Celt’s 2020 Grows

Evening @Weaselcracker ,

Been some interesting times here as well with the c19 semi-lockdown and then the shooting rampage here last weekend, and we just got an alert about 20 mins ago for people in 2 different areas around Halifax to stay indoors due to more gunfire. Some I guess are losing their minds locally.

As for my PC, she was 80 days post flip today. I have no doubt that if not for having self pollinated her, she could go longer if I could keep the bitch happy lol but I have had outdoor bud of PC given me harvested in late September that was awful good but more of a head high harvested early than what I grew indoor that was at about 8 weeks. Mine was more balanced, some body and a head as well. I am thinking she is one of those strains that the longer you leave her, the more body she develops.

My pheno sounds much like the one that you can’t let go, sticky like glue, strong smelling but not skunky, more of a tart/sour earthy smell that reminds me of tropical plantations. The same smell in flower as the cured bud.

As for the smoke, I love it and use it sparingly as I hate to run out lol unless I have been coughing for some other reason, the smoke is smooth and not overly heavy with a somewhat limey impression on the inhale and a more tart/sour exhale is about the best I can describe it. Rarely tickles my throat unless I make a pig of myself and roll something the size of a colt cigar and try to smoke it all in one setting lol

Now the effects, the outdoor stuff I mentioned earlier, is quite heady and good for partying. My pheno harvested at 8 weeks is more balanced, can feel the body relax and tingle while the mind gets a relaxed but focused high. That is one reason I love the pheno even with her miserable disposition, I can smoke it pretty much anytime of the day to still function but if I want to sleep at night, the relaxation of the mind and body helps slow the wheels in my head as well as ease the nerve pain.

Hash will always be my go to smoke through the day but this pheno and some phenos of Blue Dream come a close second.

I stopped following the news a few years back. Sorry to hear there was a shooting rampage- always somebody losing their mind somewhere I guess :(. Glad to hear about the PC smoke though. Good to find out that we are probably both mixed up with the same bitch, maybe we can finally sort this out...

A little bit more on the PC and the use of GA3.

Do not use GA3 after you flip or you will get bud that looks much like Dr Grinspoon strain, se below

93CB3ED7-F1C1-4749-BEA7-5296078425EF.jpeg

E0090611-F29B-4080-878D-8FF1A3B4CDB3.jpeg

individual calyx about an inch apart up the main stem, might due to genetics or just mad stretch from the GA3 and would happen on any strain. Next seed run, I will test to see if it was a genetic reaction and strain specific or just a general no no for any strain.

And, we also have seed, there was a pod that felt hard so I set it aside when I was cutting fans off before drying. It was a seed which is now in water for a soak lol

1395D344-3AB3-42EF-B9E1-5BE8EFC31433.jpeg

Hey Celt. Great journal! This is fantastic stuff you’re doing.
I’ve been lucking-out trying to pop some ancient beans. It is so frustrating. Then I wonder how to make new seeds from them if I can get them to go.
And here you are: GA3, my new shopping list.
You make it look easy to use. Elegant, simple, and effective.
:thanks:
:peace::cool:

Much thanks @DonkeyDick , if there is any viability to your old seed, GA3 will break their dormancy, just be mindful that they will stretch like a MOFO for the first week or so and will need soil built up around the stem as they do that stretch or they will grow themselves to death and fall over.

GA3 in general must promote stretch as it does the same thing to branches reversed for pollen.

Seeing as I have twin seedlings out of this batch, I thought I would look into some of the mutations I am seeing in these little ones, this bit on twins was quite interesting:

TWIN SEEDLINGS
This mutation is very common. Polyembryonic seeds contain more than one seedling. Once germinated, it will produce two taproots instead of one. If carefully handled, these seedlings can be successfully separated into two plants.

Strangely, one of the two plants will be a normal offspring of both mother and father. The other plant will only be a clone of the mother.

Three-seedling polyembryonic seeds have also been reported.

Despite its interesting biological marker and outcome, there is no real advantage to breeding plants with this trait. No effort has been made thus far to develop a true-breed with these characteristics.”

We also have a number of seedlings with 3 cotyledon leaves.

Bit of an update guys, in regards to the Blue Dream seed.

Of 166 seed dropped, 163 cracked and were put into medium. Some went into trays with seedling soil (56), some in trays with coco (56) and some into solo cups 2/3 full of my reamended well cooked soil with the final 1/3 topped with coco(51)

Results so far:

Solo cups - 45 are up, including the Double Tap twins (more on this later) and 6 yet to show

Trays with coco - 42 up, 14 yet to show

Trays of seedling soil - 13 up, 12 culled and the rest ??? Who knows if they’ll show

So from the this unplanned test, I have decided that I will no longer use seedling soil and use coco instead. I find the seedling soil holds too much water and becomes compacted as it dries and appears more prone to fungal infection of the seeds prior to emergence. Going through the coco pot that the seedling soil was in, some seed just couldn’t be found, some the taps were browning and some had full brown fungus growing around the seed and tap. These are the ones I culled.

Of the 56 that weren’t culled or have popped above grade, the rest may or may not survive. I went through all the soil pots and any seed/sprout that looked salvageable were replace on top of some seedling soil and covered with 1/2” of coco, we’ll see if they make it.

Now for the Double Tap Twins, as per my previous post, the weaker one should be a clone of momma and I very gingerly separated them this morning.

CB972223-8BC9-4C76-B639-C7084750CF72.jpeg

79FE8113-7061-4A30-B3E1-90123ECBCEA7.jpeg

28B19266-FBB4-481E-91F6-78295DF250FF.jpeg

67EC2F57-2CC2-49A9-932E-C148430E2059.jpeg

The one on the right (#2) is the one I would consider a clone of momma. I will be hanging on to these 2 just for curiosity sake :)

I will update more concerning the rest of my grow later today or tomorrow. Still battling gnats in the big tent and found thrips this morning which I may have had all along considering markings on leaves that previously I dismissed as “hmmm whatever, doesn’t seem to be hurting anything”. More on this later.

May your gardens be always green and your medi jars full

Good info on the soil vs coco question for germination.
I’ve also found issues with H2O retention vs dry compaction in soil starters.
Maybe I’ll try the starters in coco sometime. Cheers, Celt :yummy: :cool:

Evening all, as promised, an update on the rest of my grows.

First off, the nursery is over flowing and some had to be put in the living room by the big window

4CA7ECF9-1A43-401C-A002-B283877A7B2B.jpeg

and of the ones in the living room, we have 5 of these little whorled phyllotaxy girls, hope they continue this mutation throughout life

649ACAE2-5196-4E6D-8A0F-0EEA5EF08A83.jpeg

That‘s 2 mutations in this round of seed, twins and 5 of the above girls, maybe see some more before it’s done. Polyploidy would be cool.

The Gorilla Shizzle Auto has been moved into the now empty seed tent under 24hr light for now. I may or may not treat one of her branches for pollen production, still undecided as I have never grown this before. She will be grown out hempy style with Mega Crop, 2 firsts in one plant, could be disastrous lol

772E8C0B-7AA6-468B-86D9-0C4093C16657.jpeg

Now into the big tent with the BD girls, today was day 14 post flip and mostly looking good and stretch pretty much done.

71CF3997-51C8-4413-93D7-5467A90F0B47.jpeg

DE1D5CEB-7E70-4035-BE66-B3A71EAE3927.jpeg

CF1C14A1-6565-4C84-BF44-970C3EBF2409.jpeg

As this week progresses, I will likely strip some more of these lower limbs that are shaded.

As for our squatters, gnats and thrips, they have settled in for the long haul despite my efforts. Thrips was actually a new discovery today but I suspect they have been here for awhile.

As the hydro shop had been closed down for 2 weeks when I made it to the city 2 weeks ago, I didn’t get my perlite as hoped to combat the little buggers. The shop is supposed to be open tomorrow so I will try again.

Aside from the perlite, and because of the discovery today of thrips and the stronghold the gnats have now, I am going full out biological warfare on these little bastards.

I have Mosquito Dunks (Bacillus thuringiensis) with which the pots all got a dose of yesterday and tomorrow they will get a folair spray of it as well. This bacteria kills bugs but is harmless to plants and animals. I have also ordered nematodes that infect the larva and kill the bastards before they mature. And THEN the pots will get perlite topdressing to minimize the ability of adults laying eggs.

Quick note for @Weaselcracker ,

This PC girl has been drying for a few days now and is still way too sticky to breakup looking for seed, almost gummy it’s that sticky. As sticky as her mother was, still a bit in the jar from last Oct and its still sticky when you break it up, this girl I believe is even more so

Today I went to town, as I needed some coco and solo cups for my seedlings, and thought I would pick up some groceries while there. Turns out today is pension day and both Sobeys and Superstore have limits on how many people can be in their stores at one time, mostly because, in general, the populace is not overly bright and too bloody stupid to follow direction.

As I get older, my patience for the general populace is getting less and less, and this C19 is making things worse, no way I am standing in line for an hour because some old girls in the store have to look at everything they pass whether they have any intention of buying it or not.

Today, I realized I am becoming a curmudgeonly old man lol kinda like these guys

8BC86654-C135-4953-9C28-7AF8B71299A0.jpeg

Rant over, back to reading and tending my girls .

Back
Top Bottom