Cobwebbing Mold Vs. Mycelium Growth And Other Mold Examples

Can anyone identify the Pink mold/bacteria in the photo?

Pink Mold or Bacteria.jpg

Trichoderma Mould (green mould)

A mushroom grower's enemy #1 - Trichoderma is a genus of fungi which contains over 80 accepted species. Trichoderma mould is usually green in colour, ranging from an olive to emerald green. It is present in all soils and is the most common contaminant found in mushroom growing.

Have you ever found mould on your onions or your bread when the weather gets warm and humid? That's Trichoderma.

It's fast growing and likes temperatures between 25-30 degrees Celcius so you'll more often encounter it in summer and it can take a hold before your mushrooms have had a chance to grow.

Ranges in colour from pale green, olive and dark emerald green. It can also appear yellow and usually has a white leading edge and green centre.

This was forming on a substrate here, I tossed it immediately and cleaned up the area.

Green and Yellow Mold.jpg

That's definitely cobb webb no doubt, maybe pink bread mold/bacteria mixed in with it. I've never experienced pink mold/bacteria, the worst I have had from a bad syringe is aspergillus flavus, and DO not open up contaminated jars in your house and don't throw it for the critters to eat. It will harm them (at least asper flavus will). Never open up ANY bad jars indoors, outside only and do the right thing and be safe. Same with contaminated subs with trich, if you can catch it fast enough before it's green is the best. Waiting only drops spores everywhere and that can be a catastrophe.

Back
Top Bottom