Can I chop 2x4 LED board in half to create 2x2?

pawtz

420 Member
I bought this light around a year and a half ago as an open boxed unit.
I've used it probably for a day just for testing purposes when I first got it and it's sat for over a year since.
It worked 100% as it should when I last tested it.

I just recently am deciding to start another grow and decided against a 2x4 light and wanted to sell this one so I could purchase a 2x2 light instead.
Today, I pull the damn thing out to get some pictures for making an ebay auction in order to sell it and an entire row and then some went out.

So I figured I'm screwed now on getting anything of worth out of this since it now has issues.

QUESTION: Is there any way I can take off the panels and chop this thing in half to make a 2x2 light?
I have a solder kit and can pick up spare wire to redo the connections, but I'm not sure how this driver would act if I did all that.

aaaaaaaaaa.jpg

I've used it probably for a day just for testing purposes when I first got it and it's sat for over a year since.

I just recently am deciding to start another grow and decided against a 2x4 light and wanted to sell this one so I could purchase a 2x2 light instead.
Today, I pull the damn thing out to get some pictures for making an ebay auction in order to sell it and an entire row and then some went out.

So I figured I'm screwed now on getting anything of worth out of this since it now has issues.

QUESTION: Is there any way I can take off the panels and chop this thing in half to make a 2x2 light?
I have a solder kit and can pick up spare wire to redo the connections, but I'm not sure how this driver would act if I did all that.

aaaaaaaaaa.jpg

check the wiring first if you can get at it. could be just a simple loose connection. it's either that or a burnt emitter. it's odd it took the middle of the second line out, they aren't usually wired that way. a burnt emitter should be pretty easy to spot.

if it's a failed ribbon or printed circuit it could be just a matter of re-flowing some solder.

the driver and everything else are in good nick. if you can't fix it sell it as is. would be good veg rig if you hang on to it.

it looks like you have a couple deep red that gave up too, or aren't getting full volt.

aaaaaaaaaa.jpg
Hi, Bluter, I am a engineer and knew what's problem with your borad. the leds are groups in pallel connection. and each group has some leds in serial connection, there is one or more leds in one group damaged, so there is one group does not work. you need find the damaged led diode and replace it. then the whole group will be ok.

Hi, Bluter. Yes, you can use half and need drcrease the driver current into half too. because the meanwell driver is 240watt, and I think one board can support 120watt. so when you use only one board, you need make driver output 120watt. these is two holes on the back of driver, you need adjust Io hole to decrease it into 120watt. Io hole is for current adjustment. don't touch another hole. it is for voltage.

Back
Top Bottom