Cheap LEDs worth it?

Gulfcoastjoker

Now I'm sure there's a hundred threads out there I'm just too stoned to find right now, so I thought I'd ask.
What's everyone's thoughts on the cheap LEDs through places like wish etc?

My lighting budget is limited, the wife isn't ready to invest without knowing I can successfully pull off a couple grows. I'm using CFLs now, the Lowe's home kind, and would like to add something to really get them going without hearing the wife rip me a new one.

Even just links to previous threads will do, or suggestions. I'm open minded.

Thanks again

GC Joker

I bought a growstar 1000 watt from Amazon and have used it on both my grows in a 4 by 4 tent. I was very happy with the amount of dried bud I received. I bought that light for 200 or $250.

Since you're just getting into LED's, do keep in mind that many if not all led lights claim "1000w" EQUIVALENT, its not actually 1000 watts. The actual draw on those is almost always less than 1/2 advertised. Look in the fine details for what the actual wattage draw at the wall is.
How many plants you trying to grow and in what size? For best results you want 50 watts per square foot.

My first and second grows were using 2x Viparspectra 600, each one draws 232w with both switches of veg and bloom, on. So thats 464 watts running in a 4x4 tent with 4 plants and i had decently acceptable results for my first 2 grows :D

If you plan to grow 4 plants, i wouldn't go below 400 watts. The more watts, the more bud growth/density. 50 watts per square foot is whats widely accepted as damn good. 1x vipar spectra v600 goes for 180 on amazon last i checked. They use roughly $20-30 a month in electricity depending on your electric rates and how long you have them on.

Thanks everyone, I figured as much, but thought it didn't hurt to ask if anyone had experience with them.
I looked on Amazon last night and they had thousand watt LED lights that if you actually read the description only pulled 110 Watts from the wall. That is absolutely ridiculous. So be sure to read the fine print on how much it pulls from the wall.

I looked on Amazon last night and they had thousand watt LED lights that if you actually read the description only pulled 110 Watts from the wall. That is absolutely ridiculous. So be sure to read the fine print on how much it pulls from the wall.

That's always where I get confused, and alot of the led pages don't put that information front and center.

I think what I'll end up doing is using cfl for veg for now, and try to get like a 200 watt hps for flower, since I'll only be running one plant at a time through flower for now.

Just for fun I bought a cheap light from wish. Of course like anything on wish they claimed it to be regular price at over $1200. LOL. I got it for $45 shipped. It works but would only be good for cloaning or poping seeds (maybe). They are junk don't waste your time.

I bought a growstar 1000 watt light with separate veg and Bloom switches that pulls 400 watts from the wall and cost me $235. I'm not sure if shipping was on top of that or not. There's a lot to choose from out there. I'm thinking about buying another one that way I could have 800 actual watts of LED light for my next grow.

Now I'm sure there's a hundred threads out there I'm just too stoned to find right now, so I thought I'd ask.
What's everyone's thoughts on the cheap LEDs through places like wish etc?

My lighting budget is limited, the wife isn't ready to invest without knowing I can successfully pull off a couple grows. I'm using CFLs now, the Lowe's home kind, and would like to add something to really get them going without hearing the wife rip me a new one.

Even just links to previous threads will do, or suggestions. I'm open minded.

Thanks again

GC Joker

What size area do you need to cover and what is your budget? 30-40W is a good starting point for the amount of watts per square foot. Figure 50W per square foot for inefficient LEDs like most of the ones you find on Amazon/eBay etc.

Perhaps this article will help in that department: How Many LED Watts Are Required Per Square Foot of Grow Space?

I'd by happy to shoot some recommendations your way depending on your grow area and budget.

What size area do you need to cover and what is your budget? 30-40W is a good starting point for the amount of watts per square foot. Figure 50W per square foot for inefficient LEDs like most of the ones you find on Amazon/eBay etc.

Perhaps this article will help in that department: How Many LED Watts Are Required Per Square Foot of Grow Space?

I'd by happy to shoot some recommendations your way depending on your grow area and budget.
My grow area is roughly 6 square feet, give or take. And my wife's got my light budget at 100 or less till she actually sees some results. She wants to know I can run a full cycle before she goes investing more money into it.

Why don’t you reduce your grow space to 2x2, get one of the above mentioned lights that will be within your designated budget. Then you will be able to grow a single killer plant whose yield will surpass some junk light popcorn and you will wow the Mrs.

Then you get approval of further funds, expand your growspace to its full size and add more light as you go?

That’s how I’d do it.

I use Marshydro 300’s. You can find the older version, which I have 2 of, for about $65 each. I’ve been using two of them in my 2x4x5 tent and they work awesome.

Hey @SmokeSara Can you hook my boy up???

Hi Gulf, your space needs around 240w from the wall in total, and I don't think a less than 100USD light can do that. Might be a little more than that. Otherwise, you cannot guarrantee the quality. :green_heart: And thank you @Sctanley007 for tag me in. :D I hope I could be of some help. :peace:
Our Mars 600 or the Mars ECO 600 all just a little more than 100USD, you can consider. Mars 600 you can buy from ebay, cheapest price, Mars ECO 600 you can buy from ebay, amazon or from our official store: www.mars-hydro.com all at the same price. They are very cost efficient for your space. plus they have ETL certificate as well. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom