Colorfuldayze Aug-Dec 2014 Auto Grow

Thank you for the Winter Solstice wishes... I hope they come full circle :cheesygrinsmiley:

You are most welcome Buck and likewise sir! :thanks:

Hey there colorful,
Great to see you got your own journal cranking along and even nicer to see its a beautiful jungle of buds and your collecting plenty of seeds :thumb:
Look forward to seeing all of your work mate
And happy winter solstice its a summer solstice for us so lights getting shorter and flowering is shall start setting in on our outdoor girls soon! :)
Hope things are going well mate and happy holidays/christmas!!

Hi SirBudlovski. Thank you for your kind words. It was an awesome realization yesterday after I wished all a happy 'winter' solstice that indeed all of you are 180 degrees of our season. How small our world becomes when I remember these things. Thoughts of outside flowers coming on just makes my Monday so thank you Sir Bud. Sincere thank you for your well wishes and I also wish happy holidays to you and your family as well Sir. All the best to you!

:Namaste: :thanks:

Beautiful photo! Perfect composition. U play guitar?
Happy holidays 2 u and the Family.

Hi Ranger and :thanks:. I've played bluegrass mandolin since very young but also picked up the gee-tar somewhere along the way. Thank you for the holiday wishes and I wish you the same sir. All the best Ranger. Cheers!!

:rollit: :high-five:

Happy Munchday Colorful:)......thought i would stop in and see whats new......man i hate when i dump a pot in my room:)lol...glad you got it sorted:)......whats the temps there during you warm months?
Hi GD Ty and likewise sir :) I guess dumping soil is no big deal compared to something like a reservoir overflowing but I'm a neat geek - oh well $(-)!t happens :)

Our summer temps vary greatly depending on El Niño or Nina but it's usually cool and wet - average 55-65 and 20+ daylight hours. It will take a greenhouse but the potentials should be really good! Cannot wait!
All the best GD and love ur new avatar!

hey guys just a quick question, I have 4 autos under a 150 watt HPS light with 2 55watt CFL both full spectrum lighting in DWC. 2 autos are almost 7 weeks old and have shown preflowers for about 2 1/2 weeks but i have not seen any further development other than height increase. i switched to bloom nutrients 10 days ago. i have read online that since they r so old and just now starting to flower that i might need to force flower them with 12/12 light schedule because the particular pheno type might have a photoperiod characteristic..... does this make sense to any of you guys?
--- i read keep the autos on 12/12 for about 2 weeks then u can switch back to 18/6 or 20/4 when there has been noticable bud development...... then other places ive read that i should just wait it out as they could take up to 12 weeks to finish...

can anyone make any recommendations pleasee? i am getting worried

hey guys just a quick question, I have 4 autos under a 150 watt HPS light with 2 55watt CFL both full spectrum lighting in DWC. 2 autos are almost 7 weeks old and have shown preflowers for about 2 1/2 weeks but i have not seen any further development other than height increase. i switched to bloom nutrients 10 days ago. i have read online that since they r so old and just now starting to flower that i might need to force flower them with 12/12 light schedule because the particular pheno type might have a photoperiod characteristic..... does this make sense to any of you guys?
--- i read keep the autos on 12/12 for about 2 weeks then u can switch back to 18/6 or 20/4 when there has been noticable bud development...... then other places ive read that i should just wait it out as they could take up to 12 weeks to finish...
can anyone make any recommendations pleasee? i am getting worried

:Namaste: rcoch. Thank you for visiting my journal and welcome. You raise a subject aboutautoflowering strains that is very near and dear to my heart. I wasactually going to include a discussion about it in one of my next posts;about how managing the light cycle needs for myauto-flowering strain in my own previous and currentgrows have been a challenge and often frustrating.

First, I would just like to acknowledge what a wonderful community 420is. I have met so many wonderful individuals here who all share onepowerful trait in common, and that is we are passionate about cannabis as muchas we are about all of the people's lives it touches.

