.

It will break down into Hydrogen and Oxygen and looking it up it seems that the process can take several days in a closed bottle after the seal is broken. When used as part of the washing most, if not all, of it breaks down in the couple of hours it takes to start evaporating the excess water off the buds.

Hi everyone!
This thread is so big and dense, Ive tried reading through some but have wound up confused a few times now.

Where did a consensus land on the particulars of this technique?

3 buckets, 1st with baking soda, 2nd with lemon juice, 3rd just cold water?
or 2 buckets? with combined Baking soda and lemon.
What are the ratios? Real lemon juice or bottled?
How long submerged? any swishing action?
Before or after drying?

Itd be nice to have a general set of guidelines we could pin for this thicker than split pea soup thread on a very valuablen technique :D

If you grow outdoors this has to be a must. Therefore I must have your thoughts! ;)

Im about to harvest, sooooo any quick helps on the above questions?

Hope all of your grows are going amazing!!! :green_heart: :cheer: :green_heart:

I did a quick search for Doc Bud's posts regarding "cups".

Things varied a bit. I didn't read through them, but check it out - the info is probably in there somewhere.

Search results for query: cups

:Namaste:

3 buckets, 1st with baking soda, 2nd with lemon juice, 3rd just cold water?
or 2 buckets? with combined Baking soda and lemon.
What are the ratios? Real lemon juice or bottled?
How long submerged? any swishing action?
Before or after drying?
The Lemon Juice and the Baking Soda should be used together. They will react with each other and cause a gentle fizzing or foaming action which helps to loosen the very small particles of loose leaves, dirt and crud so they can be dumped out with the water. One by itself will not do much.

Real lemon juice is what I remember from the original thread years ago. I use bottled lemon juice but read the label to be sure that it contains lemon juice. Some of the discount brands do not; they use another form of organic acidic liquid and add some lemon ester so it smells like the real thing.

I seem to remember from the original thread that about 5 minutes of soaking and swishing around is enough. So I swish for a bit and wander off for a minute or so and come back and swish and wander around and.... Can't remember what the recommended temperature of the water was but I keep thinking it was somewhere between room temp and body temp. I have noticed that really warm temps will cause changes in the colors and the buds can start to look dark green and sometimes black, especially if there is any purple coloring.

As to 'before or after drying', not sure. I have done two washing sessions using a "trimmed and still fresh" harvest and a "trimmed and dried for a couple days" harvest. The second washing experiment is in the fridge right now and is close to ready to go into jars for the cure. ........

I pulled them out and will get back to you in a few minutes after they come up to room temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom