CFL to LED in UK

Clipper Wheel

Hey everyone, new here;
Been following a few led threads and it seems led lights have come on a lot since when I last looked at them some years back.
I need some advice; my flower cab has cfls at the moment that I wish to replace with led light/s to make it more efficient/less hot.

The approx area I have available for installation is; Width = 15" Length = 28" and the Height from floor to bottom of extraction system = 28"

Up to now I'm leaning toward two of these 150w reflector types,
57107.JPG

Although I like to feed the box with plants rotation style, I do like the option of the veg/bloom switches.
Could these be sufficient or would something more powerful be best? I need to keep temps in mind when making a final decision though. Also like the quiet fans as I need to keep noise down as well.

Because I've not got a lot of height(currently) I thought the angle on these might give fairly good exposure up the side walls as well?

I mostly like to top or train plants for multiple tops.
Current stats for my box are approx: Lumens = 16500, Watts = 260, and lights on temps range approx 78-94.

Grateful for any input or suggestions, I'm in the UK.
Thanks!

Temps will definitely improve; I added a couple of centre CFL's to bring the temp up a bit! From my LED it seems like you need to keep them at least 12 inches or more above. Might be a little tight in a 28" space?

Interesting, thanks for the info.
What is the effect of bringing them closer? is it this bleaching thing I've seen mentioned?
As it stands I can grow the tops very close to the cfls and up and around them.

I suppose I could gain several inches of headroom back if I replace my fan/filter etc with something more custom made if the temps are going to be less.

I'll try and get a photo of the box on tomorrow I think that may help.

Much to think on thanks for the reply...

It depends on the lights, but most people find there is a 'sweet spot' and I have read a few journals where the LED's were started too close with poor results. Mine draw 200 watts and 15" seems about right for them. I have also read that the wavelengths from the different diodes require some distance to combine.

Hmm single or double COB lights maybe then. If they don't make too much more heat than others I might look at one of them if the coverage was ok.

If they're narrow enough I might be able to put some in higher up at the front and maybe angle them a bit because my fan and filter don't take up all the room and could be moved toward the back some more.

Or maybe I should use 1w led lights instead of 3w to get them a little closer?
Gonna check more threads, thanks :thumb:

Welcome to 420...:welcome:... One of the spaces I grow in is only 4.5' tall and I have a 5w Mars II in there and it is fine. I have the 3w reflectors in a closet and in a cabinet and there is plenty of room. With the reflectors if you are 12 to 18" IMO you will be fine. If you are growing tall girls you will just have to train them a bit with LST or something of the sorts. I absolutely love my Top Leds and you are more than welcome to check out my journal. I too started out with cfl's and the difference is remarkable and it is all in the journal...........:circle-of-love:

Hmm, definitely leaning to the 150w reflector as an experiment, just the height loss making me hesitate. Have to look at a DIY fan/filter design to regain height I think, although it might still be ok for a while if I can train the plants hard.
I'll have a look through your journal,
Thanks!

Hmm, definitely leaning to the 150w reflector as an experiment, just the height loss making me hesitate. Have to look at a DIY fan/filter design to regain height I think, although it might still be ok for a while if I can train the plants hard.
I'll have a look through your journal,
Thanks!

Defo check her journal out, great info and will help your choice.
Look forward to seeing what your gonna do mate, your diy set up looks impressive and I'm always impressed with what somebody who is handy with tools can do to a grow room!
I had to outsource to get mine done haha

Back
Top Bottom