I would like to mention that I noticed that you simultaneously pasted thequestion in your post to 3 or 4 other members journals, several of whom havealready visited my journal, and it happens that I am also followingtheirs. I also would just like to note that the wording/phrasing youused in your post was a general shout out to everyone on someone else'sjournal. Please know that I am not in any way offended by your post, and that Ialso would have given you all of the knowledge I have regardless withoutmentioning this - just because - if it involves promoting cannabisawareness, the successful production of clean medicine, or just helpingsomeone, I'm there to volunteer whatever I can do. Please also knowthat this is exactly the same perspective of the vast majority of membershere. It is considered etiquette to respect that a member's journal istheir personal place for sharing instead of a place for others to randomly ask questionsor assistance from the community. Every member who has alreadyvisited this journal has already answered questions and inquiries of myown which I previously asked in their journals. The difference in my approachwas that I introduced myself, identified my interest in their efforts, and whyI thought their knowledge and experience might be beneficial to me. Ihave never once received a negative reply nor have I ever been ignored. Posting random requests for information or assistance in numerous journalsat once, especially when one is a newer member (as am I) could beperceived by many as disrespectful and only as taking and not sharing.

That said, I welcome you with enthusiasm to my journal rcoch, and am excited toshare some thoughts with you regarding my journey with managing the lightcycles with my specific auto strain. I just need to go take a quick breakto welcome my wonderful wife home, let out the furry pawed friends, and gopower up my grow room. To be continued sir and until then, all the bestto you! Cheers

:Namaste: :welcome:

colorfuldayze, All that is true but also rcoch915 you are doing yourself a disservice by not posting in the proper forum, which would be the Frequently Asked Questions: Frequently Asked Questions You are almost assured to get multiple answers from experienced growers in that forum! Good Luck and again, :welcome: :Namaste:

Morning Colorful:):love: i like your post to rcoch:)......very respectible....i seen his post on someones journal yesterday and answered him but i dont remember whos journal it was:)lol....that is par for the course though:).....anyway i can see where some members may take offense to how he jumped in as a noob and didnt introduce himself.....me personally wouldnt take offense, but that stuff kind of rolls off my back anyhow, but kudos for explaining journal to him:)......i am sure he is in a panick situation and probably doesnt realize how he worded it so when or if he already has read your post it will enlighten him....hopefully he gets his plants and light sorted.....any way....have a great day my friend:)

GD, I felt the same... think Colorfuldayze handled it very well. It's quite rude to crash someone's journal that way but we have to remember that new people who haven't gotten their feet wet yet probably don't mean any disrespect or anything. If you run into rcoch915 again, maybe we can suggest that he post on the "introduce yourself" thread first! He never got to see the links I try to share with all of the new comers or learn about proper etiquette that we use here. So, to colorfuldayze, I say :goodjob: :bravo: To rcoch915 I say.. no harm, no foul brother... come to the intro thread so we can all get to know you better! :Namaste:

Morning Colorful:):love: i like your post to rcoch:)......very respectible....i seen his post on someones journal yesterday and answered him but i dont remember whos journal it was:)lol....that is par for the course though:).....anyway i can see where some members may take offense to how he jumped in as a noob and didnt introduce himself.....me personally wouldnt take offense, but that stuff kind of rolls off my back anyhow, but kudos for explaining journal to him:)......i am sure he is in a panick situation and probably doesnt realize how he worded it so when or if he already has read your post it will enlighten him....hopefully he gets his plants and light sorted.....any way....have a great day my friend:)

Well said Green Dreamz and Beateo and thank you both for your kind words. I feel exactly the same way.

rcoch915, I truly did mean to add another post last night about my light schedule experience with my auto strain but just ran out of steam.
What I have learned in 7 generations of growing my specific auto strain is that it is not a turnkey 24-hr lights on through finish strain. From what I have read here, there are indeed a few auto varieties which appear to grow well under this longer day schedule, however, mine definitely does not and from what I've researched and learned from many other members here, many of the strains they are growing don't either.

