Can anyone explain this?

Such joie de vivre!

I couldn't even have thought a few months ago that I would be growing my own medicine in my home! :D

Now don't over love her and every single time you think she is close to ready to cut--- wait wait and wait some more.. you have a long road ahead but she is well on her way!

That's got to be the worse soil I have ever seen in my 35 years as a bud farmer your mmj plant is being environmentally poisoned by that soil save your.money and gets some good dirt brother wow....that's your whole problem
That soil though. Oh man. I think we have all been telling him from day one it's his soil. Please get some better soil and give those plants some air, water, and a nice place to grow.

Hey now you know how to grow !
For the next grow step up your game , try to progress from your mistakes and these awesome peoples tips .
I learned plenty from this forum !

-J.D

"And this little one sprouted with the seed cap still on."

That was a big mistake. It's leaves will look waxy compared to other plants. The buds will not form like they should. Very small and not worth spending the money to grow. I did the same thing cause who knew. I ended up killing mine off after 3 weeks into flowing. There were hardly any buds on it. The other plant of the same stain's buds were 4 times the size.

As for your soil. People dig out clay for a reason. It is like a clay pot with no holes. Holds all the water. Way too hard for the roots to do well growing in. They will get root bound and over watering (which can cause nutrient lockout and kill your plant very quickly. The leaves droop like in your photo. Like you, a plant can only drink so much water before it drowns ) will be a constant issue. Soil-less medium is best in my opinion. Promix for example.

Instead of cal-mag try skim milk and Epsom salts. Organic gives better terepens and in extension odor and taste. Plus you do not have to flush milk or Epsom salts.

That was a big mistake. It's leaves will look waxy compared to other plants. The buds will not form like they should. Very small and not worth spending the money to grow. I did the same thing cause who knew. I ended up killing mine off after 3 weeks into flowing. There were hardly any buds on it. The other plant of the same stain's buds were 4 times the size.

As for your soil. People dig out clay for a reason. It is like a clay pot with no holes. Holds all the water. Way too hard for the roots to do well growing in. They will get root bound and over watering (which can cause nutrient lockout and kill your plant very quickly. The leaves droop like in your photo. Like you, a plant can only drink so much water before it drowns ) will be a constant issue. Soil-less medium is best in my opinion. Promix for example.

Instead of cal-mag try skim milk and Epsom salts. Organic gives better terepens and in extension odor and taste. Plus you do not have to flush milk or Epsom salts.
I also epsum salts in mine. Good stuff.

That soil though. Oh man. I think we have all been telling him from day one it's his soil. Please get some better soil and give those plants some air, water, and a nice place to grow.

Taking it out and transplanting it into another pot would have been much worse than this soil, hence I couldn't rectify that particular problem. A lesson for my next grow though.

Hey now you know how to grow !
For the next grow step up your game , try to progress from your mistakes and these awesome peoples tips .
I learned plenty from this forum !

-J.D

The best experience of my life!

Not too long ago, cannabis was a complete obscure mystery to me, it grows in the northern side of our country (chitral/hindukush) and is sold in the form of sticky resin (charas). Now I have that thing in my home. And sooner or later I will figure out how to produce autoflowering feminized seeds.

1661220154846.png

1661220168298.png

Thanks for the advice. What about this soil? I will mix it with coco coir.

No not that soil.

Hey - I spent a couple years in your country (if you're in India as I'm assuming) and have a question for you. Do you have any idea how bhang is prepared? I mean - I partook of plenty of it. I'm mainly wondering if you know if it is decarbed (heated or cooked in any way), and if it is fresh green bud or dried. Many of the bhang lassis I drank were bright green so I thought they were made with fresh bud. But I never thought to go ask in the kitchen.
I'm curious for some reasons which would take a while to explain- but basically it involves trying to find out how effective bud works when it hasn't been decarbed. If you don't know what decarbed means I can explain, or you can google it. And if this conversation isn't appropriate for your journal we can pm instead.

Re the soil- you want something as fluffy and spongy as possible. Think of dark coloured loamy soil where there is a lot of organic matter- like on the floor of a thick forest. I know that India has a lot of clay soil, and also, from what I've seen, in many areas the soil is depleted and not as good as it could be.
You need soil with good drainage. I'd suggest looking for coconut coir (ground up husk) but that may get you into needing to control ph- which would be difficult for you to achieve.

