COGrows 400W HPS - Soil - Blue Plant Nutrients

Ah, that would make sense. I just had read that many people put the plants in a day or so of darkness to transition to flowering. Does this make any sense to you guys?

I've seen topics on it but never tried myself, i just stick to the oldskool method of switching my veg light cycle to 12/12 on the day i'm ready to flower...

But i have seen first hand what no light does to plants over a 2wk period and a slight yellowing on the new growth is common in the first couple of days, as the plants start to feed off the food they stored during the light cycle and deteriorate the longer the lights are off.

I've seen topics on it but never tried myself, i just stick to the oldskool method of switching my veg light cycle to 12/12 on the day i'm ready to flower...

But i have seen first hand what no light does to plants over a 2wk period and a slight yellowing on the new growth is common in the first couple of days, as the plants start to feed off the food they stored during the light cycle and deteriorate the longer the lights are off.

I need to keep thinking k.i.s.s. It was my plan from the beginning, but as the grow went on I slowly started adding/changing stuff in regards to the environment.

Back to the tried and true I guess. Well, I'm trying to make my own tried and true and that long period of darkness probably won't be included haha.

Alright, well, I need a little input in regards to my pH. The plants look good and over the last week I've been checking it more.

The runoff was about 5.5 and 5.6 on my two plants last water w/nutrients, with the water going in at 6.5 and 6.7 respectively. So, next time should I have my water/nutrients going in at 7, and keep raising it slowly by .5 until I'm in my 6.2 to 6.7 range for runoff?

Should I be amending something to my promix to raise my pH?

Just fyi I'm using promix and RO water with cal mag and I just started the second week of flowering.

So you must have a digital ph meter.. id say try 7 do the math see how much the runnoff fluxed from. 6.5 than you can find how much u needto raise your water work smarter not harder and my plants are far along haven't budded yet I'm upset suppose to be auto afraid my plants may have gotten stunted bad :(

Well, updates are starting to space out, it's a lot harder to notice any changes now, but hopefully you like how they're going. I've been working the pH more, and got one up to 6 and one is at about 5.8, but everything looks pretty good on both of them. The left one was behind from germination, but it got transplanted pretty close to the switch and really hasn't filled out as much.

They are in day 12 of flower.

Anyway, here they are. First, the big one alone. It's about 22 inches tall and the canopy is about 28 inches across:
IMG_112013.JPG

Side view of the same one:
IMG_112313.JPG

And, both of them together:
IMG_112214.JPG

Looking good, reminds me alot of my first grow.

Try to taking ur pictures with the HPS off my friend because it makes others get a better idea of how the plants look and pics look better IMO ... just a thought!

Too much work! I have no space to work with and I have a shitty camera... (obviously I know this, can't you see how I DO take some without the HPS if I want detail? I just want to show size and took a picture in 5 seconds).

I just want to show you guys the size, not have a photoshoot every day like some people do.

Plants look great man.. mine are loooking good just not flowering I have a bulb on the way to add some lumens to my room for flowering another 105 watt cfl!!! Yes!!

Too much work! I have no space to work with and I have a shitty camera... (obviously I know this, can't you see how I DO take some without the HPS if I want detail? I just want to show size and took a picture in 5 seconds).

I just want to show you guys the size, not have a photoshoot every day like some people do.

I hear u and didn't mean to sound like i'm not enjoying your journal because i think its really good :thumb: and can't wait to see the end results...

Ive seen the pics you took without the hps on so know you do them.

Anyway those girls are looking huge 22" :yikes: I got a lil something nearing the end of flower now and there only 25" So your gonna have a monster for sure :goodjob:

My first grow i only ended up with two plants in the tent one big and small, ended up getting 8 oz's using a 400w but think you'll do a lil better for sure!!!

I hear u and didn't mean to sound like i'm not enjoying your journal because i think its really good :thumb: and can't wait to see the end results...

Ive seen the pics you took without the hps on so know you do them.

Anyway those girls are looking huge 22" :yikes: I got a lil something nearing the end of flower now and there only 25" So your gonna have a monster for sure :goodjob:

My first grow i only ended up with two plants in the tent one big and small, ended up getting 8 oz's using a 400w but think you'll do a lil better for sure!!!
No, it's all good man I just woke up when I posted earlier. Sorry if I came off rude as well.

And yeah, the one that is larger is... huuuuuge. I flowered it at about 13" tall and know in the future I'm going to cut off a week of veg time at least. I guess it just takes once to realize exactly how BIG 22" actually is.

I topped that one at least 3 different times and tied it down to where I have about 15 different tops, with an amazing amount of bud sites just below them in the canopy. I know I need to thin that thing out once the stretch is done, that's for sure. Day 21 or so?

One thing I didn't do all that much of was removing the smaller/lower growth that never has the chance of reaching light. I'm curious as to when I can do this? I did it a little during veg as an experiment, but it didn't have the effect I wanted.

Should/could it be done during flower? If so, should I just do it at about the 21st and 45th day? I plan to defoliate a little, not sure how much though. Probably moreso a trim than defoliating.

What are some of your guys' methods for trimming up the lower growth to encourage the development of other bud sites closer to the light? When? How? Where? Etc...

I was just reading about trimming the fan leaves yesterday I'm not sure when but :peace:when u do make sure you do them at the same time not a few leaves at a tiime on diifferent days, but also be wary they also said those leaves will save your plant from mistakes.. taking the beating rather than budsites and or the whole plant, id just do some research on trimming fan leaves.. good luck man!!

And for your next grow id encourage you to try some LSTing, scrog I heard is great I'm trying that you basically put chicken wire about 15 in above your grow site and when the plant grows through a few inches pull the plant back under the wire and repeat till the bud sites are just at the top of the screen leaving the leavy canopy below and all. The bud sites at the exact same height receiving the same amout of light.. research is your best friend!!

