Dmoney32's First Grow!

I think she's happy with her new soil!
20190703_184406.jpg
20190703_184404.jpg

Are you planning on topping her at all?? Do you know how to top? Do you know the benefits of topping?

She’s looking healthy man!! :thumb:

Topping is the process of pruning the growing tip of the main stem of a cannabis plant. This is perhaps the most common HST or high stress training technique applied by both indoor and outdoor growers. Marijuana growing naturally will typically take on a Christmas tree structure; One dominant, main central cola and multiple sets of side branches. All plant parts receiving a share of sunlight at some stage during the day as the sun traverses the sky.
In contrast, indoor cannabis plants receive illumination from a stationary grow lamp positioned above. This makes naturally-shaped cannabis plants inefficient to crop indoors, unless you cultivate in large numbers using the SOG or Sea of Green method. Topping is the method of choice for pro growers to increase yields. It is also favoured by home growers that want to fill out their grow space with a handful of plants, rather than pack in as many as possible.
Removing the terminal bud will encourage the development of two new main colas and promote growth of the lower, secondary branches. The aim is to invert the Christmas tree shape to allow more light penetration. Growth hormone is diffused to all of the shoots once the apical bud’s dominance is removed. Branchy, low-profile plants are more desirable to every grower. Indoors, vertical space is often at a premium and outdoors, bushes are stealthier than tall trees. Topping is a great technique to take control of the cannabis canopy.
Inner-3-Complete.jpg

HOW TO TOP CANNABIS
Topping is best applied with a single, clean cut to the tip of the main stem with sterile scissors. Remove 100% of the tip from the main stem and one cola will become two. Best of all, the process can be repeated again and again to double-down on the number of top colas.
All seasoned cannabis growers will agree that topping is a technique for the vegetative growth phase. Exactly the right moment is a matter of debate. Most growers these days will top early, typically when the plant has just 3-5 nodes. On the other hand, old-school growers are usually a little more patient, waiting about 30 days or until plants are at least 30cm in height before topping.
As topping is a HST method, plants will need some time to recover. Allow 1-2 weeks before applying further pruning and training techniques.

Are you planning on topping her at all?? Do you know how to top? Do you know the benefits of topping?

She’s looking healthy man!! :thumb:

Topping is the process of pruning the growing tip of the main stem of a cannabis plant. This is perhaps the most common HST or high stress training technique applied by both indoor and outdoor growers. Marijuana growing naturally will typically take on a Christmas tree structure; One dominant, main central cola and multiple sets of side branches. All plant parts receiving a share of sunlight at some stage during the day as the sun traverses the sky.
In contrast, indoor cannabis plants receive illumination from a stationary grow lamp positioned above. This makes naturally-shaped cannabis plants inefficient to crop indoors, unless you cultivate in large numbers using the SOG or Sea of Green method. Topping is the method of choice for pro growers to increase yields. It is also favoured by home growers that want to fill out their grow space with a handful of plants, rather than pack in as many as possible.
Removing the terminal bud will encourage the development of two new main colas and promote growth of the lower, secondary branches. The aim is to invert the Christmas tree shape to allow more light penetration. Growth hormone is diffused to all of the shoots once the apical bud’s dominance is removed. Branchy, low-profile plants are more desirable to every grower. Indoors, vertical space is often at a premium and outdoors, bushes are stealthier than tall trees. Topping is a great technique to take control of the cannabis canopy.
Inner-3-Complete.jpg

HOW TO TOP CANNABIS
Topping is best applied with a single, clean cut to the tip of the main stem with sterile scissors. Remove 100% of the tip from the main stem and one cola will become two. Best of all, the process can be repeated again and again to double-down on the number of top colas.
All seasoned cannabis growers will agree that topping is a technique for the vegetative growth phase. Exactly the right moment is a matter of debate. Most growers these days will top early, typically when the plant has just 3-5 nodes. On the other hand, old-school growers are usually a little more patient, waiting about 30 days or until plants are at least 30cm in height before topping.
As topping is a HST method, plants will need some time to recover. Allow 1-2 weeks before applying further pruning and training techniques.
I was planning on just doing the LST, do you think I'd do any better if I topped her then did LST a bit later?

I was planning on just doing the LST, do you think I'd do any better if I topped her then did LST a bit later?

In my opinion, she’s too young for LST training. She doesn’t have any branches grown yet. Just fan leaves. The shoot that comes out above the fan leaves are what you want to train, not the fan leaves. In my opinion, I would top at what ever internode your looking for, then tie the fan leaves down to the side, allowing light to penetrate into the centre of the plant. Once your branches start coming in, switch the ties from the fan leaves to the branches. :thumb:

See if I have an early picture of my plants when I first topped. Hang on a sec.

In my opinion, she’s too young for LST training. She doesn’t have any branches grown yet. Just fan leaves. The shoot that comes out above the fan leaves are what you want to train, not the fan leaves. In my opinion, I would top at what ever internode your looking for, then tie the fan leaves down to the side, allowing light to penetrate into the centre of the plant. Once your branches start coming in, switch the ties from the fan leaves to the branches. :thumb:

See if I have an early picture of my plants when I first topped. Hang on a sec.
So I could top them soon and they would be good? And yeah I was just going to wait and do lst, but with my lighting situation I dont want her to get too big :laughtwo:

So I could top them soon and they would be good? And yeah I was just going to wait and do lst, but with my lighting situation I dont want her to get too big :laughtwo:

Then topping and training will be your best bet. You can always top the secondary and third branches off the top branch to maintain a lower canopy as well.

Just remember that the bottom two internode usually gets cut off because they don’t mount to much anyways. I left a few of mine on because by the time I went to cut them they had made it to the top canopy with the rest of them, so I left it.

So make sure you’ve got four internodes and cut the fifth off. Or if your looking for a lower canopy, cut the fourth and leave three internodes below the cut. It’s completely up to you, but you will be able to control the canopy height easier while maintaining high quality buds. :thumb:

Then topping and training will be your best bet. You can always top the secondary and third branches off the top branch to maintain a lower canopy as well.

Just remember that the bottom two internode usually gets cut off because they don’t mount to much anyways. I left a few of mine on because by the time I went to cut them they had made it to the top canopy with the rest of them, so I left it.

So make sure you’ve got four internodes and cut the fifth off. Or if your looking for a lower canopy, cut the fourth and leave three internodes below the cut. It’s completely up to you, but you will be able to control the canopy height easier while maintaining high quality buds. :thumb:
Thanks so much!

Do you think i should top at the 4th or 5th node now or should i wait a bit?

Back
Top Bottom