No not that soil.

Hey - I spent a couple years in your country (if you're in India as I'm assuming) and have a question for you. Do you have any idea how bhang is prepared? I mean - I partook of plenty of it. I'm mainly wondering if you know if it is decarbed (heated or cooked in any way), and if it is fresh green bud or dried. Many of the bhang lassis I drank were bright green so I thought they were made with fresh bud. But I never thought to go ask in the kitchen.
I'm curious for some reasons which would take a while to explain- but basically it involves trying to find out how effective bud works when it hasn't been decarbed. If you don't know what decarbed means I can explain, or you can google it. And if this conversation isn't appropriate for your journal we can pm instead.

Re the soil- you want something as fluffy and spongy as possible. Think of dark coloured loamy soil where there is a lot of organic matter- like on the floor of a thick forest. I know that India has a lot of clay soil, and also, from what I've seen, in many areas the soil is depleted and not as good as it could be.
You need soil with good drainage. I'd suggest looking for coconut coir (ground up husk) but that may get you into needing to control ph- which would be difficult for you to achieve.

The soil is the best that we have available here. Isn't it better than the clay crap, that I am using currently?

No, I am slightly to the west of that country. But the beverage that you speak of, is consumed widely here too. The bhang is a dried and grounded into a paste-like preparation of the leaves/buds of cannabis plants. To the very best of my knowledge, it is never heated in any way though I can inquire further if you are interested. I am aware of the process of decarboxylation in which inactive cannabinoids are converted to active ones.

A tooth fairy I know, used to ingest cannabis resin preparation (charas), like all oral preparations of cannabis it takes a while to get on but once it does, you will be high for a good 6-7 hours plus the hangover/after glow will last the following day. She told me that she noticed something about oral preparation, they didn't seem to work when they weren't heated properly before ingestion or work as potently like heated cannabis resin. But bhang, surprisingly seems to work somehow. And it doesn't make sense to me, but I have heard reports of people laughing for a good period of the day after having that drink. I personally have never had it, I like having the medicine alone and in calm environment, bhang on the other hand is more of a drink to be had on social occasions.

I am in Pakistan. I can get peat moss/perlite and add it to the soil to make it better. But I don't think that I can get the different exotic types of soils that you guys use. At the moment, I am preparing coco peat for usage in soil. As far as I know, that substance is pH neutral. And drains and aerates readily.

I use a medium with no soil. Peet and perlite are both in what I use. It has to let water pass through it but retain Emmitt moisture for a few days. Putting a little sand in that soil would help with that.

Thanks a lot for the bhang info. So it is dried first- that would make sense since fresh bud wouldn't be as practical or accessible. The way I (vaguely) understand it - drying does cause some decarboxylization to take place, converting THCa (the raw and non-psychoactive form) into THC. Also- time, the longer the bud is stored the more it naturally decarbs.
So it will get you high, you just need to comsume more of it. Which makes sense because some of the bhang drinks I had were pretty much a process of choking down half a litre of ground up green cannabis sludge. It certainly worked though!
I smoked lots and lots of charas all over India. I don't remember if I ate any. I didn't go to your country except briefly in the desert west of Jaisalmer somewhere, but we weren't in the country officially/legally so didn't stay very long.

Ok yes I suppose that soil would be better than clay. But it looks nutritionally dead. Is it mainly sand?
You can grow in straight sand, or coco coir, peat moss, or even pebbles. Basically you can grow in any such inert substance that holds rots and provides aeration for them. But that's technically hydroponics and you need to start paying attention to the ph range you use or your plants will suffer greatly. This is how I grow- in peat moss and perlite. It means having a good ph meter along with ph- and ph+ ( acid and base ) and testing and adjusting everything that goes in the pots. The ph of everything fed to the plant should be around 5.6- 5.8.

A hydro medium may be ph neutral - but it still uses the hydro ph range and feeding/watering needs constant monitoring.

Soil generally contains buffering ingredients like compost, dolomite lime, and other minerals, which tend to regulate the ph closer to neutral. Soil will accept a wider range of acidic or alkaline nutrients or water, and you won't see a lot of deficiencies in the plant as long as you don't get too extremely acid or alkaline.

I'm not a soil grower so probably can't help you much with a good soil mix. If what you have is sand, you need to either treat it as hydroponics, or add some ph buffering ingredients and turn it into some sort of soil- but they're two quite different ways of growing.

