Dark Period

Indicolas

Hey it's an exiciting time of the year and I'm coming up on the final days on my grows (Runtz, GOG, white widow). I'm contemplating the dark period. Is this a common pratice for today as it was mythical several years ago? My question is, does the THC production that so called happens produce ripe resin or am I going to alter my potency back to less medicinal indica effects. My trichs are 80/20 milky and been flushed for 10 days. Also, if going to the dark side, do I still water or let it go to speed drying time? This final step and dry and cure will complete my journal. I'll post what has happened this year. Runtz was a challenge. GOG was a strange looking flower as it was nothing but calyxs and no sugar leaves. And the widow sugared out my whole tent!

GOG
GOG.png

You plants look nice! Dark period is pretty much "Bro-Science". The only thing a dark period does is slightly increase terpene levels (terpenes volatilize in light), it has absolutely no effect of THC production. You can accomplish the same thing by harvesting before the lights come on in the morning. As far as flushing goes, it's you choice, but similarly it is ineffective bro science, and it deprives the plant of nutrients, little else.

You plants look nice! Dark period is pretty much "Bro-Science". The only thing a dark period does is slightly increase terpene levels (terpenes volatilize in light), it has absolutely no effect of THC production. You can accomplish the same thing by harvesting before the lights come on in the morning. As far as flushing goes, it's you choice, but similarly it is ineffective bro science, and it deprives the plant of nutrients, little else.
Thanks for your reply. Flushing was an experiment this round as well. The plants I kept feeding stayed fluffed and firm. The flushed plant looked a little shrunk but trichs looked the same and unaffected. I'll throw one in the dark as planned and see what I get.

Thanks for your reply. Flushing was an experiment this round as well. The plants I kept feeding stayed fluffed and firm. The flushed plant looked a little shrunk but trichs looked the same and unaffected. I'll throw one in the dark as planned and see what I get.

there's a number of folk on the board experimenting with droughting as well.

Guess I'm all "bro science" . Growers preference! A lot of breeders still flush their own cannabis.
Don't believe in "overfeeding" the plant, especially in later flowering.
Could tell you a million reasons why but that horse is dead.

I stop feeding in late flower, the buds don't need/use nutrients to ripen
So I don't flush [hate that word, it's so misinterpreted] but a week or so of plain water in the last 7-10 days [a little H2O2 maybe] is a similar concept

The dark period theory is nonsense

My smoke is well-known amongst my buddies for tasting clean and full of discernible flavour, far superior to average street weed, much of which is simply sprayed with terpenes to mask an underlying gacky taste

Agreed! Dark Period? BroScience. Flushing? BroScience.

I was one of those that would run a dark period but at flip. It was supposed to get them to flower faster. Nope.

Flushing, as far as I understand it, is when you've toxed the hell out of your plant and need to reset the media. It uses copious amounts of water to "flush" out whatever over nute is in the media.

Tapering is where you reduce the PPM's in the last weeks of flower until you get to just water in the last week or so.

Q
Agreed! Dark Period? BroScience. Flushing? BroScience.

I was one of those that would run a dark period but at flip. It was supposed to get them to flower faster. Nope.

Flushing, as far as I understand it, is when you've toxed the hell out of your plant and need to reset the media. It uses copious amounts of water to "flush" out whatever over nute is in the media.

Tapering is where you reduce the PPM's in the last weeks of flower until you get to just water in the last week or so.
agreed! There’s two kinds of flushing, one where nutes are withheld and the plant gets only water for days/weeks before harvest, to “removed excess nutrient from the plant” total BS (Bro Science). The other flushing, is as you describe, flushing the media with.water, 3x the volume of the pot, to remove chelate salts from the use of synthetic nutes, that is effective! Unfortunately the term for each of those things is used interchangeably, which is confusing..

Q

agreed! There’s two kinds of flushing, one where nutes are withheld and the plant gets only water for days/weeks before harvest, to “removed excess nutrient from the plant” total BS (Bro Science). The other flushing, is as you describe, flushing the media with.water, 3x the volume of the pot, to remove chelate salts from the use of synthetic nutes, that is effective! Unfortunately the term for each of those things is used interchangeably, which is confusing..
I think the former should be called starving instead of flushing!!
That's essentially what it is!

Back
Top Bottom