Can I over water?

Austinpalm36

Not sure if this is a dumb or solid question but how is it possible to overwater your plant if your supposed to flush it anyways. Like how can you give it to much water if your going to have to flush it eventually anyway. If it has drain holes can you over water? Or maybe water to frequently ?

When you do a flush it is typically done and then followed by a mild feeding. The soil can only hold so much water and if you have a good amount of aeration with something like perlite while also making sure the plant isn't sitting in run-off, the plant will process it as a watering and use up what you have given. You want the plant to use up the water towards the bottom before feeding again.

Overwatering is when you give the plant water/feed and give it more again before it can use up the water at the bottom of the pot. The lack of oxygen makes the soil anaerobic. This will weaken the roots and things like root rot take hold. Deficiencies pop up.
The more aeration you use the harder it is to do. At the same time you don't want too much or you will be watering non-stop. We usually shoot for about 30% for a soil to perlite ratio.
The main point being that cannabis need good gas exchange at the roots. Making sure they aren't too wet for extended periods of time is paramount to achieve proper root growth.

:passitleft:

Can I over water ? uh ... Sure if you want to ! I wouldn't advise it though. When you Flush you are washing away salt build up from your nutes so they will uptake properly. After flushing it could take as much as a week for your pot to need water again. It has to dry back out before you add more water. After a Flush you usually end up with droopy leaves for a day or 2 because of the flush / over watering. But as things dry up your plants come back to life. I don't flush at all for my grows unless the pH is way off & I need to get it right again.

In soil, many things play a role when it comes to watering. A large plant in a small pot will need to be watered more often then a smaller plant in a large pot. Something also to consider.

Not sure if this is a dumb or solid question but how is it possible to overwater your plant if your supposed to flush it anyways. Like how can you give it to much water if your going to have to flush it eventually anyway. If it has drain holes can you over water? Or maybe water to frequently ?

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. Watering too often displaces oxygen in the medium "drowning" the roots and the problems and game of catch up begins.

Back
Top Bottom