The soil is the best that we have available here. Isn't it better than the clay crap, that I am using currently?

No, I am slightly to the west of that country. But the beverage that you speak of, is consumed widely here too. The bhang is a dried and grounded into a paste-like preparation of the leaves/buds of cannabis plants. To the very best of my knowledge, it is never heated in any way though I can inquire further if you are interested. I am aware of the process of decarboxylation in which inactive cannabinoids are converted to active ones.

A tooth fairy I know, used to ingest cannabis resin preparation (charas), like all oral preparations of cannabis it takes a while to get on but once it does, you will be high for a good 6-7 hours plus the hangover/after glow will last the following day. She told me that she noticed something about oral preparation, they didn't seem to work when they weren't heated properly before ingestion or work as potently like heated cannabis resin. But bhang, surprisingly seems to work somehow. And it doesn't make sense to me, but I have heard reports of people laughing for a good period of the day after having that drink. I personally have never had it, I like having the medicine alone and in calm environment, bhang on the other hand is more of a drink to be had on social occasions.

I am in Pakistan. I can get peat moss/perlite and add it to the soil to make it better. But I don't think that I can get the different exotic types of soils that you guys use. At the moment, I am preparing coco peat for usage in soil. As far as I know, that substance is pH neutral. And drains and aerates readily.
Thats good. Now I get it man. The peat moss and perlite would be great. You just have to add nutes to that. Don't mix it with your soil. No need. If you have access to coco coir then add it but you've got what you need. Being in Pakistan do you have access to any afghan weed? I've heard the hash that comes out of there is awesome as well. Lots of stuff going on over there in the surrounding country's by you. Be safe and happy growing.

Thanks a lot for the bhang info. So it is dried first- that would make sense since fresh bud wouldn't be as practical or accessible. The way I (vaguely) understand it - drying does cause some decarboxylization to take place, converting THCa (the raw and non-psychoactive form) into THC. Also- time, the longer the bud is stored the more it naturally decarbs.
So it will get you high, you just need to comsume more of it. Which makes sense because some of the bhang drinks I had were pretty much a process of choking down half a litre of ground up green cannabis sludge. It certainly worked though!
I smoked lots and lots of charas all over India. I don't remember if I ate any. I didn't go to your country except briefly in the desert west of Jaisalmer somewhere, but we weren't in the country officially/legally so didn't stay very long.

Ok yes I suppose that soil would be better than clay. But it looks nutritionally dead. Is it mainly sand?
You can grow in straight sand, or coco coir, peat moss, or even pebbles. Basically you can grow in any such inert substance that holds rots and provides aeration for them. But that's technically hydroponics and you need to start paying attention to the ph range you use or your plants will suffer greatly. This is how I grow- in peat moss and perlite. It means having a good ph meter along with ph- and ph+ ( acid and base ) and testing and adjusting everything that goes in the pots. The ph of everything fed to the plant should be around 5.6- 5.8.

A hydro medium may be ph neutral - but it still uses the hydro ph range and feeding/watering needs constant monitoring.

Soil generally contains buffering ingredients like compost, dolomite lime, and other minerals, which tend to regulate the ph closer to neutral. Soil will accept a wider range of acidic or alkaline nutrients or water, and you won't see a lot of deficiencies in the plant as long as you don't get too extremely acid or alkaline.

I'm not a soil grower so probably can't help you much with a good soil mix. If what you have is sand, you need to either treat it as hydroponics, or add some ph buffering ingredients and turn it into some sort of soil- but they're two quite different ways of growing.

Glad to be of assistance, you are correct in saying that the buds/leaves aren't fresh, infact they are "cured" over a period of time even though the people involved in the process might not exactly know what curing is, for them they just use old dried plant matter. And of course, inactive cannabinoids are converted to active ones as the time passes. How does "charas" compare to the usual cannabis preparation that you guys use? Potency, smell, taste, effect? I believe that they "waste" a lot of plant matter to produce charas whilst you guys make use of most of it. Bhang, on the other hand, doesn't let anything go into waste at all.

I am still working on the soil issue, for now and no, its not mainly sand. I have added around ~twenty percent coco peat and a kg of gypsum for my next grow which would be a photoperiod strain. Hydroponics is still a bit more advanced for my liking, I will look into it once I get more comfortable with soil.

