Can I grow a plant with only water?

The answer is. Yes, you can. Depending on the water supply of course and other fundamental properties. Such as soil. You do not need to use chem's, or water soluble nutes, or even above ground nutes/fertz... You can make a reasonably cheap and effective "heated" soil with organic nutrients. If you want to go super cheap, but still super good, go with a few bags of
IMG_145623.JPG

I think each bag is somewhere around 11 to 12$ Canadian. Then get some basic additives, such as epson salts, rock dust, different manures, perlite, HP worm casting perlite rich mix soil (to add 50/50 with the compost) Perlite is to help maintain proper saturation ), silica, humic acids ext ext.... Create a mini "supersoil" if you would. Everything will be cheap and you won't need to "nute" your plants with anything. You can just water it, everything it needs is in the soil.

If you're speaking about just feeding it basic tap water, then you need to have a really good medium. If you don't then you will deprive the plant of what it needs to grow. Trace elements and minerals are a MUST to help the plant grow. It's like me taking your eating privileges away and just feeding you straight water. What will happen? ;)

Thats hard to believe you can grow something indoors like that.. Outdoors, yes, indoors, my hats off. As for water only DWC, Plants need food... Water, isn`t enough to quench their thirst...

You absolutely can. I grow plants in organic soil with nothing but water.

PB_Bud11.jpg
AoS21.jpg
Pibull.jpg
AoS_Bud1.jpg
3SAoS_Bud4.jpg
Ace_of_Spades.jpg

I agree with Ottawa Green, he's looking water only. Not you folks super soils ;)

I say, why? then I say, try it, let us know. Good luck.

Ahhh ... sorry guys. I thought he meant water only in some sort of grow medium.
DWC with water only? No way.

Water is important and a necessity, but, you need something else. The engine. Humans can live longer without food than water, but without both they can't sustain. .plants are the same way,, I have clones right now living in water only. .but eventually they'll die, eat themselves if I don't get them some food (soil)

Do need water. DON'T need soil.
Zero soil in my grows ;-)

Yeah, I thought about hydro, but to make it grow, you're feeding it more than water, water is the medium. :) so, you don't need soil (even the super-est of super soil will run out of energy), but you need fuel.....

IMG_20160124_165229.jpg
IMG_20160124_165224.jpg
IMG_20160124_165218.jpg
Ahhh ... sorry guys. I thought he meant water only in some sort of grow medium.
DWC with water only? No way.
That is what I meant major I just wasn't specific sorry about that. But yes I'm using FFOF and just have a few (5) solo cups going just to do some spare beans I have. So far 4 are just out of soil and doing 12/12 light. The last is day 17 into flower. I only have some cal/mag, a little FFTB,and a small thing of ff kangaroot left and didn't think I could use those with them. So I was gonna just do it with water but if you guys think I can get away with doing a microgrow using those and the soil with distilled water I would like to hear all views. Here's what they look like now. The last two pics are recent of day 17 solo but the others are not. I want to show them but seems like it's only taking 17 pics to fill my photos for some reason.

you can probably easily get through the entire veg cycle with only the calmag ;)

they look nice and green for the most part, but they may need it soon. keep your eye on the lower leaves for yellowing between the veins. also, the big one looks a little droopy.. are there drainage holes in those cups? could be a little wet.

I agree with gypsy. They look good but have that "flabby / too wet" appearance. Now that they are past the germination phase, let them dry out before you give them anything - even water.

Back
Top Bottom