Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chem

• Veganic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hydro has the yield.

Organics has a potential to allow a plant to fully express it's terpenes profile.

I have just recently heard about veganic. Looks like a got some reading to do. Is it where plants are fermeted for fertilizer? I am soon to start studying those methods.

DWC has tubing and equipment that would mucked up with sludge. Keeping a reservoir of decaying stuff without it turning in to a pond, may be difficult.

There are a couple of members here I have seen doing a form of coco and organics and have been successful.

Its cool to innovate and all that, but why not just do something thats tried and true first so you can get a couple of grows (and a nice stash) under your belt first... and then go out to try to find that new growing method that no one else has ever tried before.
And to that good sir i say "Why not do both"?.

Let me give you a well deserved straight answer to your question from my point of view. Hydro can give you superior growth and yield as compared to typical soil grows, simply because strong nutrients are in contact with the roots 24/7. The downside is that the only nutrients your plants get is what is in the mix. If the mix is missing something that might be found in soil or in an organic grow, the plants simply do not get it and there is a possibility that as a result, the plant will not be able to develop to its full genetic capacity. Think of a hawaiian strain grown in midwestern soil... there ends up being something critical, something that we don't yet understand, missing from what would have resulted in natual hawaiian soil. Nutrient solutions are not perfect, yet most people growing for production, grow using hydro nutes and methods.

Organic soil methods allow for some extra magic to happen. Special enzymes, amino acids and maybe even nutrients we have not yet found, are in a good mineralized soil. In organic growing methods, we as gardeners do not feed our plants... we allow the natural feeding cycle to take place without our intervention. The plants communicate to the microbes and fungi in the soil, telling them what is needed, and the microbes and plants work together to bring to the roots the exact things the plant wants. Organically grown plants are the tastiest, best smelling and most potent pot that we know how to grow, and artificially fed plants can't even come close. The yield might not be as big as in a hydro grow, but the quality is off the chart better.

This being clarified, there are tricks. I have discovered a product, used to be a sponsor here, Vulx. This was a ground up volcanic dust that could be added to the soil and it created a situation where the soil was super enhanced so that its contact with the roots was many times greater than what happened naturally. The Vulx also allowed the soil to hold more water and nutrient. This resulted in two of my documented grows to produce growth rates right up there with the typical hydro system. I have proven that Hydro does not have the market cornered on rapid growth, and I expect to soon see more soil modification products like Vulx pop up and become available to the consumer market.

So there is my answer. There is no answer. Yield and quality depend on the grower's skills and the methods chosen. It is impossible to say that either hydro or soil or organic are superior... it just depends on what you need to do and what you are happy with as an end product.

Here's my take on yields.

Don't worry about yields focus on your growing technique and how YOU want to grow.

Once you get a few grows under your belt then start thinking about yields but my focus has ALWAYS been on quality. Yields always a distant thing... I'd much rather grow a 4 zip plant that knocks my socks off with terpines flavor and high that an 8 zip middie. I've grown them all. Go for the good stuff.

You cant get quality with a growing technique only. You need lots of other things like proper lighting, soil mix and most important is GENETICS.

You simply cannot grow a sows ear and expect it to run like a race horse. Ain't gonna happen.

Once you get a few grows under your belt then start thinking about yields
True. But usually, or at least for me, it was the other way around. All excited about yield before I knew how to grow at all but now I don’t even know or care.

Some of my best weed was a little shorty mutant. Then some of my best weed came from seed from that shorty mutant and turned into the biggest yields I've ever had on one plant.... so far.

Strange word ... round ball keeps on turning.

If done properly 100% Living Organic Soil will equal any other method in yield. You may have to veg an extra few days but overall your yield is more defined by the space you're in than method.
But the LOS will give you a higher quality bud.
If your space is 2x5
If you use 25+ gallon fabric pots filled with quality soil and LST and SCROG then your main deciding factor on yield is the space itself.
Whether you fill that space with DWC or bottle feed in coco or whatever is meaningless.
You're only going to get maybe 70 colas filling that space like French fries.

Now LOS "if done properly" the buds will get just as big and flat out covered in trichomes which is really where your weight comes from (OIL) once you get the space filled with colas.

I mistakenly assumed this was a comparative grow Journal between chem and organic but it was informative nonetheless.

I have been going the chemical route with MegaCrop to good success, finally, but part of the reason I checked this thread out is owing to I would like to do a comparative grow with MC and GeoFlora myself but GeoFlora last time I looked wasn't readily available in Canada and the shipping was rather steep but eventually when it becomes readily available in Canada I will do a comparative grow between the two. I'm mostly just curious what type of difference there would be since going the chemical route I am pretty pleased with my results.

Back
Top Bottom