Chef De Green Does It All: Reveg, Clones, Autos & Photos

So let’s do an update.

I hate to say it, but I won’t be able to take any more stand alone pictures of each plant. The two big Cookies n Chem plants are tethered where they are more or less. I haven’t even been taking any plants out to water. I just water them where they are. I give them enough water so they’re fully saturated and the drip tray is full. They usually suck up all the extra by lights off. I figure it’s safer this way, I don’t want to break off a branch now while moving them around. The next stand alone pictures you all see will be harvest day.

Update Flower Tent Day 41 (Flip+49)
Things are chugging right along here. The CnC plants are starting to build some bud density which is nice. It’s my third run of this strain, but only my second run of these phenotypes. I really like how the two girls in the corner are shaping up, they’re looking better than their mom did around this time. The NL still has mostly white pistils, but she definitely has some orange as well. I’d say maybe 25% orange. She’s just getting fatter by the day. I’ve started to back off the strength of the feed a bit for my MC girls. The 3 CnCs are getting 6.5g/gal, and the NL is down to 8g/gal. I figure with the light being a bit less strong, they’ll need to ease into a lower EC.

Northern Lights

Star Pupil

Cookies n Chem

Before I finish up here and do the family shot, I’d like to address the light experiment we’ve been discussing... I’ve decided that I will be moving forward with the experiment. Day 42 will be the last 12 hour day for at least 1 week, potentially 2. Should be interesting!

Thats it from the flower tent.

So if not a 12 day of light what will it be? Shorter day?
Longer. I’m going to break the week into 5 days only. Day light hours will last 21 hrs and 36 min. im trying to make them grow faster while maturing slower. It might add a couple of days to the total flower time, but that’s okay.

Let's see if I can explain it. Start by forgetting a day has 24hrs.

A 'day' is now 33hrs 36 minutes long. There are 21hrs 36 minutes of 'daylight' and 12 hrs of darkness each day.
A week is now five 'days' by this schedule. The five 'days' of 33hrs 36 minutes matches seven of our normal days. (5 X 33hrs 36 minutes = 168hrs = 7 x 24 hrs).

A digital timer, or seven day mechanical timer is needed to implement this schedule. It provides 108 hrs of light and 60 hrs of darkness, while a normal seven day per week schedule provides 84 hrs of light and 84 hrs of darkness for the plants.

I’m hoping for extra bud growth. With 12 hour dark periods the plants shouldn’t try to reveg.

All of these genetics are quite stable I’m pretty sure. I shouldnt experience hermies... I am taking a leap of faith for science.. the article said not to be afraid, so I’m not.

Some thing I have been wondering is outside the day light hours change slowly but when we flip we do it all at once. Wouldn't be better to change the time slowly instead of changing for 18/6 or 16/8 to 12 hours all at once. Has anyone tried changing the time slowly over the whole grow and why don't we do it that way to imitate what mother nature does

Some thing I have been wondering is outside the day light hours change slowly but when we flip we do it all at once. Wouldn't be better to change the time slowly instead of changing for 18/6 or 16/8 to 12 hours all at once. Has anyone tried changing the time slowly over the whole grow and why don't we do it that way to imitate what mother nature does

I ramped down the lights over a seven day period for my first grow. I didn't notice any difference between that and the sudden changes. I stayed with the sudden change as I'm lazy.

I guess if it makes no difference it is easier to just switch them all at once and be done with messing with timers and I guess it would save on the electric bill too

because it adds days to the transition... the opposite as to what I wanted to happen. I have found benefit at the end to ramp down the lights a bit though.

because it adds days to the transition... the opposite as to what I wanted to happen. I have found benefit at the end to ramp down the lights a bit though.
This is part of the reason I’m not too worried about doing my 21hr days. I just removed one of the panels, so a lot of the extra light they’re getting is just making up for the other panel being gone.

edit: I was starting to see signs of light stress, so I think doing longer periods of lower light should have a positive effect.

I guess if it makes no difference it is easier to just switch them all at once and be done with messing with timers and I guess it would save on the electric bill too
Yeah, as indoor growers we end up just vegging our plants to exactly the size we want them to flower. So for us, it’s better that the transition period be initiated as quickly as possible. It’s harder to gage how big your plants will stretch if you give them a gradual change to 12/12.

Those periods of 13/11-17/7 are going to affect the growth rate of the plant. You’ll probably end up with a bigger plant than you anticipated.

Before I finish up here and do the family shot, I’d like to address the light experiment we’ve been discussing... I’ve decided that I will be moving forward with the experiment. Day 42 will be the last 12 hour day for at least 1 week, potentially 2. Should be interesting!
Sorry that I didn't reply earlier. I just don't understand enough about light shift to get fatter flowers. I know that BID suggested firmly before he died to play with light schedules but I didn't understand all of his concepts either. Best of luck. Watch closely for the nanners.

Alright everybody,
I need to hear you all’s opinions on something. We were having a discussion over in @PCaddict ’s thread about this article I found. The article talks about doing a modified photoperiod during week 6 or 7 of flower. I’ve gone back and forth on whether or not I want to give it a try.. so I’m asking everyone who’s keeping an eye on my thread to weigh in here.

here’s the article:
Modified photoperiod

when you’ve got the time, I’d like for you all to read that and voice whether you’d like to see me try it, or not. @Old Salt @beez0404 @MagicJim @Pennywise @780grow @ilikemsticky @stoneotter @carcass @MrSauga @Emilya @DrCannaCanadian @GreenGenez
@Reave

Hey @ChefDGreen, that was an interesting article and I put my thoughts here:

00_MedicalCannabisResearch.png Article: How do I manipulate the photo period for larger yields?

Have fun :)

Okay so I’ve looked around quite a bit at other forums and such, and I’ve seen plenty of people who have read the article. What I’m not seeing, is anyone at all who has tried it. So as it may be a risk, I have to do it for science. We can either put this one to bed, or decide it’s worth a closer look.... maybe it’s a hidden gem no one has had the sand to try.

Sorry that I didn't reply earlier. I just don't understand enough about light shift to get fatter flowers. I know that BID suggested firmly before he died to play with light schedules but I didn't understand all of his concepts either. Best of luck. Watch closely for the nanners.
Hey Jim,
Basically the hypothesis is:
using this light schedule, the plants metabolism will greatly increase. The rate at which the plants mature will slow.. but if you only use this schedule during late flower, the added time is negligible.
Cookies n Chem is sort of the control.. I’m most familiar with how she bulks up.

Back
Top Bottom