Buddy McNug's First Grow - Indoor Soil - CFL & LED - AK99 - BB & Random Bag Seed 2014

Re: Buddy McNug's First Grow - Indoor Soil w/ CFL & LED - AK99, BB, & random bagseed

Hey man.. thanks for the advice. The shelf is actually adjustable so I can raise the top shelf about 4" when it is needed and if necessary I can cut out the bottom shelf(which would give me enough room to veg the plants to 18 - 20" which is what I was planning). The main reason the shelf is in there is to hang the hood and lights from. Since the cabinet is plastic I didn't want to start screwing into it and this shelf is coming in pretty handy. I am only using this cabinet for veg and will be moving over to a different taller cabinet with LED for flowering.

Good idea on the zip tying the sockets to the strip. I was going to do that but the plugs were so snug I didn't think I would need to but better safe than sorry.

I was hoping that I would have enough room in here to veg all 4 so I could flower at least 2 of them in case of males, etc. You don't think I can veg 4 plants in this space?

Re: Buddy McNug's First Grow - Indoor Soil w/ CFL & LED - AK99, BB, & random bagseed

ahh well if this is just for Veg, you're fine with the current setup. I was under the impression this was for seed to flower. Sorry about that!

For Veg, everything is good the way it is. Just get some ventilation in there to control the temps, and your girls will be happy.

And I've seen a few people have something fall onto their plants, so even if it seems snug, just take an extra precaution to keep things safe. The last thing you want is to open the doors on the day you want to switch them to flower, and find half the plant crushed.

But no problems Vegging man, keep on rocking!

Yea that is my fault, I should have put that I was using two different cabinets in the first post, but it won't let me go back and edit it to add it in. It would be convenient if I could do both veg and flower in this cabinet, but I don't think it can get the yield I need. I am hoping for at least a couple ounces every two months.

I will zip tie those sockets in, like you say it is better to be on the safe side. I am definitely working on ventilation next, even with the doors open the temps are at 80 right now. I am going to have to do some research on how to cut passive intakes and active exhaust holes for my pc fans and make everything light proof. Oh, or maybe I could uncover the holes when I have the lights on and cover them back up when the lights are off.

The leaves on my seedlings have been droopy since yesterday. The night before last I added a little more water to each cup, so I am thinking this may be from over watering? I let it drain out the bottom so I thought I was ok until seeing this.

12664.jpg

If it is over watering, is there anything I need to do or do I just be more careful about my watering from now on?

I decided to go ahead and hook up one of he fans now to get some air flow i there and hopefully cool it down a few degrees while I work on my intake/exhaust. I took one of my pc fan, mounted it between two slats of thin wood and attached it to the back of my box. There is only an inch or so clearance behind the fan but I have it connected to the controller and is on its lowest setting. I think this should work well while I get everything else set up. Here are some pictures:

First the fan mounted to the two slats of wood:

12665.jpg

Now the fan mounted inside the cabinet:

21777.jpg

And last the fan mounted inside with the plants in. I have the plants stacked closer to the bulbs I just did it this way to get a good picture:

31576.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

I think your fan should fix your droopy girls. Check the humidity. If it is below 40 you can just mist in there. Seedlings especially like high humidity.

Hey, thanks for stopping in and for the advice.

When I was getting my thermometer, I almost got the one with humidity. It was only a few dollars more. I think I will go back and get it. I just didn't think I would have any trouble with it. So, do you think the leaves could be droopy like that because of too much heat, not overwatering? I just checked the temps again and it was low 80s. I need to get my intake and exhaust set up so I can get that down to mid 70s. I was concerned it may be heat and not over watering that did it. Should I take them out of the cabinet until I get the intake and exhaust cut and set up?

I would keep the doors ajar and try to get some airflow. You could just run 4 of those CFL's for now, that's lots for those little plants.

That's a good idea on cutting down on the CFLs until I get the intake and exhaust set up. I have been doing some reading and it looks like the plants look real similar when overwatered as they do when underwatered. Maybe my plants need more water. I think I will water one of them tonight and see if it perks up by tomorrow and if so I will water the other ones. I will keep the door open too now when the lights are on. When do you think I should switch back to all CFLs? When do seedlings need their full Veg lighting?

I would try misting, be careful about overwatering. It looks like heat stress to me. Lighting is all about coverage. You can run for another week with just 4 cfls. Air circulation and proper temps/humidity will do more for you right now than light.

I was actually in the other room watering them a little when you posted this. I think maybe I have not been watering them enough because when I do water, I put maybe 1/5 to 1/4 of a cup of warm water in and wait until I see some drips coming out the bottom, not a lot out the bottom just a little. I checked the soil farther down with my finger and it felt brittle and dry so I added more water to each and let them drain really well. I hope I didn't overdo it but I think that maybe my watering is a little light.. maybe I need to do closer to 1/3 a cup each time I water. Hopefully through trial and error I will get this down, or I will find some kind of meter I can stick in the pot to tell me if it needs water, lol.

Also, I did cut down on my CFLs for now, thanks for that tip. Will save me a little money too which is always good.

Re: Buddy McNug's First Grow - Indoor Soil w/ CFL & LED - AK99, BB, & Random Bagseed

Ok, I am starting to get worried now. Here are how they are looking this morning:

12667.jpg

21778.jpg

Last night I watered them again and the two on the left I watered a little more than the other two to see if I wasn't putting enough water in. Any thoughts? Still trying to figure out if this is from overwatering, underwatering, too much heat(was in low 80s in there), or humidity issues. I got a thermometer that also reads humidity and have that in there. It has only been in there a few minutes and is reading 37%, but started at 40% a few minutes ago when I put it in(default setting when I turned it on) and it may continue to drop.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Re: Buddy McNug's First Grow - Indoor Soil w/ CFL & LED - AK99, BB, & Random Bagseed

They actually look like they have recovered some.

Big thing is: have you got ventilation through that cabinet yet? Fresh air and a little breeze. Keep the temp around 75 if possible and it does sound like your humidity is low so mist them (misting will also bring the temp down).

Well I added more water last night, so maybe that helped. I don't have my ventilation set up yet, am going to do that this weekend. For now I still have the doors open when the lights are on and have that pc fan in there blowing some air on them. Looks like the temps have gone down. At one part of cabinet it says high 70s, another part low 80s. I have a little pie tin with some water in it sitting at bottom of cabinet under the shelf holding plants. I also have a wet hand towel in there. I hope that helps with the humidity but will also mist them. How often would you mist plants this young?

Look at journal for a few ideas on insulating I struggled with it in the beginning but I've got my grow going now. Don't give to much water when you water them they look droopy like overwatered plants. Good vibes!

Well, the plants are still looking a little droopy. Is it just me or do a couple of them look kinda crinkly too? I know everyone is saying I may have overwatered but they still look sad and its been a couple days since I last watered them. It is hard not to water them, they look like they need it, lol. Here are a few pictures from this morning:

First all four from the top:

12668.jpg

Next, close ups of them two at a time:

21779.jpg

31577.jpg

Now all four from the side:

41216.jpg

Temps are reading mid 70s in one part of cabinet and 80 at another part of cabinet. I keep trying to get humidity up but it is staying around 40%. I think once I get the intake/exhaust set up and can close the doors the humidity will be better in there.

So, we are still thinking it is overwatering and I should just continue to leave them be? Just hate sitting by and doing nothing to help them, but if that's the best thing to do I will. Any other tips or advice or should I just continue to wait and see?

It got down to like 63 in the house last night but when I woke up and checked the temps in the cabinet it was high 60s low 70s. Right now it is averaging out around mid to high 70s in the cabinet. The door is still open. I also did make a couple mistakes with the light cycle the last couple days. Had to go somewhere and didn't want to leave it on with doors open while I was gone so it went without light like 3 or so hours yesterday morning and then another 4.5 hours last night. Other than that it has been 24 hours a day. Will be changing to a 18/6 schedule probably starting Monday.

Back
Top Bottom