Cheapest To Ugliest: Homemade Light

Rhizome

First of all, I want to talk about the first experience.

In the summer of 2020, while I was thinking that this remote work (pandemic) was actually an opportunity for me (as many people think) I was also eating the seeds (something i like) from the last weed I bought. There was only one seed left for me to eat: a fat cute seed. At that moment, the idea arose that I could embark on something that would give some color to my miserable life (Hollywood mode off: it will not result in a miracle. Just like my thoughts on remote work). (Brackets are a savior for my poor english. Or perhaps the beginning of a groundbreaking new literary style.)

We looked at each other for a while with that seed (This is not humorous humanisation. A phenomenological concept called intentionality: Since consciousness is always consciousness of something, it must establish a relationship with the object of which it is conscious.) Anyway, I ordered (three pieces) one of the cheapest (Reasonable for me due to exchange rate differencegrow) lights from China (They had to pay the price of this pandemic). This is exactly what i got:

Screenshot_1.png

Claims to be 100w. No cooler etc. It heats up to the point where it won't melt itself. I succeeded in planting the seed that survived being eaten by me. And luckily she was female. This was my setup:

DSC_0111.JPG
DSC_0115.JPG

You were probably hoping to see baby's first steps. But I couldn't find the photos, sorry. At the top you see the cheapest led light, on the sides the support cfls, the net and a very healthy plant. And of course a desperate micro fan on the left. No active exhaust except one hole. Photos of the advanced stages:

DSC_0032_1.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

As you can imagine, she died from the heat as hell:

DSC_0172.JPG

Thinking about how to solve the heat problem, I developed something like this:

20220216_225055.jpg

20220216_225111.jpg

I combined two lights into one panel. I made this using parts from a computer case a friend gave me. I glued the heatsink with thermal paste and mounted the fan on it. At the top there is a fan used in the toilets. The switch only serves to light up one or two panels. And of course I also added a toilet fan instead of the micro fan:
20220216_225131.jpg

I also used the led's reflectors for the cfl lights:
20220216_225125.jpg

I can simply buy a useful grow light (I am not that poor). I'm a geek who likes to mess around. I have new seeds to try this setup. Check this out: 18 month old seeds

Do you think I can succeed with this?

I fabricobled many a grow setups in my youth. 30 years ago I had the space and finances to build my first dedicated, climate controlled, grow room with real grow lights. In 2020 I went to pick up a new MH bulb and came home with 9CFL, 9 sockets for flower and a T8 fixture for veg. I missed the experimentation and the challenge of a tight budget. My company had made more profit in 4 months than I had in any previous full year. Money wasn't the issue.

The $.50 CFLs were "upgraded" after I broke a few, to LEDs because I found them for $1 each. I averaged a 20% loss in yield but the grow time remained the same as real grow lights. The 9 100wat equivalent light fixture pulled 112W at the plug. The MH and exhaust fan for it pulled just under 500W. So 75% less power for 20% less yield. As for quality. My profile pic is a 3200K DIY CFL Lambs bread. They can make frosty buds.

I did a journal with my old DIY light. Currently running a journal comparing it to a $60 107W draw viparspectra P1000. Experimenting is fun and the only way to truly learn.

Back
Top Bottom