Coco overwatering despite advice

sorry... I don't understand coco or how to use it properly. Im sure that someone experienced in using the stuff will be much better able to answer your questions. Maybe its not magnesium... maybe bugs instead?
I have checked the medium and there are no crawlers. No flying fungus gnats . No evidence of any bugs.
And still no closer to working out how exactly the same symptoms I had in soil are now occurring in coco.

So you think the fact that the coco is staying wet too long and suffocating the roots from air is locking out the nutes or what? It's the only thing i can think of coz everything else is within range
Yes , I wouldn't water as much down the stem , i would do a ring around the plant about 3 inch out but let this dry a little first , i never watered every day until the plant was a lot bigger ,

Yes , I wouldn't water as much down the stem , i would do a ring around the plant about 3 inch out but let this dry a little first , i never watered every day until the plant was a lot bigger ,
So when the medium dries out I could expect the deficiency to disappear if I water further out from the stem once it dries up a fair bit . At the moment growth has just literally come to a stand still. Last two days has been just no changes except for the showing of bronze spotting

Also they are doing good for 9 days , your not too far off , these are good ,so far your doing great

Magnesium deficiencies can be caused by overwatering

Do the pots feel like there is a bit of weight from water . You just want the medium to dry a bit , takes a little getting used to , you get to know the weights ,

i will find my book , i did a journal on a book if i find it ill upload to your thread , you will be surprised how little i feed :laugh:

my last coco/perlite auto . never fed daily , its the nutrient companies that love this info being spread :)

i have few things to do today so will be later < you will do ok , never fear :thumb:

P1160680.JPG

Also they are doing good for 9 days , your not too far off , these are good ,so far your doing great

Magnesium deficiencies can be caused by overwatering

Do the pots feel like there is a bit of weight from water . You just want the medium to dry a bit , takes a little getting used to , you get to know the weights ,
So it's most likely magnesium deficiency by the sounds of it as @Emilya also mentioned earlier.
Thanks for the boost of confidence by saying they are looking good.means a lot.
Just wish I could have a trouble free run. Since I've taken growing indoors (whether it be soil or now coco)I've had nothing but trouble and I think it's mostly because the pots don't dry out as fast compared to plants growing In direct sunlight and wind. It's something I really need to dial in or I'm never going to nail this indoor growing and always end up with smaller plants because of stunting issues caused by the overwatering. Everything I read prior to growing In coco said go for gold with the watering because straight coco apparently holds 22% oxygen even when fully saturated. Now that I have actually started a coco grow and have run into overwatering issues I beg to differ on the 22% oxygen claims.

Really is hard to over water in coco.I feel its the large pots you have that are giving you the problems.Its so much
easier to judge in small pots and get the run off i like when you have small ladies. Next time i would up pot at least once and never straight coco i use a 60/40 mix with clay pebbles or as said a 70/30 for my seddlings.Understand people say autos put right in finishing pots but i never have and never will much easier to build a nice healthy roots system in a smaller pot.To start her of right. I agree with Emilya in the deficiency and i also think your way of hurting them.They still look good its going to take a few days for things to get back on track dont think u watering right for a few days is going to get you results that fast give them 5 days.

If you just look at the canna website , they even say let dry 50%

Yeah I'm going to have to give it atleast another 2 days after today before I feed again because I flushed the coco with ph 'd water yesterday and then refreshed the nutes after flushing because I have been feeding quarter strength nutes for 10days now with zero run off . Thought salts might have been building up n didn't want burn or lockout to occur . So the post are well wet from that so I will give it atleast a few more days before I water again

Really is hard to over water in coco.I feel its the large pots you have that are giving you the problems.Its so much
easier to judge in small pots and get the run off i like when you have small ladies. Next time i would up pot at least once and never straight coco i use a 60/40 mix with clay pebbles or as said a 70/30 for my seddlings.Understand people say autos put right in finishing pots but i never have and never will much easier to build a nice healthy roots system in a smaller pot.To start her of right. I agree with Emilya in the deficiency and i also think your way of hurting them.They still look good its going to take a few days for things to get back on track dont think u watering right for a few days is going to get you results that fast give them 5 days.
Yeah next time I am going to do a mix of hydroton clayballs also . Because I have about 70 Litres of them sitting in my shed but didn't think I needed it from all the crap I'd read around the place about now coco is just so fabulous for its air capacity even without mixing clay or perlite.
Looks like I'm learning more and more as I go as experience beats most advice you can get anywhere.
Apart from the advice I get from a few of you. Seems to be fairly spot on with my loyal helpers

with growing in pure coco sometimes its best to filter out the very small paritcles , They can compact the bottom of the pot , this is why its good to use perlite for the extra air pockets , the coco becomes dense after a certain amount of time , just like heavy watering soil from the top , it can also compact the bottom of the pot and this is where the biggest problem lays , stagnant water can lay here and cause all sorts of problems ,
Once you let this dry out some you will see the leaves point up praying :)

Coco is really a forgiving media and great to work with.When you find issues you can normally fix them before things
get to bad unlike other types of media.Its just about finding what works for you.Grow room conditions play a part in
feeds strains i could go on.What works for me water wise might kill your ladies.Took me a few grows to get dialed in
coming from soil and taking in all the info about.But like you said u learn from making mistakes and coco is the best
media to make a mistake in. :)

Guys I think I'm going to rip them all out and start again .
Flush the medium , let it dry mostly , buy one more 50L bag of canna coco plus, use some 1.5Gal pots I have here for first few weeks and then up pot to the 23L once I have a root ball. I can't stand seeing yields demimish every day that they are just sitting here doing nothing. It's just going to be a waste of another 70days if I continue

Back
Top Bottom