Can anyone explain this?

The white specks are reminiscent of spider mite damage. Check closely under the leaves for tiny moving specks, white chaff, and eggs.
Rust marks are usually calcium deficiency. Since you only have a few- it's hard to say for sure. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. You bigger issue is the clay soil and always will be.
That (Ca def) can show up as white specks in its earliest stages as well, I believe, but the times I've had white specks from deficiencies, they weren't so small or so numerous- and didn't look so much like spider mite damage.

The white specks are reminiscent of spider mite damage. Check closely under the leaves for tiny moving specks, white chaff, and eggs.
Rust marks are usually calcium deficiency. Since you only have a few- it's hard to say for sure. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. You bigger issue is the clay soil and always will be.
That (Ca def) can show up as white specks in its earliest stages as well, I believe, but the times I've had white specks from deficiencies, they weren't so small or so numerous- and didn't look so much like spider mite damage.

I saw a little spider mite on a leaf, around a week ago. This problem is confined to a few small areas for the time being, should I really do something about it? And is there anything that can be done to increase the yield of auto-flowering strains? Somehow 120 (grains) per plant doesn't seem much to me.

Re the spider mites, if that's what you have- they are CREATURES FROM HELL, and any way that you can possibly avoid them- do it. With those bastards there is no such thing as 'confined to a few leaves'.

As for the auto question, I can't help you there. I'm not a fan of autos. Some auto strains (like Mazar) grow bigger than others. The finished product isn't as good as photo strains, they've got a whole lot of limitations on how you can grow them, and a limited choice of (fairly poor) genetics. Some seed companies like them because growers have to buy more seeds each time they grow. New growers are attracted to them because they don't have to buy a timer and seal their flowering room against light leaks, I guess. If you want big plants get photo strains - you'll have a full range of genetics to choose from, can grow better bud, and whatever size plants you want.

Re the spider mites, if that's what you have- they are CREATURES FROM HELL, and any way that you can possibly avoid them- do it. With those bastards there is no such thing as 'confined to a few leaves'.

As for the auto question, I can't help you there. I'm not a fan of autos. Some auto strains (like Mazar) grow bigger than others.
The finished product isn't as good as photo strains, they've got a whole lot of limitations on how you can grow them, and a limited choice of (fairly poor) genetics.

Seed companies like them because growers have to buy more seeds each time they grow. New growers are attracted to them because they don't have to buy a timer and seal their flowering room against light leaks, I guess. If you want big plants get photo strains - you'll have a full range of genetics to choose from, can grow better bud, and whatever size plants you want.

Weasel is spot on. Autos are absolutely avoided by everyone who really(!) cares about growing the best herb. Bar none. I don't know a single grower who will run autos, they're absolutely a joke in my opinion, and in the opinion of every pro grower I know.

As for the auto question, I can't help you there. I'm not a fan of autos. Some auto strains (like Mazar) grow bigger than others. The finished product isn't as good as photo strains, they've got a whole lot of limitations on how you can grow them, and a limited choice of (fairly poor) genetics. Some seed companies like them because growers have to buy more seeds each time they grow. New growers are attracted to them because they don't have to buy a timer and seal their flowering room against light leaks, I guess. If you want big plants get photo strains - you'll have a full range of genetics to choose from, can grow better bud, and whatever size plants you want.

Well it sure looked a spider and it was tinny as hell. So, thats what I think it was but I can't be certain. What can be done about them? Is there any specific type of pesticide that is effective on them?

It is my first grow, so I wanted to take as few risks as possible. Though, I now believe that I could have gone with the photoperiods, we have summer all year long here with temps reaching as high as 50C, plus I can grow it on the roof without any trouble from anybody. But it has been a nice experiment so far, I have 5 autos growing at the moment. I got 15 seeds from seedsman for $35 incl shipping (bitcoin promotion) and I still have around 4 photoperiods with me, so I will plant and clone them endlessly as soon as I am done with this.

Weasel is spot on. Autos are absolutely avoided by everyone who really(!) cares about growing the best herb. Bar none. I don't know a single grower who will run autos, they're absolutely a joke in my opinion, and in the opinion of every pro grower I know.

Even though I picked up autos because of the speed and ease of growth, I was led to believe otherwise. I read that autos have acquired similar potency and yield to their photoperiod counterparts.

Even though I picked up autos because of the speed and ease of growth, I was led to believe otherwise. I read that autos have acquired similar potency and yield to their photoperiod counterparts.
Im growing a blue mammoth auto now. I finished up 2 white widow autos and have got RAVE reviews from veteran smokers and growers. Yield is much lower than a photoperiod, but I have smoked for a long time, and am very happy with the potency I achieved with my autos so far. I plan to do photoperiods mainlu, now with a couple of autos in the mix to keep my meds stocked up while the photos grow.