I agree, people that automatically rule out autos clearly haven't done there research. A well bread Auto can be just as strong as photos plus yield crazy amounts if done right. A quick google of Dutch passions 900 gram yielding Auto Mazar will impress most.
Here is a little grow from Grow Pot Cheaply. Auto Critical from Royal Queen Seeds. The biggest auto ever: Massive auto marijuana grow - YouTube

Yields 3 pounds. No shit.......

There is also another video to follow up with dry weight on scales. Honestly impressive. . .

Thats good. Now I get it man. The peat moss and perlite would be great. You just have to add nutes to that. Don't mix it with your soil. No need. If you have access to coco coir then add it but you've got what you need. Being in Pakistan do you have access to any afghan weed? I've heard the hash that comes out of there is awesome as well. Lots of stuff going on over there in the surrounding country's by you. Be safe and happy growing.

SWIM have had plenty of it, but in the form of sticky resin again. I don't understand the country's obsession with it though, maybe its because its easier to be transported and concealed. I can't think of any other other thing which would explain the sale of only one kind of cannabis. I am thousands of kilometers away from that hell-hole.

Glad to be of assistance, you are correct in saying that the buds/leaves aren't fresh, infact they are "cured" over a period of time even though the people involved in the process might not exactly know what curing is, for them they just use old dried plant matter. And of course, inactive cannabinoids are converted to active ones as the time passes. How does "charas" compare to the usual cannabis preparation that you guys use? Potency, smell, taste, effect? I believe that they "waste" a lot of plant matter to produce charas whilst you guys make use of most of it. Bhang, on the other hand, doesn't let anything go into waste at all.

I am still working on the soil issue, for now and no, its not mainly sand. I have added around ~twenty percent coco peat and a kg of gypsum for my next grow which would be a photoperiod strain. Hydroponics is still a bit more advanced for my liking, I will look into it once I get more comfortable with soil.

Thanks for helping clear up this mystery a little. I've been curious about this for a long time. I'm curious about charas as well, and how it's made.

You can't always believe what you read on the internet.

I never had a chance to see the process first hand. Never wanted to ask someone I didn't know well, and end up going on some weird trip to 'their uncle's shop' and end up in a very expensive situation, if you know what I mean.
As for the quality of charas in India, it's pretty low. I usually smoked it in a chillum, and could go through a lot of it to get high. It's quite weak and seems to contain a lot of 'extra' plant matter besides the desired resin. Texture was generally dry and hard. Looked a little like your clay soil actually but more of a red brown colour. Nothing special in terms of taste or smell, but it got the job done and I have fond memories of it.
Having said that, I never made it to the North to the prime hash producing areas to seek out any possible higher quality stuff. Mostly I was in Varanasi. Also all over Bengal and Rhajastan and south as far as Kerala- and many places in between, but never up into the very north. So maybe there are better areas for finding good quality hash. Though I spent a couple month in Katmandu and the charas there also seemed quite weak.

My usual way to make hash is with ice and some strainer bags (bubble bags). You can also do the same method without the strainers- I'd estimate that it results in about 25% more extraneous plant matter in the hash doing it without the bags (depending on how long you let the mixture sit to settle) but it still works great and produces high quality hash. Check the first or second page of my Hexapus journal if you're ever interested in that method.

I'm guessing that the charas I smoked in India probably compares in strength to about the weakest bubble hash I could reasonably make, if I used mainly leaf material instead of bud. My guess is that generally the stuff I bought was purposely made weaker by diluting it in the process, therefore ending up with more product to sell.
I never tried asking around for the 'highest quality'. I don't mind weaker smoke sometimes. Besides which it's always 'the highest quality' when you ask about it.
When making hash its basically a process of making a very small amount of very strong stuff ( more pure resin), or making a larger amount of weaker product (more plant matter in the mix). So I figured most of the charas was purposely made rather weak. Not as much profit in small amounts.

There is a good soil thread here-

Building a Better Soil - Demonstrations & Discussions of Organic Soil Recipes

It's mainly full of organic soil growers, but very nice and knowledgeable people. Take your soil questions there and explain your location and the materials you have available to work with, and someone should be able to help you.

Soilless, which includes all the mediums I mentioned - like coco and peat, is a form of hydro. Nothing too difficult about growing this way, but the stumbling bloack for you will be getting a good ph meter. I've seen a few people in the forum from India and Pakistan, and materials are limited compared to what we have in the west. You'd be better to work with what you can find locally. There should be a way.

