Crown Royal - First Grow

Hey, I'm going to sub up for this grow. We have the same led panel and grow in the same promix so it could be helpful. I also have a bit of experience so I can try to answer some of your questions you have been asking.

When planting your seeds, always water the medium first and then place your seeds. If you put the seed in and then try to water, there is a good chance the seed will get pushed down deeper and may not be able to push to the surface. Also be sure not to overwater, a little bit of runoff when wetting the promix for the first time is good and you can put that runoff thru a 2nd time for good measure. After that a seed should be able to go almost a week depending on the humidity in the room.

The tips of the leaves in that last picture where they were a bit yellow, that's fairly common. When a plant first comes out of the seed shell under the dirt it is actually yellow until it starts to get oxygen and then turns green. Can't tell you why or how this works, but I have seen it :)

48 hours and no sprouts?? usually 2-4 days for sure and they are up. If you are super careful you can slowly pull back some dirt around the seed with a toohpick or something and find out what is going on. But I stress, be careful, if you damage the roots to a viable seed it will be done for good.

I use fluorescent lights to start my seedlings and then go to the led panel, these panels we use are quite strong with both switches on. I would wait a week before putting them under the led panel if you have the fluorescent lights. Then when they do go under the panel, make sure it is about 30" away with only the veg switch on at first. After a day or 2 more it down to 24" then another day or 2 turn on the 2nd switch on your panel. More light is good :)

Also for your ph if your are doing it.. promix is a soiless mix, it is not soil. So unless you are growing organically, use the recommended ph for a hydro system. I think it's 5.8-6.4 or something like that. I would have to go find the graph. I myself don't even ph anymore unless something goes wrong, I use GH Flora series 3 part and all the additives.

Anyways hope this info helps. If you need anything else feel free to ask. I'm usually around when I am home, will try to answer any questions within a day.
hey , thanks for the quick reply and in depth explaination . Thats cool that we have the same setup basically , we can learn from eachother and help eachother out .yea i def messed up a little already , i think i planted the seeds too deep and gave them too much water at first .
Right now im battling the humidity , as in trying to keep it above 40 in my tent .
I may have to get a humidifier soon .
I think your right about the yellow leaf, i didnt have my inline or exhaust on for a few days to keep the humidity and temp up . I kept my small vent open and left the door partially unzipped and maybe my plant was saying it needed air .
I had to pull back some dirt this morning , thats how i seen that sprout trying to break through the dirt . i wonder if i should wait another day and do the same to the others hmmm.
As for the toggle switches , arent i supposed to use both bloom amd veg when in flower on myb12/12 ?
I have a smaller grow light thays not led , i wonder if i should switch my sprout to go under that instead and leave the other 4 cups under the led ?
Im going to be using the advanced nutrients line soon , im hearing i should be ph ing my water at this stage 6.5 to 6.8 ?
Anyways thanks for subbing in and helping me out and welcome to my first grow !

For now if you want to try and raise you humidity you could try hanging a wet towel in the corner of your tent and see if that helps. Or while your plants are small you could cut the top off a pop bottle, cut a few small air holes in the bottom, flip it over and place it over top of the plant, just remove it at least once a day to allow some fresh air at the plant for a bit. Always try to keep some air circulating one way or another though even if you have to unzip the tent a tiny bit. The air exchange will work best though.

When planting your seeds after they have cracked and shown the taproot, place the seed about half an inch (1/2") below the dirt with the tap root pointed up. a tap root will always come straight up first and then curl back down. this gives the plant the leverage it needs to push the head up thru the dirt.

I run my led panel with both switches on in veg, the extra light and color spectrum will not hurt anything unless it is to strong for the seedlings. that is why I start out under my T5 or T8 lights for the first week to ensure they are ready for such a powerful light.. but if you started them under the led you can leave them that way, not saying you cant start them under that panel, just good to keep it a few feet away until about a week old, then you can move it closer and turn on the 2nd switch.

As for the ph levels. Hydro is generally run at 5.8 to 6.2, if in rockwool around 5.5 and for soil 6.4 to 6.8 ... and like I said earlier, promix is soiless, there is no soil at all in that stuff. So unless you get organic nutrients to grow with, I would grow at the hydro ph levels. That is roughly what my ph comes out to when I do test it after nutrients and I haven't been having any ph issues at all.

Advanced nutrients is a good line, if you haven't ordered it yet maybe look into the ph perfect line that they have. It includes a ph buffer in the solution so you don't have to adjust the ph. I use general hydroponic flora series 3 part with full line of additives myself and they work fine. Haven't used advance nutrients myself, mostly because of the price of it.

For now if you want to try and raise you humidity you could try hanging a wet towel in the corner of your tent and see if that helps. Or while your plants are small you could cut the top off a pop bottle, cut a few small air holes in the bottom, flip it over and place it over top of the plant, just remove it at least once a day to allow some fresh air at the plant for a bit. Always try to keep some air circulating one way or another though even if you have to unzip the tent a tiny bit. The air exchange will work best though.

When planting your seeds after they have cracked and shown the taproot, place the seed about half an inch (1/2") below the dirt with the tap root pointed up. a tap root will always come straight up first and then curl back down. this gives the plant the leverage it needs to push the head up thru the dirt.

I run my led panel with both switches on in veg, the extra light and color spectrum will not hurt anything unless it is to strong for the seedlings. that is why I start out under my T5 or T8 lights for the first week to ensure they are ready for such a powerful light.. but if you started them under the led you can leave them that way, not saying you cant start them under that panel, just good to keep it a few feet away until about a week old, then you can move it closer and turn on the 2nd switch.

As for the ph levels. Hydro is generally run at 5.8 to 6.2, if in rockwool around 5.5 and for soil 6.4 to 6.8 ... and like I said earlier, promix is soiless, there is no soil at all in that stuff. So unless you get organic nutrients to grow with, I would grow at the hydro ph levels. That is roughly what my ph comes out to when I do test it after nutrients and I haven't been having any ph issues at all.

Advanced nutrients is a good line, if you haven't ordered it yet maybe look into the ph perfect line that they have. It includes a ph buffer in the solution so you don't have to adjust the ph. I use general hydroponic flora series 3 part with full line of additives myself and they work fine. Haven't used advance nutrients myself, mostly because of the price of it.
i just put a damp towel in my tent and its working great so far lol . i have both inline and exhaust going too . thanks for the tip .
when i planted them i planted the tap facing down like a noob .oh well thats how you learn i guess .
ill wait until my plants get bigger before switching on both veg amd bloom to be on the safe side like you said .
As far as nutrients , i have sensi grow A and B so far and was planning on gwtting the hobbyist pack this week . ill def check out the ph perfect from their line , sounds like a solid plan .ill try to use hydro ph since im not growing organicly . Im really excited to get this grow going !

Perfect, that's good to hear. It may dry out fairly often but you may get lucky and only have to wet it once a day or something. I know in the winter when my humidity was really low in the basement cause of the furnace, a towel would dry out in half a day it seemed with fans and heater on lol.

No big worries on planting them that way, they usually will find their way unless to deep, it will just take a little longer for the root to do its thing..

Yes I have heard good things about the ph perfect line, works good for the most part. I heard that when mixing at a lower strength sometimes the ph wasn't balancing out but that it was because there was less buffer going into those amounts or something.. not completely sure, you would have to look into it, just thought I would throw the idea out there for you.

I'm sure you will do great, and over time you will get some more people visiting with different experience and knowledge to pass along as well.

ok we have one sprout guys !
420-magazine-mobile466046182.jpg
Awesome

You aren't doing anything wrong my friend, those spots could be from just about anything. It's the next sets of leaves that really count. These cotyledon leaves are what store the nutrients for your plants for the first 2 to 3 weeks. Strange still no sign of the other ones yet.. Hopefully tomorrow :)

just an update on day 4 of veg, not alot going on with my main girl and shes growing right along . I cut my losses on the other 4 seeds that didnt make it .
Im germinating 2 more seeds as atm and will do the last seed today.
I called cks and let them know my situation and they honored my order free of charge , so ill be getting another 5 pack in a few weeks !
Im thinking of possibly getting another tent and light just for veg and using my main set up for flowering . Either way , i gotta get this garden up and functional.

Right on man, sucks when seeds don't pop but some seed banks will guarantee 80% germination rate if you follow their directions and such. Good that you are getting another pack! Lets hope these next ones make it. Plant them about a half inch deep after the seed cracks and is showing the tip of the taproot. When you drop the seed in, carefully position it so the taproot is pointing upwards some and cover it over gently, no need to pack anything in. :) Lets hope for the best!

Right on man, sucks when seeds don't pop but some seed banks will guarantee 80% germination rate if you follow their directions and such. Good that you are getting another pack! Lets hope these next ones make it. Plant them about a half inch deep after the seed cracks and is showing the tip of the taproot. When you drop the seed in, carefully position it so the taproot is pointing upwards some and cover it over gently, no need to pack anything in. :) Lets hope for the best!

im glad cks made it right and sent me another order .ill be doing business with them again in the future .
Thanks for the tip, ill be doing exactly that .
I shoukd note that im still battling with keeping my rh over 40 percent , i have 2 bowls of water with a wet towel in each and proped up in front of my intake . It does help alot but i really need at humidifier .

Yep a humidifier will do wonders inside a tent, make sure you get a decent sized one since you have real low humidity. One of the tiny mist humidifiers may not be enough for your needs. They can be set to how high of humidity you need and will shut off when they reach that point. Doesn't have to be digital unless you want, I just use an analog one that's good for 1000sq feet but I have a large room.

I wanted to leave you a message here since you are a new member, I did the same for a couple others that are new as well to let you in on some of the fun. I will just copy and paste to make it easier..

I also wanted to mention to you since you are a newer member... In my signature below is a link to the forums contest section. In here there are 4 contests every month and a yearly contest for each one at the end of the year. Now that you have more than 50 posts in on this forum you are eligible to enter and vote in these contests.
3 contests are member, plant, nug of the month and the 4th is a photo contest where you can use any photo's you find within the forums photo gallery so long as you give the owner credit, or use your own photo's once you get some nice big plants growing
You can enter in the plant and nug of the month contests before the 15th of each month and then members get to vote up until the end of the month on which one they like best.
Member of the month works by way of nominations. You can go to the contest section of the forum and private message the moderator or admin a person you would like to nominate. This person should be someone who is seen throughout different sections of the forum lending a helping hand, keeping the peace and even leaving nice comments or starting up new helpful threads and so on.
All the rules are outlined in the beginning of each contest and should tell you everything you need to know. It's a great way to have some fun with your time on here really, great people in here.

Yep a humidifier will do wonders inside a tent, make sure you get a decent sized one since you have real low humidity. One of the tiny mist humidifiers may not be enough for your needs. They can be set to how high of humidity you need and will shut off when they reach that point. Doesn't have to be digital unless you want, I just use an analog one that's good for 1000sq feet but I have a large room.

I wanted to leave you a message here since you are a new member, I did the same for a couple others that are new as well to let you in on some of the fun. I will just copy and paste to make it easier..

I also wanted to mention to you since you are a newer member... In my signature below is a link to the forums contest section. In here there are 4 contests every month and a yearly contest for each one at the end of the year. Now that you have more than 50 posts in on this forum you are eligible to enter and vote in these contests.
3 contests are member, plant, nug of the month and the 4th is a photo contest where you can use any photo's you find within the forums photo gallery so long as you give the owner credit, or use your own photo's once you get some nice big plants growing
You can enter in the plant and nug of the month contests before the 15th of each month and then members get to vote up until the end of the month on which one they like best.
Member of the month works by way of nominations. You can go to the contest section of the forum and private message the moderator or admin a person you would like to nominate. This person should be someone who is seen throughout different sections of the forum lending a helping hand, keeping the peace and even leaving nice comments or starting up new helpful threads and so on.
All the rules are outlined in the beginning of each contest and should tell you everything you need to know. It's a great way to have some fun with your time on here really, great people in here.
where is your signature ?

where is your signature ?

My signature is everything that comes up at the bottom of each post I make. It shows all my journals and some tutorials, then at very bottom I have a contest link.
1 tap root showing on 1/3 so far after only 24 hours !
day 5 of veg on first plant , heavily misted her this morning cause the medium was super dry .

If you have a Taproot poking out of a seed then plant it right away. No need to let it get long, more risk of damaging it then.

day 6 .
Got up this morning to check my girl , i noticed a root poking through the bottom of cup drainage hole . <Note to self , fill solo cup up completely and not halfway again . > Decided to transplant into a one gallon pot, its a good thing i did cause she was almost root bound . I had a feeling that would happen sooner than i expected . She has a great root system already and i think shes gonna make me happy months from now .
The transplant didnt go as smooth as i wanted it to go cause the medium wasnt really settled so i cut down the side of the cup and gently removed her and set her in the new home . I gave her a small cup of water and misted heavily .I figure less is more at this point , i didnt water until run off (not sure if thats good or not ) . the water was distilled , also other cup was from girlfriends aquarium water , filtered, ph at 6.3 , ppm 77 at 79 degrees and her plants are doing amazing . I think my girl may be shocked for a few days but thats expected . I also lowered the lights around 3 and a half feet away i feel like she needed more light .
On a side note my other 2 seeds have a nice sized taproot and im thinking of just planting them in a 1 gallon pot instead of a solo cup today . The other seed isnt doing much at this point so ill just let it sit another day to see what happens .

Back
Top Bottom