Im growing a blue mammoth auto now. I finished up 2 white widow autos and have got RAVE reviews from veteran smokers and growers. Yield is much lower than a photoperiod, but I have smoked for a long time, and am very happy with the potency I achieved with my autos so far. I plan to do photoperiods mainlu, now with a couple of autos in the mix to keep my meds stocked up while the photos grow.

What was the yield in grams? Whats the effect like?

What was the yield in grams? Whats the effect like?
First ww was 1oz with a nice relaxing, yet energetic high. Smoke and go on a nice walk or bike ride on the beach, wow is it nice. The 2nd ww i harvested was larger due to topping and lst. Got just under 1.5oz i harvested it later than the 1st so i can get a more couch lock high. Its best for a night cap smoke, sleep like a baby and wipes out any anxiety I have. I have also made ediblea from each plant and am so happy with the way they turned out. I have friends requesting certain edibles because they loved it so much. I have made cannabutter, canna olive oil and canna coconut oil, brownies, blueberry muffins, chocolate bars and peanutbutter cup bars.

I agree, people that automatically rule out autos clearly haven't done there research. A well bread Auto can be just as strong as photos plus yield crazy amounts if done right. A quick google of Dutch passions 900 gram yielding Auto Mazar will impress most.

The statement, "A well bred auto can be just as strong as photos" would be the exception, not the rule. "Can be", not "is" being the operative alliteration. Autos are bred by infusing Ruderalis Hemp, which automatically (pun very much intended) dilutes the drug cannabis gene pool. There's simply little to no reason to grow "autos." And 900 grams of weaksauce Hemp is exactly 900 grams of compost from where I sit. It's extremely easy for me to say this, as I have "done my research" over several decades of growing. Autos are a fad, and little more. It won't be long before most people look back at autos and say "Whatthefuckwas I thinking?" If they work for you, great. But as anything but a science fair project for inquisitive minds, and a cash cow for seed companies, autos are a dismissible piece of indoor cannabis horticulture.

1661221181126.png

1661221205176.png

1661221242615.png

1661221264937.png

1661221292039.png

1661221325401.png

1661221553401.png

1661221554164.png

I had plenty of time today so I took some more photos. It appears that the yellow leaf tips thing is spreading fast. Any advice? Should I add gypsum to the soil as suggested earlier?

1661221096267.png

1661221137614.png

And this little one sprouted with the seed cap still on. Tried moisting the cap with no luck so the next day, I removed the cap gently with a finger. A day and half later, its still in the same state as it was when I removed the cap. Its not progressing further. Is it damaged?

First ww was 1oz with a nice relaxing, yet energetic high. Smoke and go on a nice walk or bike ride on the beach, wow is it nice. The 2nd ww i harvested was larger due to topping and lst. Got just under 1.5oz i harvested it later than the 1st so i can get a more couch lock high. Its best for a night cap smoke, sleep like a baby and wipes out any anxiety I have. I have also made ediblea from each plant and am so happy with the way they turned out. I have friends requesting certain edibles because they loved it so much. I have made cannabutter, canna olive oil and canna coconut oil, brownies, blueberry muffins, chocolate bars and peanutbutter cup bars.

Sounds delicious! Let me harvest my first grow and I will surely try some of the edibles.

So you got around 30 gm of bud from it? What does it mean when strain database and breeder websites mention certain grains per plant? For instance, the blue mammoth auto is estimated to grow 15 - 20 gr per plant which roughly translates into 1.2 gram of bud. Am I missing something?

Sounds delicious! Let me harvest my first grow and I will surely try some of the edibles.

So you got around 30 gm of bud from it? What does it mean when strain database and breeder websites mention certain grains per plant? For instance, the blue mammoth auto is estimated to grow 15 - 20 gr per plant which roughly translates into 1.2 gram of bud. Am I missing something?
I dont trust the sites estimates at all, I just grow it and see what happens

What you're missing is that they aren't talking about 'grains'- GR stands for grams. But just ignore their estimates. They're meaningless.
As for your question about adding gypsum- I'm not really a soil grower and haven't tried gypsum. But the advice you got early in the thread was solid. You'll always continue to have issues in that clay soil you're growing in. However, since it's an auto plant- you may cause more harm than good by transplanting it- you probably won't be able to free the roots from that clumpy soil. But you could just up-pot into a larger pot of better soil and leave the clay stuff intact.

Sorry- I'm just waking up and may be more confused than usual. What are you specifically asking advice on? You have got a fair amount of advice from people. I might have missed some of your questions.

Back
Top Bottom