Thanks for helping clear up this mystery a little. I've been curious about this for a long time. I'm curious about charas as well, and how it's made.

You can't always believe what you read on the internet.

I never had a chance to see the process first hand. Never wanted to ask someone I didn't know well, and end up going on some weird trip to 'their uncle's shop' and end up in a very expensive situation, if you know what I mean.
As for the quality of charas in India, it's pretty low. I usually smoked it in a chillum, and could go through a lot of it to get high. It's quite weak and seems to contain a lot of 'extra' plant matter besides the desired resin. Texture was generally dry and hard. Looked a little like your clay soil actually but more of a red brown colour. Nothing special in terms of taste or smell, but it got the job done and I have fond memories of it.
Having said that, I never made it to the North to the prime hash producing areas to seek out any possible higher quality stuff. Mostly I was in Varanasi. Also all over Bengal and Rhajastan and south as far as Kerala- and many places in between, but never up into the very north. So maybe there are better areas for finding good quality hash. Though I spent a couple month in Katmandu and the charas there also seemed quite weak.

My usual way to make hash is with ice and some strainer bags (bubble bags). You can also do the same method without the strainers- I'd estimate that it results in about 25% more extraneous plant matter in the hash doing it without the bags (depending on how long you let the mixture sit to settle) but it still works great and produces high quality hash. Check the first or second page of my Hexapus journal if you're ever interested in that method.

I'm guessing that the charas I smoked in India probably compares in strength to about the weakest bubble hash I could reasonably make, if I used mainly leaf material instead of bud. My guess is that generally the stuff I bought was purposely made weaker by diluting it in the process, therefore ending up with more product to sell.
I never tried asking around for the 'highest quality'. I don't mind weaker smoke sometimes. Besides which it's always 'the highest quality' when you ask about it.
When making hash its basically a process of making a very small amount of very strong stuff ( more pure resin), or making a larger amount of weaker product (more plant matter in the mix). So I figured most of the charas was purposely made rather weak. Not as much profit in small amounts.

There is a good soil thread here-

Building a Better Soil - Demonstrations & Discussions of Organic Soil Recipes

It's mainly full of organic soil growers, but very nice and knowledgeable people. Take your soil questions there and explain your location and the materials you have available to work with, and someone should be able to help you.

Soilless, which includes all the mediums I mentioned - like coco and peat, is a form of hydro. Nothing too difficult about growing this way, but the stumbling bloack for you will be getting a good ph meter. I've seen a few people in the forum from India and Pakistan, and materials are limited compared to what we have in the west. You'd be better to work with what you can find locally. There should be a way.

Well, it does seem mysterious. All of it, the plant itself, growing methods, preparation and the effects of course. At least, to me. This quality isn't limited to merely "bhang".

Better to keep quiet and enjoy what you can get, surely it was cheaper in cost than what you get in your country? I have used "chillum" in the past to breakdown level effects, but that was a long time ago and my tolerance to the herb was non-existent. I remember coming home in an auto-pilot disassociated state with minimal conscious intervention, going to bed and sleeping for twelve hours straight. And the next day, wasn't so good either. Later, I came to know that being used only to rolled cigarettes, I had taken a pretty large hit and inhaled an aerosol concentrated with thrice the content of a normal joint. So, it can be pretty overwhelming for an inexperienced user. The "charas" or the sticky resin is dry, hard and can't be manipulated easily using fingers unless it is heated, at which point it will become malleable and ready to be mixed with tobacco. But, pure stuff is hard to find, dealers usually dilute it with henna and other things which come out if the "resin" is first placed for a few minutes in boiling water. And like most varieties found here, it is usually inclined on the indica side, the full body high or the couch lock as you people like to call it. Reading what you wrote though, I can feel that I will be in for a very pleasant surprise once I harvest my buds. Wait, how does the charas compare to smoking buds?

Can you tell me a way to most effectively utilize the cannabinoids found in the leaves, low in quantity as they may be? I was thinking of placing the plant matter (except buds which I will use separately) in pure alcohol for a few days and then allowing the ALC to evaporate leaving behind some sort of wax-like substance to be smoked in vaporizer. Sounds feasible?

I will work out the soil issue, it was only my first grow.

Back
Top Bottom