Yeah, well I want to try to trim SOME leaves because it's such a dense forest a few inches below the canopy that nothing will get light. I don't want to trim my plants naked, just free up some area to let light through. And, I definitely know that the fan leaves will save me, as they use the resources in the fans if they're lacking, but even now my fan leaves are all great (on the one I want to trim lol).

As for LSTing, I definitely did a lot of it (tieing down, etc...) I also did some HSTing such as topping. I didn't do a scrog this time because I had males and females, effectively I would have had a tangled mess, making it hard to remove the males. After that, I only have two plants so I'm just training them on my own. Also, I wouldn't be able to remove my plants from the grow area to water and measure runoff. I have no way to catch the runoff effectively unless I take them out.

If you have better solutions to my little problems, let me know! I know I can get a tray for runoff, but then I need to remove the water from the tray. Same problem...

And, my large female has no filled out the pot entirely and is needing watered about every other day now. Last night she got nutrients and water, I put it in at about a pH of 8 and it still came out at 6. The watering before that I put in pH 7.4 water and it came out to 6 as well. Just keep doing what I'm doing, adding pH up to my water/nutes, until I reach a runoff of about 6.5?

But, anyone else have advice on when you would do some trimming? Just wait until day 21 and trim a few fans off to allow more light through?

Yeah, well I want to try to trim SOME leaves because it's such a dense forest a few inches below the canopy that nothing will get light. I don't want to trim my plants naked, just free up some area to let light through. And, I definitely know that the fan leaves will save me, as they use the resources in the fans if they're lacking, but even now my fan leaves are all great (on the one I want to trim lol).

As for LSTing, I definitely did a lot of it (tieing down, etc...) I also did some HSTing such as topping. I didn't do a scrog this time because I had males and females, effectively I would have had a tangled mess, making it hard to remove the males. After that, I only have two plants so I'm just training them on my own. Also, I wouldn't be able to remove my plants from the grow area to water and measure runoff. I have no way to catch the runoff effectively unless I take them out.

If you have better solutions to my little problems, let me know! I know I can get a tray for runoff, but then I need to remove the water from the tray. Same problem...
Put a catch tray under your plant than use a turkey baster to collect the runoff.
And, my large female has no filled out the pot entirely and is needing watered about every other day now. Last night she got nutrients and water, I put it in at about a pH of 8 and it still came out at 6. The watering before that I put in pH 7.4 water and it came out to 6 as well. Just keep doing what I'm doing, adding pH up to my water/nutes, until I reach a runoff of about 6.5?
Do a search on garden lime.

But, anyone else have advice on when you would do some trimming? Just wait until day 21 and trim a few fans off to allow more light through?

Do a search on lollipopping

Do a search on lollipopping

Turkey baster, GENIUS! aha, I was imagining doing it with a 2 tsp syringe 10ml at a time...

As far as the lime for the soil, I read about using it... sprinkle and work into the top of soil. Water. But, as I read more, the promix is supposed to have it as well? Once it is saturated it is active to balance the pH? So, even if it is or isn't, would it still be acceptable to add some [more?] dolomite lime to it?

And thanks for lollipopping, I knew there was a term for removing the lower growth!

Much appreciated HMG, you've been nothing but the best!

Edit: So, after reading more about lollipopping, I should have done it before flower. Will I achieve the same effects if I do it at about 3-4 weeks into flower?

Your plants are elvated correct? Id get a tray and slant it, drill a hole for a drain on the lower side and get a bucket for easy removal and you can bring your water anywhere you need for any test needed.. and ahh I forgot you had male and females when u order seeds u get fem everytime heard scrog is gret heard of ppl getting a pund per plant on scrog being all grow sites get great light..

Your plants are elvated correct? Id get a tray and slant it, drill a hole for a drain on the lower side and get a bucket for easy removal and you can bring your water anywhere you need for any test needed.. and ahh I forgot you had male and females when u order seeds u get fem everytime heard scrog is gret heard of ppl getting a pund per plant on scrog being all grow sites get great light..

I have the small one elevated about 8 inches and I have a bowl that will fit under it perfectly, but that one is so small I can just take it out and water it, without any problems. The other one weighs damn near 50 pounds I think.

You have a good idea with a tray and a hole. Great way to direct the runoff after it has run off.

And yeah, my seeds were regulars. My friend bought me them and ordered regulars. Probably not the BEST genetics, but it's much better than some bagseed I know nothing about.

Next time I will have 3 different plants, one Skywalker OG and two NYCDiesel that came out of some of the best dispensary bud I've ever seen. Anyone from denver been to the Clinic? Best place EVER. I value these seeds so much and I cannot wait to grow them. I've seen some of their genetics sprout and veg a little and compared to how mine grew, theirs were on steroids. Can't wait. Shouldn't have to worry about males then.

Well, a little update. Took some without the HPS, and they just look terrible haha. But here they are. The non-HPS photos are from yesterday and the HPS photos are from today.

IMG_112811.JPG

IMG_112610.JPG

IMG_112717.JPG

And the ones from today. Bud shot is a different one than above, but they're both from the big plant.
IMG_1132_1_.JPG

IMG_1131_1_.JPG

Going to water the big one tonight sometime.

A question, should my plants be secreting fluids? I find drops of water or wet leaves when I'm fingering through the plants looking around. I usually feel them first. The weird thing is I hadn't had anything water related near the grow room since Friday. So a couple whole days so spilling and such are out of the question. RH was 55%. Any ideas? I felt around the tent and nothing wet, and I wasn't sweating or wet in any way...

Well, let me know what you guys think. Day 15 of flower out of 42 to 63 days.

Back
Top Bottom