Dehumidifier and carbon filter question

Grower2020

Will a dehumidifier still be effective if my carbon filter is running and sucking humid outside air into the tent while the dehumidifier is trying to dehumidify the space? I'm confused do i need to turn off my carbon filter in order for the dehumidifier to be efficient? Or will it still dehumidify the tent ?

I have my dehumidifier outside the tent - on the floor right next to it, near one of the "ports" made for passing 4 or 6-inch flexible duct. While those ports are all closed off as much as possible some air still gets through. I'm in a very humid environment - been mid 90s and quite humid the past few days. My tent is in the basement which is a lot cooler - 78-80 degrees for the most part. But that also means higher relative humidity. We bought the dehumidifier to help keep the basement floor from sweating, and it does fine for that. It also keeps the r.h. in the tent between 48-52%. To be clear, my fan+filter has no direct connection to the outside except for exhaust. All air that gets into the tent makes it's way through the cinched closed openings intended for ducting. I do not pull humid outside air into the tent.

I have my dehumidifier outside the tent - on the floor right next to it, near one of the "ports" made for passing 4 or 6-inch flexible duct. While those ports are all closed off as much as possible some air still gets through. I'm in a very humid environment - been mid 90s and quite humid the past few days. My tent is in the basement which is a lot cooler - 78-80 degrees for the most part. But that also means higher relative humidity. We bought the dehumidifier to help keep the basement floor from sweating, and it does fine for that. It also keeps the r.h. in the tent between 48-52%. To be clear, my fan+filter has no direct connection to the outside except for exhaust. All air that gets into the tent makes it's way through the cinched closed openings intended for ducting. I do not pull humid outside air into the tent.
So just to be clear you have your tent closed completely . With no inlet holes and running the carbon filter is that. So the walls are sucking in and the air just seeps in through tiny openings where the air inlet and outlets are in the tent?

Can you put a pic up please

I'm confused how does the dehumidifier do it's job if it's outside the tent and is not ducted into the tent and the tent isn't open anywherr to suck the dehumidified air in?

So just to be clear you have your tent closed completely . With no inlet holes and running the carbon filter is that. So the walls are sucking in and the air just seeps in through tiny openings where the air inlet and outlets are in the tent?
Yes - that is how I run it. In fact the filtered fan is only a 4" and I'm only running it at around 50%. I may increase that for the next week or two as I'm getting close to harvest.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow - ladies are sleeping.
I just read something about making a box to put the dehumidifier in and seal it with the dehumidifier in there but have a hole big enough just for ducting to come out . And a smaller hole about half the size of the ducting for inlet air into the box . Attach ducting to inlet vent and seal well
. Sound like it would work so that the only air getting into the tent with all the other venting holes closed is the air coming in from ducting which is connected to dehumidifier box

Really bad idea, if you put dehuey in a enclosure then you risk burning the place down by the excess heat being generated. They are finely engineered for the amount of air intake and exhaust to maintain operational ability so if you manipulate those parameters then expect serious thermal problems and reduced life span of the appliance.

I had a buddy who tweaked his Mitsubishi 3000 sports car, cuz he knew better than the automotive engineers. He purchased an overseas ECU module that allowed him to set his own parameters for fuel air mixture. After the first test ride the entire manifold and part of the heads were glowing red, the heat gun showed a temp in excess of 700 degrees. Yup that $1200 upgrade and some really bad DIY tech trashed the engine, sad part is dude was an electrical engineer.

Really bad idea, if you put dehuey in a enclosure then you risk burning the place down by the excess heat being generated. They are finely engineered for the amount of air intake and exhaust to maintain operational ability so if you manipulate those parameters then expect serious thermal problems and reduced life span of the appliance.

I had a buddy who tweaked his Mitsubishi 3000 sports car, cuz he knew better than the automotive engineers. He purchased an overseas ECU module that allowed him to set his own parameters for fuel air mixture. After the first test ride the entire manifold and part of the heads were glowing red, the heat gun showed a temp in excess of 700 degrees. Yup that $1200 upgrade and some really bad DIY tech trashed the engine, sad part is dude was an electrical engineer.
If you have the ducting from the box hooked into the tent inlet and the carbon filter on in the tent it will pull all that dehumidified air out of the box and Also be dragging fresh air into the box through the inlet hole into the box.

First, you’ve got the carbon filter setup entirely backwards, why pull outside air into the tent? The purpose of a carbon filter is to eliminate odor. Why condition outside air and then bring it into the tent - it makes no sense.

The air inside your home or garage is already conditioned, bring cool air into the tent passively thru the lower vents, then evacuate the warm air from the top of the tent thru the carbon filter and duct it to the outside.

in the natural flow of things warm air rises and cool air sinks, if you fight against this principle then it becomes more difficult to control. Bring conditioned air in thru passive vents down low and use the mechanical advantage of a fan & ducting to expel warm air out into the outdoors this way you may not even need the dehuey

I run a 4X4 without extraction fans and without dehuey

First, you’ve got the carbon filter setup entirely backwards, why pull outside air into the tent? The purpose of a carbon filter is to eliminate odor. Why condition outside air and then bring it into the tent - it makes no sense.

The air inside your home or garage is already conditioned, bring cool air into the tent passively thru the lower vents, then evacuate the warm air from the top of the tent thru the carbon filter and duct it to the outside.

in the natural flow of things warm air rises and cool air sinks, if you fight against this principle then it becomes more difficult to control. Bring conditioned air in thru passive vents down low and use the mechanical advantage of a fan & ducting to expel warm air out into the outdoors
My carbon filter is inside the tent dude

what you said was - my carbon filter is running and sucking humid outside air into the tent while the dehumidifier is trying to dehumidify the space?

But yes please let’s see what you’ve got
It will suck the dehumidifier air in through ducting attached to the in/out vents in the tent which is connected to the dehumidifier box

20210609_234416.jpg

what you said was - my carbon filter is running and sucking humid outside air into the tent while the dehumidifier is trying to dehumidify the space?

But yes please let’s see what you’ve got
Always get confused without diagrams myself .

20210609_234416.jpg

don't box up the dehum. they don't work that way.
the unit you describe sounds more like ac than dehum.

the dehum can run either in tent or outside. it pulls moist air in and tosses drier air out. it does not exhaust anything detrimental.

don't box up the dehum. they don't work that way.
the unit you describe sounds more like ac than dehum.

the dehum can run either in tent or outside. it pulls moist air in and tosses drier air out. it does not exhaust anything detrimental.
The idea is for the carbon filter to pull dehumidified air into the tent to bring humidity down

The breather does that pull air in from outdoors?
From in the same room that tent and the dehumidifier box is in . So it's a continuous circle . Not air from the outdoors just air within the same room that the box and the tent is in

Back
Top Bottom