Do I have to put the seed in the soil pointy side facing down?

Phillybonker

I know the pointy side of the seed is supposed to face down so the tap root can go straight down, and the end with the small circle has to face up, but this will be a pain in the ass trying to get this just right, so I have to ask, is it necessary to put the seed in the correct way up?

Why don't you pre soak them until they show the root .

Why don't you pre soak them until they show the root .
I'm uneasy with pre soaking, I'm worried something will go wrong or I'll damage the root during transplanting, I'm a bit clumsy like that.

I know the pointy side of the seed is supposed to face down so the tap root can go straight down, and the end with the small circle has to face up, but this will be a pain in the ass trying to get this just right, so I have to ask, is it necessary to put the seed in the correct way up?
No. The seedling will figure it out. I usually just plant them on their side which I figure actually helps the seedling lever off the seed coat so I don't get helmet head.

If you're going to try directing it, pointy side goes up. See here

No. The seedling will figure it out. I usually just plant them on their side which I figure actually helps the seedling lever off the seed coat so I don't get helmet head.

If you're going to try directing it, pointy side goes up. See here

The information I read said pointy side down, but your link with the pics makes more sense. I'm going to try do that, my shaky hands and buttery fingers are going to make it challenging, but lets see how I go.

Put them in the ground, really doesn't make any difference which direction, look at seeds in the wild, do they always fall pointy side down? Do only seeds that fall pointy side down germinate? No! People make germinating and growing weed much more difficult than it needs to be.

The information I read said pointy side down, but your link with the pics makes more sense. I'm going to try do that, my shaky hands and buttery fingers are going to make it challenging, but lets see how I go.
Try a pair of tweezers. You can make an oversized hole, drop it in there and then adjust it with the tweezers or a chopstick or pencil or something.

People make germinating and growing weed much more difficult than it needs to be.
Some of it is understandable with the cost of seeds approaching ridicules prices.

And there is the fear of being busted that kept many growers from talking about their growing experiences. How often did we hear or read something like "tell no one" or "do not talk about growing" which slows down the exchange of information and easy-to-grow techniques.

As for the cost of seeds, it probably will drop drastically with continued legalization (adding Ohio since yesterday's voting) when the large scale commercial seed companies start growing acres and acres of plants just to produce specific strains.

Put them in the ground, really doesn't make any difference which direction, look at seeds in the wild, do they always fall pointy side down? Do only seeds that fall pointy side down germinate? No! People make germinating and growing weed much more difficult than it needs to be.

This this this.

Throw the seed in the medium.. any direction, and you’re done.. I’ve had a 99% success rate doing this with every plant I’ve ever grown.

Stop washing them, soaking them, using tweezers, gloves, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, it’s all ludicrous. Plants grow best in blood, bones and poop, all the things we’re made of. Messing around with the seed, soaking it, trying to plant it special, those are the things that are gonna screw your seeds up. These things have been around far longer than any of us, they know how to populate.

This this this.

Throw the seed in the medium.. any direction, and you’re done.. I’ve had a 99% success rate doing this with every plant I’ve ever grown.

Stop washing them, soaking them, using tweezers, gloves, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, it’s all ludicrous. Plants grow best in blood, bones and poop, all the things we’re made of. Messing around with the seed, soaking it, trying to plant it special, those are the things that are gonna screw your seeds up. These things have been around far longer than any of us, they know how to populate.
Wait, did you just say we're all full of shit?
So many likes lol.

Wait, did you just say we're all full of shit?
So many likes lol.
Not at all. 99% of the plant specie do not need all that fuss and bother, none of which will make it any more likely that the Cannabis seed will sprout.

The pre-soaking of the seed does not make it more likely that any particular seed is going to sprout. Soaking the seed does not speed up the amount of time it will take to germinate either. Soak it for 8 hours and put it in damp soil and the seed sprouts in two days for a total of 56 hours. Or put the seed in damp soil and it sprouts in 56 hours anyway.

Not at all. 99% of the plant specie do not need all that fuss and bother, none of which will make it any more likely that the Cannabis seed will sprout.

The pre-soaking of the seed does not make it more likely that any particular seed is going to sprout. Soaking the seed does not speed up the amount of time it will take to germinate either. Soak it for 8 hours and put it in damp soil and the seed sprouts in two days for a total of 56 hours. Or put the seed in damp soil and it sprouts in 56 hours anyway.
I'm bad at jokes.

Agree with this, straight into pre moistened soil.

I didn't get it. Maybe the arthritis attack was destroying my train of thought.

And then the 3 hours in urgent care did not help either so on my way to lay down.

I said that we are made of blood, bones, and poop. @Sunasun then riffed on the poop portion with a “full of shit” joke

I like to germinate in my vertical germinator. When I plant the sprout in dirt I've found the best method is to take a butter knife and stick it in the soil to the depth the tap root has plus a little more. I move the knife sideways each way a little to have enough room to slip the tap root in and once it's in I push the dirt back together like a dirt envelope.

Vertical Germinator
vert germ sprouts top.JPG
vert germ sprouts.JPG

I like to germinate in my vertical germinator. When I plant the sprout in dirt I've found the best method is to take a butter knife and stick it in the soil to the depth the tap root has plus a little more. I move the knife sideways each way a little to have enough room to slip the tap root in and once it's in I push the dirt back together like a dirt envelope.

Vertical Germinator
vert germ sprouts top.JPG
vert germ sprouts.JPG
Interesting, first time I've heard of a vertical germinator.

Back
Top Bottom