Cannabisgrwr's Soil Blue Dream Grow Journal - 2011 First Grow!

cannabisgrwr

Hey I am excited to start my first grow journal! I am growing Blue Dream (shooting for 4 mature females) and a Green Poison. Blue dream is a hybrid (80% Sativa, 20% Indica) and Green Poison is also a hybrid (70% Indica 30% Sativa).

I started the Green poison about a week ago and it has sprouted and started to grow.
IMG_013710.jpg

The Blue Dreams are just starting to germinate.
IMG_013315.JPG

There are 4 that have taproots sticking out, so I planted them in small styrofoam cups that I cut holes into.
IMG_013210.jpg
IMG_01356.JPG

And here is my grow room.
IMG_014112.jpg

I have them sitting under a large fluorescent grow light. I'll get the specs on that in a follow up post. And I am using Kellogg patio plus potting soil. I have never done a journal post before and so I would love to hear feedback from everyone. Alright now its time to toke up :roorrip:

Hey everyone I have some exciting updates, my plants have started to sprout from the seeds!!
IMG_014312.jpg

The one in the center is just barely poking its head through and hopefully the two on the far outer edge will come up soon. It has been about 3 days since they went in the soil.

My Green Poison plant is also starting to get some positive growth and some large leaves are coming in. This was my test plant and I had a lot of trouble with it. First off, I sprouted it in a cell pack and I think from the very beginning it was too cramped for the plant, to make things worse bugs were biting off the baby leaves. To fix everything I put little ant poison packs around the bottom of my plants and now I don't see any more bugs and my plants aren't being eaten alive, so for now i think i'm okay with bugs. I transported the Green Poison plant prematurely into its large container. After a couple days of not doing anything, its stem looks a little taller and the leaves are getting much larger. I also put a stepping stone under my pot to raise it closer to the light and that also seems to be helping. Anyway here's a photo:
IMG_014815.JPG

As promised I also got the specs on the light I am using, here they are:
IMG_015114.jpg

I know it is a good lamp for veg but when I go to flower I am not quite sure what to do yet. I would love suggestions from anyone following along. I read that I may be able to supplement with CFL's in the red spectrum range, but I wouldn't mind spending the money on a better light for flower because I would like to do a lot more grows. I plan on slowly ramping up my equipment and maybe even going to hydroponics, but I think for right now I just need to grow these baby girls up and get some hands on experience so I know what the hell I'm doin!

Hey Cannabisgrwr,

Congratulations on starting your journal. It looks like you're off to a great start. A couple of things that come to mind after reading your post:

Soil - Be wary of soils purchased at home centers. They all seem to contain some type of miracle-gro or other general use fertilizers. MJ does not like Miracle Gro and will show signs of nutrient burn if you expose the plants too long. Also be mindful of the size of your containers. The moisture level in the soil is important and it is hard to keep it at the proper level if the container is too big or too small. Some of your pots appear to be rather large for seedlings but it could just be the perspective of the photo.

Lights - You're on the right track with those HO T5 flourescents. You can't go wrong there for seedlings and early vegatative growth. Before you consider the right light for later in veg or flower you will need to decide on the size of the area you are going to grow in.

Grow area- Your grow should be contained in a pre-fab grow tent or some other DIY enclosure with reflective material on the inside. This will let you concentrate the lighting in the grow area as well as contain the smell that will begin in a few weeks. Grow tents are usually pre-configured with connectors for external ventilation ducts to allow you to quickly and easily move the heat and smell away from your grow.

Let us know more about your plans for the grow and I'm sure others will join in with their thoughts.

Thanks for the advice jcool! I looked at the ingredients for the soil which is Kellogg's patio plus soil. The ingredients read: Composted forest products, canadian peat moss, composted chicken manure, rice hulls, horticultural sand, perlite, bat guano, kelp meal & worm castings. If there is anything bad in there let me know because I would definitely switch soils for my next grow.

My Blue dream plants are also in styrofoam cups that are about the same size as a 4" plant container. My Green poison plant is in a 7 gallon container because I started it out in a cell pack which later seemed like a bad idea, and I read that you only want to transplant the plants once, so I just decided to bite the bullet and stick it in the 7 gallon. It seems to be doing well so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if it dies.

My shed is 7ft by 7.5ft and the ceiling is approximately 6.5ft tall. I want to buy a 250 watt HPS light for later veg and flowering and at this point I plan/hope on having 4 plants total that will go into flowering. I have no problem cutting a hole through the shed to put a vent in for the light.

For the grow room I painted my walls with flat white paint to act as a cheap short term solution. I would love to put up mylar later as a way to make it even more reflective. Also I have my plants in the middle of the room, I am thinking about moving them right against the wall to get the reflected light better. I also want to install some fans in it and I was thinking I could get some ductile tubing and run the air from the fans a good distance under the house to conceal the smell some. Luckily I shouldn't have to worry about the smell too much because I am a couple miles from the nearest neighbor or road.

As an update for the grow, I had all my plants sprout but 1 (I am hoping it will eventually come up) so I have a total of 8 Blue Dream plants and 1 Green Poison plant. The Blue Dreams are not feminized, so some of them are definitely going to be males and I will throw them out when the time comes. So far all my plants look healthy and green. I'll post some updated pics tomorrow to show everyone the progress all the plants are making. If anyone has more tips for me I would really appreciate it.

:bigtoke:

Here are my newly planted seedlings showing some very rapid stem growth.
IMG_015612.jpg

And an arial view:
IMG_016013.jpg

I also have 3 more that I never took pictures of, here they are:
IMG_01639.JPG

And my Green Poison plant, staying tough and showing some new leaf growth:
IMG_016514.JPG

I have been watering my plants about every 4 days, the containers feel very light at that point and the soil is dry a good ways under and the plants don't look too stressed out so I think it is the perfect time for my girls to get a drink. I have also been trying to take better photos that don't look so blurry, I have to practice now so I can get mouth watering shots when I have giant buds (hopefully):yummy:

Things continue to do well (as far as I can see) the seedlings are growing up and showing lots of new leaf growth. My friend also started seedlings from the same bunch of seeds that I used and I was shocked to see how different the plants are turning out. Her plants are probably about 3 times as tall as mine and don't have a whole lot of leaf growth. She is using a small fluorescent strip, I told her to move the strip a lot closer to the leaves so that they are able to focus more on leaf growth, I'll try and post a few pictures of those in the next day or so.

Anyway here are my plants:
IMG_018115.jpg

IMG_018712.jpg

IMG_018510.jpg

IMG_018310.jpg

In the first picture you can see the center plant is a bit of a runt and the outer seedling never showed up. I am continuing to water about every 4 days which so far has been a really good schedule, however I will adjust if needed because I know the best time to water is when the soil is dry!

Alright, time to smoke :bongrip:

Hey man looking good. Blue dream is some strong medicine, but i thought it was a 50/50 hybrid and clone only whats the story behind the seeds? What seed bank has them or is it from a dispenciary. sorry about the spelling we dont have those stores around here if ya know what i mean. Im in :popcorn:

Nice start and setup, I love Blue Dream!

Thanks, it's one of my favorites too!

^^this. Really like the setup you have going on there. I also have a bluedream plant going about 3 weeks into flowering. In the completed grow journal section there is a great journal Xbox monster blue dream grow. A really great journal and should give you a idea what to expect as far as strech and what not.

Thanks, I will definitely check out that journal. Im about
To expand my set up and get a HPS light!

Hey man looking good. Blue dream is some strong medicine, but i thought it was a 50/50 hybrid and clone only whats the story behind the seeds? What seed bank has them or is it from a dispenciary. sorry about the spelling we dont have those stores around here if ya know what i mean. Im in

I got the seeds from a friend who bred two nice looking blue dream plants together. I just got the strain information from the website below. I also have some exciting updates to post tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

Blue Dream Strain Review | A Greener Country

Alright, sorry for taking so long to post the follow up but a lot has happened in the last week. I started college, so that has made me very busy, but even so I still found time to get a HPS light and transplant my girls into bigger pots. They all seem to be doing very well. When I transplanted them the roots were circling the bottom of the pots many times over so there starting to grow very fast now with more room!