I have always previously grown my strain from seedling to flower expression (generally about 35-40 days) under cfl tubes and then moved the females and male plant(s) I'm going to use for pollen under my 400W HPS for the remainder of their lives through harvest. Under the cfl tubes I have run the lights 24/0. Upon moving under the HPS I drop it to 20/4 and then 18/6 the first couple of weeks while early flowering is getting well under way (the second post and series of pictures in my journal). You can check out my first posting on 11-11-14 in the New Members Introduction section. The posting of the picture series was day 80. I note the similar frustration with the lighting and plant response-flowering that you mentioned.
Greetings 420 Community

So this time I thought I'd light scientist the show up...and wish I hadn't. I went from 24/0 the first 42 days to 20/4 and then 18/6 at day 42-65ish. The plants were slowly making flowers and budding nodes and stretching, but I started to get worried (and this is where you want to always step back, smoke it if you've got it, and remind oneself to be patient). I was getting worried that I was seeing all stretch and not 'enough' bud filling. So, my light scientist mojo attempt (my ego+fear+impatience = panic mode) convinced me to drop the light cycle to 12/12. The plants actually reacted well to the 12/12 but then I should have stuck with it. The pictures in the link post above were at day 79/80 and had been under 12/12 for about two weeks. I had seen a very positive response in the plants from this but still wasn't getting that explosion of bud fill. So, once more, I in my impatience switched the lights from 12/12 went back to 18/6.
That is where I went WRONG! :)

Many of my plants developed hermies due to this and responded with deformations and outright stalled. So I'm babbling and I do need to run off to work. I will definitely continue this discussion further, and welcome all to chime in but in summary this grow has been a tremendous learning experience because with help from so many members and my own observations, I think I may have stumbled upon the holy grail for my auto strain.

My auto strain prefers to be treated like a photogenic strain more and more gradually starting with the first expression of flower/sex all the way up through maturity. In my next grow, I will try 24/0 under cfs up through flower expression (and want to experiment with moving them to the HPS even sooner but one thing at a time), then 18/6 through stretch and then when that slows, 12/12 to finish. The photos in the intro link above were the healthiest my plants have ever been and I believe that had I stuck with 12/12 after that I would not only be finished harvesting already but I would have possibly 30+% more quality bud. I blew right past what I have learned to be - IMHO - the most important stage of this strain. I got impatient, panicked and tried to do to much, however, I learned tremendously from it.

Please keep in mind that this experience is specific exclusively to my own hybrid auto strain and as I mentioned, from what I've learned every auto strain is unique - no different than the photo strains.

If I haven't completely run you off and/or bored you yet, I truly hope you can use some or any of this info to aid you in deciding what to do for your plants. Best wishes and a kind day to all!

:Namaste: :rollit:

colorfuldayze, In another few weeks I'll be finished with this grow and starting my next.... it's going to include some AK-49 autos. I'll be hoping for advice from you at that point for my first go at autos! :) :Namaste:

Also, I'm very much hoping that rcoch915 understands that our only wish is to be helpful. :peace:

i really appreciate all that helpful info everybody. once again i defniitely will try to abide by the eticate mentioned before and completely agree that without this network alot of people would be up s**t creek without a paddle for sure. thanks again.

colorfuldayze, In another few weeks I'll be finished with this grow and starting my next.... it's going to include some AK-49 autos. I'll be hoping for advice from you at that point for my first go at autos! :) :Namaste:

Also, I'm very much hoping that rcoch915 understands that our only wish is to be helpful. :peace:

Hey B! Nice strain selection - I'm looking forward to your next grow and still excited to see what is looking like a choice harvest from your current efforts! I will be all eyes and ears and will gladly share whatever I can! And ditto re: our fellow member rcoch915. Best to all!

:thumb: :green_heart::blunt:

i really appreciate all that helpful info everybody. once again i defniitely will try to abide by the eticate mentioned before and completely agree that without this network alot of people would be up s**t creek without a paddle for sure. thanks again.

Hi rcoch915!

:Namaste: :high-five:

You are most welcome sir and best wishes to you! I hope you continue to follow along and please don't hesitate to share. I look forward to following to see how your efforts come along. Best and sincerest regards!

:thumb:

A pleasant Tuesday evening to all. Short little update moving forward. I am glad I postponed harvesting from last Friday. All of the plants have developed more robust looking trichomes and bud fill. I am going to harvest the more mature and whispy ones tonight, after I take my phenotype photos and plant profile notes. I am also going to keep all of the harvested bud (and in several cases whisps) separate so that I can evaluate whether any of them have significantly different smoking characteristics. Sunday I trimmed the lil budley that I cut on Sat. night and tested it last night in my new 18" bubbler (which I ordered from one of our sponsors and not only was it an awesome purchase experience and a great piece of glass - it was the first water pipe smoke I had had in more than 10 years - that's how much in the closet I've been lmao @ me). The smoking experience was tremendous and cannot wait to have one now that my chores are done prior to heading to the garden.

I also just wanted to add, that this strain that I have is a result of necessity and not because I am trying to 'breed' a certain strain. These seed are all I had to start with many years ago and because of the way life and career went, I was never in regular contact with any folks after the late 90s where I could obtain smoke or seeds. My previous growing was always to provide as much quality medicine in as little amount of time but simultaneously also to guarantee that I always had seed for the next time. I cannot put in to words my excitement to try new strains, but I'll always be near and dear to this special strain since it got me through so many tough times of arthritis and severe joint pain. I was always too paranoid to apply for a medical card here and I just made due.

A far away picture of the whole garden with many of my amaryllises ready to open flowers in the foreground. How perfect timing is that. Everything peaking flowering or us right at Christmas. I wish all things good to all of you. Best! :Namaste:

colorfuldayze3_dec22_2014.JPG

christmas has come early for you my friend!
Congratulations on the harvest, I absolutely love that you're making notes on phenos, smoke reviews, etc.. The scientific aspect of breeding is what attracted me to growing to begin with.
I too recently bought my first bubbler in a decade (can't really smoke and grow in the army haha) and they are wonderful little inventions! I had a 12" and my sister got the wife and I a little 4" bubbler, it is the most dangerous/potent little thing I have ever stumbled with... I mean across =p

Happy holidays brother, enjoy the fruits of your labor!

christmas has come early for you my friend!
Congratulations on the harvest, I absolutely love that you're making notes on phenos, smoke reviews, etc.. The scientific aspect of breeding is what attracted me to growing to begin with.
I too recently bought my first bubbler in a decade (can't really smoke and grow in the army haha) and they are wonderful little inventions! I had a 12" and my sister got the wife and I a little 4" bubbler, it is the most dangerous/potent little thing I have ever stumbled with... I mean across =p

Happy holidays brother, enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Hi jinn! Thank you for your kind words brother and likewise to you. I have always been a science geek and my biggest self criticism is that I don't take enough notes, but then my least favorite task is managing and filing those notes lol. And then the biggest self kick in the rear is 5 years later after the last grow, and two home changes, jobs, boxes, etc. I'm really kicking myself for not having those notes :) Since learning so much here and gaining some confidence and actually feeling like I figured a couple things out (thanks to all of you :) you can bet assured that these notes are going in the book!

I've been smoking an old standby metal pipe for years, and after 2+ weeks of having the water pipe...there are no words. I can only imagine how potent and dangerous the smaller version would be like your 4"er...and emphasis on stumbled :) cheers and all the best to you jinn!

:Namaste:

:thanks:
:bong:

Can you please take some photographs of the dried buds?

Hello King, namaste and all things good to you sir. I will absolutely most certainly post fotos of the harvested and trimmed buds. Finished bud fotos may have to come via our good friend who is housesitting later in the beginning of the New Year. Please know that these buds are not as nice and fat and dense as previous grows, but they are sticky, pungent, and very flavorful nontheless and will now provide medicine for two and not just me :) Plus, this was a tremendous learning experience moving forward as I go back to the big pot and the big everything else! :)

Thanks for your interest KJC and best to you!

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom