Do timers really use this much power?

Reptilian

HI guys I have been trying to figure out how much power my room is consuming. I assumed the timer would be next to nothing but when I looked at the specs on the back I almost fell over. It says it's 15 amps and 1725 w. So I did the same calculations I did for the lights and the fans and it tells me that my timer is costing more than the lights and fans put together. I did the figures 3 times because I thought I was doing something wrong but I keep getting the same number of 120.00 per month
Friggin crazy right. So I thought I would ask some of you and see your thought's on this. Would a digital timer use less energy??? My 2 600w lights are only costing me 41.00 a month running 12/12. How could this little timer be 3 times that. Thanks in advance everyone. Take care,be safe and happy gardening.:thanks::peace:

It can't use that much. The extra has to be a mistake in the calculations somehow. I have a little meter called a Kill-a-watt which I can run any appliance through and it tells me how much power it uses- it's handy for peace of mind when loading up the circuits.

edit- I reread. I must have really skimmed that one. I thought you said that you were using 1725 watts, and blamed most of that power use on the timer. It's as TF said.

That's how much the timer is rated to handle. You'll find similar ratings printed on light bulb sockets. I think it's a little different when the device is a receptacle meant to supply power to another device.

To measure the electric output of the device itself you could plug a Kill-A-Watt meter in between it and the wall ( make sure there is nothing plugged into the timer) to see how much it uses, but I am guessing that it uses no more than a wall-clock so you'd probably have to have it plugged in for quite a while to register even a watt. In other words it's probably pretty negligible, even more so if you're using a digital timer which has no motor.

Thanks for the input guys. It didn't make sense that it would be using that much but it didn't specify that it was max load so I wasn't sure.

FWIW, I measured my regular ol' "security timer" and it went back and forth between 1W and 2W on my meter.

Back
Top Bottom