Anyway here are the pictures:
IMG_01918.JPG

IMG_019212.JPG

IMG_01937.JPG

IMG_019810.JPG

And here is my green poison plant, she is doing very well!
IMG_020015.jpg

IMG_019914.jpg

My light is at 400 watts right now but it can go up to 600. I hope you all like the pictures, as always let me know what you think!

23 Days After Planting

Things continue to grow well, my plants are continuing to fill out into their new larger homes.

Here are my 6 favorite Blue Dreams outside before watering:
IMG_020617.JPG

And here is one up close:
IMG_020223.JPG

And the Green Poison continues to grow extremely fast:
IMG_020714.JPG

I am planning on feeding my plants next week with Maxsea All Purpose 16-16-16. I will post some pictures of the results when I do. Thanks for reading!

26 Days after planting

Hey everyone, my weed plants keep growing faster than I can keep up with. Just today I had to raise my light up again because the side of the leaves on the tops of the plants curled a little at the edge.

Here is all of them:
IMG_021414.JPG

My Favorite Blue Dream:
IMG_020810.JPG

Green Poison:
IMG_021015.JPG

I cannot believe how fast they continue to grow. From the pictures you can also see I switched the HPS out for metal halide at the moment. As soon as I put them in flower I will switch them back over again, but for now they seem to be content to keep putting out more leaves.

Later everyone
:Rasta::ganjamon::yahoo::bong::yummy::bongrip::yahoo::ganjamon::Rasta::ganjamon:
:Smoking weed:

Hey everyone I think I am starting to get close to flowering my smallest plants are about 12" tall and my tallest are about 24" tall. I fertilized my Green poison plant with Maxsea All purpose and about 5 days later it seems to have taken well to it. Here it is:
IMG_023713.JPG

The rest of my plants are doing really well, putting out lots of new leaves, here is a couple group photos:
IMG_023515.JPG

IMG_023414.JPG

and here is one of my favorite hopefully females:
IMG_023817.JPG

For my Blue dream plants, I want to fertilize them once with the Maxsea All Purpose, wait a couple days and then switch over to 12 on / 12 off and change my metal halide out for the HPS. I would like some opinions about the flowering as well as any other things I may want to be considering.

For anyone who wants to get caught up here is my gallery:
https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/users/cannabisgrwr.120673/

The plants have been in flower for about 12 days and are about 48 days old since first planted. I have transitioned my lights to 12 on / 12 off and i'm starting to see growth towards flowering. One of mine had clearly turned male and I a had to kill it today to help make room for the ladies who are quickly outgrowing my shed.

Here is the male, if you look close you can see ball flowers:

IMG_024712.jpg

:rip: :ganjamon: and moving on...

I have a shot of one of the females flowers in the shed. I am going to post an update in a couple of days of the plant outside so the flower can be seen better.

Here is a Blue Dream Female:

IMG_02498.jpg

Here are all the girls in the shed, I had to stake them because they were starting to fall over:

IMG_025212.jpg

And here is the Green Poison:

IMG_023914.jpg

I plan on getting some better pics in the next couple of days, I have also been feeding with Maxsea 3 -20 - 20 Bloom, so I expect a lot more growth in the next couple of days.

Great job! I'm impressed with your green thumb. I wouldn't worry about smell if your nearest neighbor is a couple of miles. You are totally fine. The smell in full bloom, unless you have a field of course, will not usually travel more than a few hundred feet at most. Keep up the great work and great choice of strains!

Alright as promised I have a couple of pics of the starts of some flowers. I only took a couple of pictures of one plant because I'm too lazy to move all of them outside.

Here is a top view, little white pistils are starting to come out of the top:

IMG_026116.JPG

And here is a side view, if you look close you can see some white hairs poking out:

IMG_026317.JPG

I plan on posting some more pics as soon as some noticeable development on the flowers is seen. Thanks for reading everyone!
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom