Decoding strain names

ScrappyD

420 Member
I don't smoke anymore for health reasons, but do make THC infused coconut oil capsules. Gives the relaxed type of high, not the "I'm soooo stoned" high. I'm not into getting blitzed anymore. LOL

We did our grow this year, limited to four plants in Virginia, and I have some friends that are going to smoke test it for me.

My question is: Is there a particular strain that I'm looking for to grow that will do a nice oil infusion? For the record, I take any plant material that remains after straining the oil and make a big batch of edibles that are also pretty rad.

I've used 1-1/2 bags of 1000 capsules, so am pretty well versed on how to do that deed, but now am digging deeper to find out if there's a type I can grow that will work for me. Until now, it was bud/leaf from Vermont.

Looking forward to hearing what y'all have to say.

any healthy, good genetic plant (genotype) will produce lots of trichomes= lots of cannabinoids

different strains produce different ratios of cannabinoids which will produce different medicinal effects.

google what you want from the plant and strains with those benefits will pop up and hopefully its true and work for you

I don't smoke anymore for health reasons, but do make THC infused coconut oil capsules. Gives the relaxed type of high, not the "I'm soooo stoned" high. I'm not into getting blitzed anymore. LOL

We did our grow this year, limited to four plants in Virginia, and I have some friends that are going to smoke test it for me.

My question is: Is there a particular strain that I'm looking for to grow that will do a nice oil infusion? For the record, I take any plant material that remains after straining the oil and make a big batch of edibles that are also pretty rad.

I've used 1-1/2 bags of 1000 capsules, so am pretty well versed on how to do that deed, but now am digging deeper to find out if there's a type I can grow that will work for me. Until now, it was bud/leaf from Vermont.

Looking forward to hearing what y'all have to say.
In all reality, I would suggest finding strain "chemotypes" that are similar to ones you have enjoyed in the past.

The "feel" you get from cannabis is a combination of the cannabinoids, and the terpenoids. This is called the entourage effect.

You can find on the information on terpenes, and the effects that they provide as well as health benefits. Then you can match these up to strains that are high in terpenes of your target feeling.

For instance, the terpene Limonene generally gives cannabis its lemon citrus flavor, and usually is associated with uplifting feeling among other things. So if you were looking for a "feeling" of uplifting, seek cannabis strains with high levels of limonene.

Also cannabinoids play a role in the effects you feel. Not so much the amount of THC but the ratios of THC to CBD or other cannabinoids will play an effect on what you feel. CBD for instance somewhat counteracts the high from THC, so if you find a high CBD strain, generally it will not be as heavy of a high as a high THC, low CBD strain...

Terpenes really seem to play more of a role in the type of "feel" you get when you smoke cannabis, however, I am not so sure how this will play into edibles/ingestible oil. I would recommend seeking the "feeling" you want via terpene profiles and then see what strains showcase those terpenes.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond. Next season, I'll be more prepared. We did get a couple oz out of the plants we grew in pots and my friend who is going to test it for me has it in her possession. I think as an individual hobby grower who makes edibles rather than smokes, I can pretty much grow what I need.

One of you mentioned pot I had enjoyed in the past. The problem with that is that I smoked it in the past and in the ensuing years, the leaf/seeds we used to buy turned into super strong buds. Amazing!

I'm still doing homework and reading the forum posts here. I have a way to go for sure.

any healthy, good genetic plant (genotype) will produce lots of trichomes= lots of cannabinoids

different strains produce different ratios of cannabinoids which will produce different medicinal effects.

google what you want from the plant and strains with those benefits will pop up and hopefully its true and work for you
How does the different microbes in the rhizospere affect amount and content of the cannabinoids and THC content?

How does the amount of senescence in the overall plant affect the cannabinoids and THC content?

How does the different microbes in the rhizospere affect amount and content of the cannabinoids and THC content?

How does the amount of senescence in the overall plant affect the cannabinoids and THC content?
genetics control the variety of cannabinoids, the more microbes, more enzymes and amino acids= more chelated nutrients=more growth, more trichomes, higher amounts of each cannabinoid and higher the brix(sugar content in the sap).

dunno what senescence means, id google it but please explain:)

genetics is 100% responsible for what the plant can do, the key is to unlock the genetics and produce the best you can from what cultivar you have, by giving the plant what it truely needs, and thats the mystery we are always trying to figure out/discover

environment has a play. Lets say your big bud candy ass strain goes thru a drought an herms all over your Cookies best ever???

Thats fer sure 100% genetics triggered by poor horticultural practice of under watering.

genetics is 100% responsible for what the plant can do, the key is to unlock the genetics and produce the best you can from what cultivar you have, by giving the plant what it truely needs, and thats the mystery we are always trying to figure out/discover
I disagree with 100%...

Genetics are Part of the formula but not all out encompassing.

This is why there are things called phenotype expression. Given the exact same genetics, grown in 2 different environments, (lets say clones or tissue culture of the same mother, same age, same plant location taken) although the genotype is identical, the phenotype expression can be completely different.

This has been shown with many studies of different plants around the world where they can have exact same genotype, but have completely different expression. This would disagree with its 100% genetic.

Also, plant stress responses such as SAR response typically increase resin productions as resin production is also a pest prevention method, as well as a sunscreen along with anthocyanins.

Even if the plant was in the "perfect environment" per the genetic potential, introduce things such as UV-B light stress, or nearby plant pressure VOC signalling, this can increase resin production. This would be converse to reaching genetic potential in a perfect environment.

Also Epigenetics matter, in which the environment, stresses and other things will actually change the DNA expressions, for good or worse, so overtime "genetics" can get better or degrade.

I agree that genetics play a huge role in the resin, but its not 100% of the formula.

Back
Top Bottom