Dro’s Top-Feed DWC Green Crack Fem & Northern Lights Auto Journal, 2019

Dro

Strain: Green Crack Feminized, Northern Lights Auto
Both Hybrids
Seed Germination
Indoor Tent 4x4x6
Top Feed DWC 30 Gallon tub but will move them to individual 5 Gallon buckets when roots are longer
LED Betsva 1200W
Tent Temp 77-81F
Tent RH: 34%
6.1pH water temp 70F

First time growing inside using hydroponics. I don’t have a good track record growing anything besides some good tomatoes and that is pure luck and some automated watering system. I can’t say I am handy but I like learning and tinkering with things. Long time Cannabis advocate and user. I have seen the great things that it can do for people and I enjoy it quite a bit. I am stoked that I am allowed to grow it legally and my wife has allowed me to pursue this “project”.

Day 1.
Set GC seeds from MSNL in water for 8hrs. Insert them in rapid rooter and follow xlr8 procedure.
Water temp climbed a bit overnight to 73F. pH up to 6.5. This heater is too much for it even at its lowest setting. Need to be able to control it for better temp hold. Max tent temp reached 84F and RH stayed at 34% even though humidifier was going full blast all night..
Turned heater off and left humidifier ON all day to get RH up.
End of day check shows: Water temp 70F, pH 6.4, RH 64% and tent temp 77F.

I hoping these seeds germinate… If not I will have to try the paper towel method. Still waiting on the auto northern lights seeds to arrive so I can add 2 more and have a smaller yield quicker so I can get some gratification.

2 Major things that I need to complete ASAP.
  1. I need to run some plumbing closer to the tent as hauling 5 gallons of water up and down will get old very quick.
  2. I need to find a way to monitor, log and potentially control the humidifier and heater. Drives me crazy I don't know the status of the tent and plants but I am cheap!

Hope to see some of the master growers providing some feedback throughout this grow.

First set of pictures courtesy of today's drink. Cinna-gram on french toast, very good stout and pairs well with first time growing!

Attachments

• Day1b.jpg
    Day1b.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Day1s.jpg
    Day1s.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Day1p.jpg
    Day1p.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 263
Day 2 1/25/19
Checked temps, humidity and water condition in the morning. pH at 6:45, Water temp 67.4 and the tent temp was 72 with 40%RH. I noticed the rapid rooters were getting a bit too wet on the bottom so I turned off the top feed pump. WIll turn it back on once I have a seedling. Started to play around with the heater at its lowest setting and exhaust fan speed so I can get a better temp closer to 75-77 range.

Work was a bit slow today so I had a chance to figure out a way to log and monitor my climate from my phone or any computer without paying a crazy amount of money. As I mentioned before, I do a lot of tinkering and had some wifi microcontroller boards (Wemos D1 mini) laying around. I did some digging and found some old temp sensors (DHT22) that monitor Temp and Humidity. I hooked it all up in a breadboard to test it out and the sensor works very well. I compared my measurements with two other off the shelf sensors and it was spot on. I then programmed the microcontroller to send notifications to an open source server called Adafruit IO. From there it was just as easy as drag and drop and a cool little dashboard was created! Pm if you are interested in more details about this. I am already looking at cases for it and ideas to add solid state relays to control my heater and humidifier.

On some other news, Auto northern lights seeds from cropkingseeds came in today, was pleasantly surprised to see 3 extra seeds. Put 2 in water for a few hours and then added to a wet rapid rooter. I hope these germinate without any problems too.

Pictures of today’s events comes courtesy of M-43. One of the best new england IPAs in michigan.
Day2b.jpg

Day2sensor.jpg

tent dashboard 1'.jpg

Day 2 1/25/19
Checked temps, humidity and water condition in the morning. pH at 6:45, Water temp 67.4 and the tent temp was 72 with 40%RH. I noticed the rapid rooters were getting a bit too wet on the bottom so I turned off the top feed pump. WIll turn it back on once I have a seedling. Started to play around with the heater at its lowest setting and exhaust fan speed so I can get a better temp closer to 75-77 range.

Work was a bit slow today so I had a chance to figure out a way to log and monitor my climate from my phone or any computer without paying a crazy amount of money. As I mentioned before, I do a lot of tinkering and had some wifi microcontroller boards (Wemos D1 mini) laying around. I did some digging and found some old temp sensors (DHT22) that monitor Temp and Humidity. I hooked it all up in a breadboard to test it out and the sensor works very well. I compared my measurements with two other off the shelf sensors and it was spot on. I then programmed the microcontroller to send notifications to an open source server called Adafruit IO. From there it was just as easy as drag and drop and a cool little dashboard was created! Pm if you are interested in more details about this. I am already looking at cases for it and ideas to add solid state relays to control my heater and humidifier.

On some other news, Auto northern lights seeds from cropkingseeds came in today, was pleasantly surprised to see 3 extra seeds. Put 2 in water for a few hours and then added to a wet rapid rooter. I hope these germinate without any problems too.

Pictures of today’s events comes courtesy of M-43. One of the best new england IPAs in michigan.
Day2b.jpg

Day2sensor.jpg

tent dashboard 1'.jpg
I am not worthy ! WOW!
I'm in for the ride :)

Day3-5 Update

I have been monitoring and tweaking temps and humidity over the weekend to get the best growing climate with what I got. I was becoming very frustrated as I could not fine tune it but I have moved on and will accept some of the ranges the temp goes (72-78F) and humidity (55-65). Hopefully the plants like this weather...

Finally today on day 5 I got a little green crack seedling coming out to check out her new house! The other GC shows no sign of growth... And the other 2 auto NL have not done much yet.

I am happy at least one is starting to grow! Hopefully the other ones come up.

This weekend progress update brought to you by Ascension brewery Sleeper Simulant double dry hopped sour IPA. Very good beer with faint hints of citrus and tart finish.
germination.jpg

GC_Seed1.jpg

dataD5.jpg

A couple questions to the master growers.

1. When do I start the 18/6 light cycle? When they grow their first real leaves or at an arbitrary time frame after germination?

2. When do I start feeding the nutrients? The schedule that I have shows second week but it doesn't take into account when plants became seedlings...

Any help @Pennywise or other growers?

Little one looks great Dro !! Congrats its always great to see green. Ever look into a electrical socket thermostat, I was looking into it to run my fan. Have it set so the fans only on when its to hot would help regulate your environment. As for lights are you doing 18/6 to save power ?? Im personally doin 24/0 the whole Veg.

Everything I read say that Veg growth starts as soon as you get the first new leaf growth, so I'm thinking second week after germination would be about the right time depending on how the plant grows. Thats about when I'm going to start, but it might be a little different for Hydro depending on root growth. Vary interested to see what the masters think.

Great Work ! :bravo::welldone:

Your temps and RH are good, right where they need to be. 18/6 will continue for at least a month of veg. If you’re in coco or hydro you can start them on 1/4 strength nutes with the first set of true leaves.

Thanks @IrishThumb, most grow journals and info that I read recommended 18-6 schedule so I was going by that. Some believe it helps the plant have a break. Don't have the data to back this up so I will do what most do. 24-0 would work for me too since I have 2 auto growing that should be done in 8 weeks right before I start the GC flowering stage.

@Pennywise I am in hydro dwc so I will start the 1/4 when I see the first set of true leaves. Thanks!

I've been reading The Cannabis Grow Bible - Greg Green 3rd Edition. F@#kin amazing book, as with everything take it with a grain of salt. Or the Grower Handbook - David Robinson is the next I wanna purchase, written to give you info but let you expand from the book.

Day 9 2/1/19

Not much has happened over the past few days. The girls survived the polar vortex with a steady climate of 73-79F and 40-60 RH.

I checked the last GC seed and it never germinated so that's a bummer. I think I will have my hands full with 1 photo and 2 autos.

Today's pictures are courtesy of Electron Brown. Fantastic espresso bean double brown ale beer to warm up in this fridgid temps!

Question: Do you guys think the plants are ready for 1/4 dose of nutrients? Or should I wait 1 more week? The green crack roots are all the way to the water now but the two northern lights are not there yet. Let me know what you guys think!

GCb.jpg
GCroot.jpg
NL1_9.jpg
NL_2-9.jpg

During the week I ordered some waterproof sensors (ds18b20) from amazon so I can monitor the water temp now that the seedlings are growing roots. Today I had some free time in the morning so I hooked it all up to a larger breadboard so I can test it. I am able to track the temp through my phone still so I am pleased with it so far. I will have to put all of circuitry in an enclosure soon so the components are not so exposed.

Here are some pics. Still debating on whether or not to feed then 1/4 nutes starting today. @Pennywise what do you think ?
tent.jpg
waterTemp.jpg
dashWaterTemp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom