Do any vegetables grow like weed?

Kush Cough

Hey im a newbie trying to learn how to grow indoors. I just had an unsucessful grow in my cabinet where i burned my seedlings to death. I now want to perfect my growing cabinet before trying it again and losing more good seeds. So I was woundering if there is a vegetable that as a seedling would closley resembles marijuanas growing needs in regards to lighting and heat as that i can use for practice? any ideas

Basil! Normal basil I am Very Experienced with not lemon, purple, non of that I am skilled in just straight up.
Basil requires nutes identically (if scientifically possible) as Cannabis.
Basil thrives in same PH levels as Cannabis.
Basil flourishes in same light strengths (Lumen) as Cannabis.
Basil can be topped and FIM'ed as Cannabis.
Basil is great in pasta sauce,pesto,pizza topping AS CANNABIS.
dam-it now im hungry lol

rsz_1burn_victum.jpg
Here are some photos of my cabinet setup, In this first picture I have what I believe to be one of two little strawberry cough seedlings around 10 days old. They have been being burned either by heat, too much light, overwatering or some other noob mistake and are now on there way out. They have got a lot worse since I took this photo. I have just started using my nutes. I have Fox Farm Grow Big for my vegetative stage. I am only just starting to grow and my setup is an on going project. I have not bought my ph meter or thermometer yet and still have some reading up to do on PH meters. I am picking up more pieces for the grow as i read and learn from everyone here at 420. I have the seedlings growing in a peat based mix with perlite.
rsz_triple_light.jpg
In this second photo I have my new light setup. I changed from three 18 watt 23" T5's to these six fluorescents with 100 watts a piece.
setup111.jpg

Here in picture three you can see an overview of the whole setup and you can see that I mounted the three T5's on the cabinet side walls for side lighting.

Love1Fear I was just checking out your photo gallery and saw some pics of grows under cfls are those yours? have you flowered plants under cfls if so how were the buds from that grow?

I started growing with 400w hps, but had a problem keeping the heat down. A few grows later I used CFL's and had a good grow, but not as much weight. I presently am using T-5's and am looking forward to seeing the results. On my CFL grow, I used an old bathroom light with sockets for 6 bulbs which I put the Y-sockets in giving me 12 bulbs. I had no complaints, but just wanted to try something different.

Ya if u saw my plant pics then they r all 100% cfl seed to grow.
My last grow was from 3 plants I think or 2, and After they cured it filled a gallon pickel jar and a 2 pint air sealed glass jar.
So ya fun times and this grow I bought a T5 2foot blaze strip, like urs heh

Herb Fellow and Love1Fear thanks for the advice on cfl. Tommorow im going to put cfl lights into my cabinet as its empty now and a good time to work on it. I was going to put eleven 100 watt florescent bulbs in rather than the six you see in the photos above good idea or bad? On another note since I did so poorly on my first seedling grow i purchased the Hot house Hydrofarm today for cloning and germinating. Two of its main features are its large humidity dome and a heating pad. I also built a very crappy sort of grow box with the T5's to house the Hydrofarm. I used some Clonex and took some clones from my outdoor plants which are just beginning to flower. Some clones I took were from plants still in the vegetative stage but I also took some other clones from plants with immature flowers. Any opinion on if clones taken from early flowering plants will grow roots?Ok well ill post photos of all this later tonight when the camera is charged.:peacetwo:

I think you have a good chance that all the clones will root. I grow 12/12 from seed and when I take clones, the sex has already been revealed. No problem.

...ill have to get some basil to help me get my green thumb

Growing Basil might be an interesting side trip, but if your goal is to be able to grow good Marijuana, practice growing Marijuana.

MJ seeds can be expensive, (or free) but you might actually get some smoke as well as a learning experience.

If you grow Basil, you can make a good pizza sauce.

Basil! Normal basil I am Very Experienced with not lemon, purple, non of that I am skilled in just straight up.
Basil requires nutes identically (if scientifically possible) as Cannabis.
Basil thrives in same PH levels as Cannabis.
Basil flourishes in same light strengths (Lumen) as Cannabis.
Basil can be topped and FIM'ed as Cannabis.
Basil is great in pasta sauce,pesto,pizza topping AS CANNABIS.
dam-it now im hungry lol

Damn Straight! I have been growing and breeding for 25yrs+ and KNOW this to be true. I have made electricity money and more from distributing Basil within ethnic communities and establishments. A true gem, also Lemon and other varities of Basil can also thrive with the exact same nute routine and Ph levels.

++REP
Great Advice :welldone::goodjob::adore::adore::laugh:

Thanks for all your input here are the photos of the Hot House Hydrofarm in my ghetto clone/germinating grow box. Let me know what can be improved.

Picture 1:Here is outside the box I know it sucks but I hope it will work for my cloning and germinating at least for my first few grows.
outside_box.jpg

Picture 2:here is inside with one pink light on. this is how it is being run now since im afraid turning on all three T5 23'' 18 watt bulbs will fry the clones? i was going to gradually over the next few days ease them into more light by turning on the other T5's.
rsz_1one_light.jpg

Picture 3: Heres the lights lite up. All three T5's keep in mind I am only running the center pink, as to not fry these clones like i did my seedlings, is this stupid?
lights_lite.jpg

Picture 4:This is how mch humidity the dome is gathering(i have no humidity gauge yet) does this look right? Because I can change the humidity. The Hydrofarm has an adustable humidity dial on the top of the dome i would post a picture but am posting so many already i feel bad.
rsz_humidity.jpg

Picture 5:What we've all been waiting for the clones!
rsz_flowering.jpg

Picture 6: Thank you all for your growing help. as you can see on the right side of the Hydrofarm im trying to clone a basil plant. also all around it I planted basil seeds to see if i have luck germinating seeds. But once I get sprouts im taking ptg701 advice and yanking the basil and planting all of ours favorite plant Marijuana.:bongrip:
Speaking of good seeds my next task is buying some seeds any suggestions on a good strain for my set up since you have all now seen it. im leaning towards skunk #1 since i like stinky bud. I really just need any easy to grow strain since im not to good at growing yet. I might need to turn this thread into a journal?
basil.jpg

The date in those pictures above is wrong I took them on I believe the 20th. How many of the above T5 bulbs do you all think I should be running for cloning/germinating. I placed an order for seeds to be planted after the basil sprouts. I got one of Dinafem Seeds Roadrunner Automatic Feminized along with ten regular KC Brains Northern Lights Special.
Any opinions or pics of grows of these strains let me know.

Re: do any vegetables grow like weed? MOLD

FUCK!
I just went to check on the clones and basil seeds to see if I had basil sprouts yet and to mist the clones which I do two or three times a day, and found mold on the side where I had planted the basil seeds. It is on a piece of wood chip that came in the peat based mix I used. The clones were on the left side of the Hydrofarm and the basil seeds on the right. There is a gap between the marijuana and basil seeds which has no soil. The side with the marijuana clones has no mold as the mold is only in one slot on the basil seed side. Are all the clones trash. What did I do wrong to cause this? Above are the photos, is there to much humidity, not enough light, to much misting? Any help greatly appreciated:thanks:

I am not skilled in a grow box, but I think the humidity is way to high! I always grew in my basement in a hidden room. I keep the humidity level down. Maybe I am wrong. just my own opinion!

Thanks for your response knuckles. I read after finding the mold in a forum that I should be wiping down that dome every hour for the first 18 hours to keep it down? On the dome I have there is a humidity adjuster I will open it way more. Right now I was keeping it like barley open. On another note I was smoking some of this Butter kush I picked up and found a white immature seed. I through it in a cup of warm water with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide I hope it sprouts and am stoked to get my seeds I ordered.

Too wet.

Back
Top Bottom