Defoliation

12 - 24 hrs after you can hardly tell if it was done. have done 4 defol in veg, and one in flower. the one before flip was the most extensive. this is the first defol i have done in flower, will know more in a day or so, but i'm not expecting them to react the same as in veg.
they tend to react a bit still in transition depending on strain, 8week plus strains tend to re veg a bit. I go up to 2 weeks in even a little prune of mayby 5% at week 3. Love to see how they go.
I got some skywalker OG at 6 weeks looking good for a 10 week strain

once before trans, then at 2 and again at 3.

the whole point of the defol is to make use of available light. if you don't have enough leaves to do that, then it obviously defeats the point.

I think you figured it out.

Defoliation is counter productive as you pointed out!

Good observation. :passitleft:

Available light = fan leaves translocating nutrients made with Chlorophyll thru the vascular system of the plant to grow bigger and better nugz.

I think you figured it out.

Defoliation is counter productive as you pointed out!.
you may have missed mine however.

the grow is doing better with defoliation. i have 12 plants with less than a sq ft per plant. defoliation is an absolute necessity for this run. i am getting better development than expected and it is outperforming my last run at this time.

Other reasons for this run going better. Not defoil.

I didn't miss your point. I'm trying to persuade you to leave the plant alone.

Touching them and specially cutting off food/energy sources are stressful and counter productive (yields and quality).

Other reasons for this run going better. Not defoil.

I didn't miss your point. I'm trying to persuade you to leave the plant alone.

Touching them and specially cutting off food/energy sources are stressful and counter productive (yields and quality).
I think you are on a losing wicket, as I notice more pro-defoliar articles than against in a general search on the subject. It seems to have passed into accepted folklore, along with flushing. My attitude is: it's their plant to do as they wish. Let them be advised by the people that agree with them.

Articles written by botanists or biologists??

I didn't think you needed to read articles to understand what fan leaves function is.

There's a lot of weird things written in the name of cannabis. It's almost like its some plant that defies all laws of Chemistry, Physics and Biology.

I am suggesting plants do not like you cutting off their food source. They don't.

Plants happy = you happy.

Lots of folks like to touch their plants. It's not helping. true story

Articles written by botanists or biologists??

I didn't think you needed to read articles to understand what fan leaves function is.

There's a lot of weird things written in the name of cannabis. It's almost like its some plant that defies all laws of Chemistry, Physics and Biology.

I am suggesting plants do not like you cutting off their food source. They don't.

Plants happy = you happy.

Lots of folks like to touch their plants. It's not helping. true story
No, not by them. I agree entirely.

I’m starting to get a bit worried the buds aren’t fattening.
I don’t think that’s down to defoliation, I think it could be the light and grow space.
It’s a Viparspectar 600w for 4 plants.
I’ve used Canna pk 13/14 for the last two weeks (5+6) and thought I’d start flushing but the buds aren’t very big at all.
Any advice?
Should I keep using the PK or just start flushing and hope the fatten up.

I think your plants look great for a 600 vipar. I think those are only really like 300 watts. My first grow was 3 plants using 2x 450(900) meizhi which was 450 ish true watts using a scrog get in a 3x3.(meizhi is rated almost exact same to vipar) My buds came out just a little fluffy but almost 1 gram per watt. I ran mine right to 20% amber before flush to get that extra push as the extra week really did help. The smoke is great but that extra week on a couch lock strain.. well yeah..that's just more couchlock. The other plant was a perfect daytime smoke on the same schedule. but your right the light is a little limiting. But still does a good job. To answer your question. That really depends on what you prefer to smoke. Yes a little extra push will give you more but super dense nugs are not really going to happen except near the tips. If you want more head high and less couch lock. It's not worth the few extra grams. Quality over quantity. There in totally nothing wrong with some fluffy buds. Just be carefull not drying the out too fast with curing. Bodeva 62% packs will help huge. Love them. I'm sure you won't be disappointed . Looks great from here. Don't push too hard on extra nutes as it will be harder to flush out.especially if you start to see some yellowing as the plants are basically deciding for themselves the don't want anymore and do a final pull from fan leaves.

I think your plants look great for a 600 vipar. I think those are only really like 300 watts. My first grow was 3 plants using 2x 450(900) meizhi which was 450 ish true watts using a scrog get in a 3x3.(meizhi is rated almost exact same to vipar) My buds came out just a little fluffy but almost 1 gram per watt. I ran mine right to 20% amber before flush to get that extra push as the extra week really did help. The smoke is great but that extra week on a couch lock strain.. well yeah..that's just more couchlock. The other plant was a perfect daytime smoke on the same schedule. but your right the light is a little limiting. But still does a good job. To answer your question. That really depends on what you prefer to smoke. Yes a little extra push will give you more but super dense nugs are not really going to happen except near the tips. If you want more head high and less couch lock. It's not worth the few extra grams. Quality over quantity. There in totally nothing wrong with some fluffy buds. Just be carefull not drying the out too fast with curing. Bodeva 62% packs will help huge. Love them. I'm sure you won't be disappointed . Looks great from here. Don't push too hard on extra nutes as it will be harder to flush out.especially if you start to see some yellowing as the plants are basically deciding for themselves the don't want anymore and do a final pull from fan leaves.
I’ve bought another light and going to double up.
600 Vipar.
That should solve the problem I hope.

Go easy with the new light if your adding into a run already in flower. You could end up stressing the plants pretty easily with 2x the light all of a sudden.

As mentioned, fluffy flowers are not a bad thing.

Genetics really play a big part in weather we get dense hard nugs or pretty flowers that are a little airy. Both are good. The fluffier the flower the less I worry about mold.

Go easy with the new light if your adding into a run already in flower. You could end up stressing the plants pretty easily with 2x the light all of a sudden.

As mentioned, fluffy flowers are not a bad thing.

Genetics really play a big part in weather we get dense hard nugs or pretty flowers that are a little airy. Both are good. The fluffier the flower the less I worry about mold.
And it seems more likely there is greater surface area to hold trichomes. Not sure if that's correct but it seems plausible. Airy buds are not a negative thing to me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom