Buddy McNug's First Grow - Indoor Soil - CFL & LED - AK99 - BB & Random Bag Seed 2014

Re: Buddy McNug's First Grow - Indoor Soil w/ CFL & LED - AK99, BB, & Random Bagseed

Wow, I hope it isn't something bad. They seem like they are looking better now. I am going to give it some time without watering and hopefully they will perk back up.

Re: Buddy McNug's First Grow - Indoor Soil w/ CFL & LED - AK99, BB, & Random Bagseed

no worries, they will perk back up, with water.... less is more. also if it is a deformity it can out grow it. I had one do the same thing, now it is 6 weeks into flower and looks great. but i think most of your problem is over water. you need to let the roots dry out. heft the cup for weight when watered and heft again to check the dry weight. only water when its dry... it is easier to fix an under water than an over water situation.

Hi, thanks for the advice. Well the seeds are really old, like 5-10 years old so maybe that has something to do with it. They are looking better now, so I think it must have been overwatering like so many have told me. I will be more careful and water less in the future. The dry/wet weight test is a good tip and one many have suggested, I need to get another cup and do that and keep it in there to compare by. So far so good, hoping they continue to perk up over the next couple days.

Thanks to everyone's advice I have not watered my plants anymore and they seem to be perking up a bit. Here are a couple pictures of the ladies(hopefully) from this morning:

First from the top:
12670.jpg

And from the side:
21781.jpg

Temps are staying in the 77 - 81 range(81 in one spot directly under the middle lights but a few inches to the sides it is high 70s. I am planning to hopefully cut my intake today. Probably going to try some kind of light baffle design. I don't have a lot of experience in DIY projects, but am learning as I go along thanks to all the great info and help here on the forums. I will post an update of the intake once I have figured out what I am going to do.

The plan is to cut something like a 10" by 2" rectangular passive intake hole along the bottom back of the cabinet then one or two holes near the top for exhaust. May start with one pc fan size hole(around 4" x 4") and see how that does and if I need to cut another I will. I will be doing some more research because I think my exhaust hole is supposed to be the same or a little bigger than my intake. Can anyone tell me if I should put the pc fans right up against the wall blowing out for exhaust or would it be better to set them up a couple inches from the wall and use a short run of duct to the exhaust hole? Does it matter?

Ok, I am trying to figure out the best way to vent this cabinet. I am going to be using a 120mm PC fan for an exhaust and was planning to use a passive intake. I am using another of the 120mm PC fans to circulate the air around the plants(shown in pictures earlier in the journal). Both fans are going to be hooked to a fan speed controller.

From what I have read, the intake needs to be bigger than the exhaust. I was thinking of drilling holes along the bottom of the back of the cabinet for the passive intake and use a baffle to keep light from getting through. I am going to drill enough holes to be at least double the amount of open space the exhaust fan will need. The exhaust fan would then be attached with ducting to an exhaust area at the top of back of cabinet that is a bunch of drilled holes in a square shape a little bigger than the fan. So, does this sound like a good plan? Right now I am running the lights with the doors open and it gets about high 70s low 80s at top of plants. This cabinet is only going to be used for veg and I will be moving the plants to another taller cabinet for flower. I don't assume I will have much problem with smell but if I do I will put together some kind of odor neutralizer at the exhaust, but for now I am just worried about venting for heat control. I am going to use some vent filters to keep out bugs at the intake.

I would love to hear from anyone to either confirm this is the best way or with any suggestions of an easy alternative that would be better for my cabinet. I am not super handy at DIY projects so I am trying to find the easiest effective method possible.

Hey buddy, subbed,
Awesome cabinet, I'm thoroughly impressed! The cfl reflector hood with the power strips is genius. I haven't seen that before. Congrats on legalizing and starting to grow your own.

Your seedlings do look like their struggling, and I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but, could your water be shitty, and that causing problems for your seedlings?

Hey, Thanks! I am completely new to all this and am learning pretty much everything from the forums and all the helpful people here. The seedlings have started to look a little better since the pictures, actually two of them are looking great right now and aren't droopy anymore. Though you are right, the other two aren't looking to so good, especially the one wrinkly one.

I am actually using tap water. I know a lot of people let their tap water sit out for a while or may do ph testing but I have not started that yet. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and then if I ran into problems from ph I would start correcting at that time. Is that a bad plan? I could go out and get a ph testing meter if you think that would help.

Are you on city water, well? More than the PH of the water I would worry about TDS, drinking water can contain a lot of crap in it. It really is ideal to collect rainwater, IMO. Something to think about.

Bubbling the tap water ahead of using it or letting it sit out for a while is best to do, what that does is "gas off" chlorine. And to some extent chloramines (takes much longer). These two common city water disinfectants are damaging to soil health. (That means they are harmful to the populations of beneficial soil micro organisms). It helps to look up information on your city water (if that's what ya have) using an internet search engine.

Or just harvest rainwater and it's all good! Easy to set something up in your yard with a tarp and bucket, or off your roof, etc etc.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I am on city water. I will start letting the water sit out in a watering jug for a while before I use it on the plants. The plants are looking a lot better this morning, so I am hoping backing off on the watering has helped so far. Hopefully letting the water sit will help too. Thanks!

It still looks like they are perking up. One of them still looks wrinkly. Should I just go ahead and get rid of that one? I don't mind thinning a couple out because I have good seeds that have popped above soil and are ready to come in the cabinet. I am only going to be growing 5-6 during veg and then hope to take 2-3 into flower. These 4 are from random bag seeds from lower quality stuff so I started out with these to test the waters and figure out some do's and don'ts before using my Joey Weed AK99 and Blueberry seeds. Well, the AK99 and BB are ready to come into the cabinet so I need to make some room soon because I don't want to grow more than 5-6 plants at a time. So here are the pictures below from the 4 bagseed plants that I was having problems with:

First from the top:

12673.jpg

Now from the side:

21783.jpg

As you can see, the wrinkly one(bottom left in the picture) I was talking about still doesn't look so great. I could actually stand to get rid of two if I needed to. Should I get rid of the two on the left or just the wrinkly one? Also, I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but there are some very small light yellow spots on the leaves of a couple of the plants closest to the lights. The tallest plants are now about 2" from the CFLs. Think I should lower them another inch so they are at least 3" from the lights?

Ok, I think I have figured out my ventilation. The plan is to drill a line of 1/2" holes across the very bottom of the back of cabinet and that will feed into a thin flat blacked out box with a hole cut in the top with a vent filter or two covering the hole. Then the exhaust will be in the center of the top and will be a 6" x 6" square of 1/2" drilled holes that will have a PC fan hooked to it via about one foot of duct that will be painted black inside and bent in an elbow to trap light. I know PC fans don't do great with duct, but a short bend of duct shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it? If so, I could do maybe a shoebox in the top of the box with the fan attached to one side blowing into the blacked out shoebox that is attached to the back/holes. I am drilling holes instead of cutting out big holes because I think it will be less obvious than having a couple vent covers attached to the back.

I would love to hear others' opinions of my plan or suggestions/alterations.

Thanks for stopping by.

CO - I am definitely learning as I go. If it wasn't for all the help here on the forums it would be a lot harder.

Polo - Awesome, that's great to hear, was worried for a while there. They have been perking up more each day.

Ok here is this morning's update. I watered them this morning. I did the weight check and also finger check and it was about bone dry so I watered until I had water coming out of the bottom of the cups, let them drain for a few minutes, shook them a little to drain more, and then put them back in the cabinet. Here are a couple pictures from this morning:

First from the top of the plants:

12674.jpg

Now from the front looking into the cabinet:

21784.jpg

I am still seriously considering getting rid of that really wrinkly one and possibly the tall stretchy one to make room for a couple new plants I just germinated and have popped above soil. I will also be working on my ventilation today and will take pics of that later. Some of the leaves on a couple of these plants look oddly shaped, can anyone else notice that on the leaves? Anything I should worry about or is that something that they will probably grow out of later?

They are starting to look better for sure. As for tossing any, I would start new ones and add them to the group, if they surpass the others and you dont have room, then toss the ones that are behind. I started 5, and my twisted one ended up being 1 of the 2 females and now it is hanging in 8oz of buds (or better, i am hoping).

I still don't know much about yield but that sounds like a lot from one plant, congrats! I may hold on to the wrinkly one but I don't want to go above 6 plants(plus when it is time to transplant into 3 gallon pots I think only 6 would fit in the space). I will likely need the room but will have to see. Either way I won't be going above 6 plants, so one or two will have to go in the next few days.

Are the seeds regular? If so you could toss a female :sadface:. I would hold off on throwing out the runt. The homie gave me an old bag seed to grow for him, and I'm pretty sure it's dead. I'm just not willing to toss it yet.

These are from bag seeds from lower quality stuff and the ones that will be replacing them are AK99 and Blueberry. I will think about it a little longer but in the next day or two will have to cut out one or two of the weakest ones to make room. I won't be growing more than 6 plants so I'd rather more of them be the better strains. I won't have enough room to wait until I sex them so I will just have to take a gamble and keep the best ones.

Back
Top Bottom