Green Mountain Girl's 1st Grow

Yesterday the big girls in the Veg tent got watered. Their little sisters are all getting theirs today. I am surprised with the two largest in the solo cups because they both took 3 days to consume there last feeding and that’s pretty much the same for the other much smaller ones. Hmm....

I’ve topped all of the larger plants and they haven’t really seemed to be bothered by it. Except the one northern light auto in the bunch. But she’s now bounced back and is growing super strong it seems.

I hope everyone is well and your gardens growing healthy.

Attachments

• BC1EBB1A-0518-40B6-862C-2696C2D24AB6.jpeg
    BC1EBB1A-0518-40B6-862C-2696C2D24AB6.jpeg
    733.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 3BAF985A-86E0-4839-9580-6B1DBC1E8D11.jpeg
    3BAF985A-86E0-4839-9580-6B1DBC1E8D11.jpeg
    679.6 KB · Views: 85
  • C0948A62-B38B-4062-90DE-D87CA40F39F5.jpeg
    C0948A62-B38B-4062-90DE-D87CA40F39F5.jpeg
    865.3 KB · Views: 90
Tomorrow morning will be day 14 of flower for the crown royals in the 5x5 and I haven’t really seen any stretch like I’ve read about. I’ve been really worried that burning them the way I did in week one had set them back pretty far....

I just finished my last rounds and making sure all is as it should be before saying goodnight and tucking them in for the night. I peeked my head in and to my surprise one of the plants had stretched noticeably from even just this aftnoon!

So it seems that they will get bigger and stretch more than I thought now! Wow. I wonder actually now how tall they might get before their done?!

VT attracts people from all over for its beauty and the people there are so inventive and fun. Willy got it right!
I wish Willy would come visit VT. My wife's been bugging me for decades to take her to see Willy Nelson, but we never see him touring up this way. I think she imagines herself sitting around with Willy burnin' a fatty.

Garden's looking good Angela!

I wish Willy would come visit VT. My wife's been bugging me for decades to take her to see Willy Nelson, but we never see him touring up this way. I think she imagines herself sitting around with Willy burnin' a fatty.

Garden's looking good Angela!

Thank you Mo!

Don’t we all wish we could fire a fatty up with Willy?! Haha! Bucket list item for sure! Maybe we all can get a chance to see him if he ever comes to any of the music festivals around! One can hope. :) Have a great Friday with the wife Mo!

I'm doin ok I hope you are as well. I remember my first grow it started off pretty bad I was tryin a hydro grow long story short I got root rot the water temps got too high with no money to buy a chiller I moved to soil. I had some pretty good success. until the last soil grow I did I was overwatering and I got Thrips. I decided it was time to change. I changed to Coco scrubbed the room and washed all the pots with bleach. I had the most successful grow ever 3 lbs from 8 plants
I'm now on my second grow in Coco and in a new grow room. I find it amazing how addictive growing is from the sounds of it I think you may have caught the bug as well. I grow for medical reasons. I had cancer but caught it early enough that I am now cancer free using cannabis as a medicine. My wife also uses cannabis to control her Crohns / IBS. Sorry for rambling but cannabis is such an amazing plant it's hard not to.

I'm doin ok I hope you are as well. I remember my first grow it started off pretty bad I was tryin a hydro grow long story short I got root rot the water temps got too high with no money to buy a chiller I moved to soil. I had some pretty good success. until the last soil grow I did I was overwatering and I got Thrips. I decided it was time to change. I changed to Coco scrubbed the room and washed all the pots with bleach. I had the most successful grow ever 3 lbs from 8 plants
I'm now on my second grow in Coco and in a new grow room. I find it amazing how addictive growing is from the sounds of it I think you may have caught the bug as well. I grow for medical reasons. I had cancer but caught it early enough that I am now cancer free using cannabis as a medicine. My wife also uses cannabis to control her Crohns / IBS. Sorry for rambling but cannabis is such an amazing plant it's hard not to.
Makes ya want to slap the people that just refuse to listen huh!

Great to here that we can always bounce back. Life is full of regressions it’s the only way I’ve actualmy learned to make progress both inside and outside the garden. I’m sorry to hear about your struggles with cancer I lost my mom nine years ago to pancreatic cancer and my dad has been in remission for kidney cancer for the last eleven. I also use this amazing medicinal plant to help with several physical and mental health issues I have suffered from over the years. I love to ramble so don’t ever be sorry for talking passionately about what you love! Happy weekend to you SoG!

Good day gardeners! Happy to report all is smooth sailing right now in both veg and flower tents. * claps and does a little jump*

Watering day came for everyone today. I let the girls in the flower tent go overnight just to be sure. No complaints spotted this afternoon when I got downstairs to make my rounds.

So since I don’t have any big things to report... I’ll leave you with some updated pictures. Happy gardening to you all!

Attachments

• 4C1B302D-E75A-4C67-9FC6-99F973C5B435.jpeg
    4C1B302D-E75A-4C67-9FC6-99F973C5B435.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DFC8B59B-77F5-4D95-905B-8778280DA10E.jpeg
    DFC8B59B-77F5-4D95-905B-8778280DA10E.jpeg
    749.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 5EA4A27A-3CD3-4EED-98DF-3A599D6B9C42.jpeg
    5EA4A27A-3CD3-4EED-98DF-3A599D6B9C42.jpeg
    762.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 98527539-17F7-4E7A-A8B9-1324AC4E5E56.jpeg
    98527539-17F7-4E7A-A8B9-1324AC4E5E56.jpeg
    852.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 18F153A0-DEB3-4DEE-B1A2-A39BA3295282.jpeg
    18F153A0-DEB3-4DEE-B1A2-A39BA3295282.jpeg
    604.1 KB · Views: 84
  • D0152336-4D44-4CF4-A4C8-B2134906E2E0.jpeg
    D0152336-4D44-4CF4-A4C8-B2134906E2E0.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 84
  • CC1931B9-D523-453B-989C-220E724624BA.jpeg
    CC1931B9-D523-453B-989C-220E724624BA.jpeg
    628 KB · Views: 76
  • C5483656-E4E8-4EB6-99EF-6FC75A3DABE0.jpeg
    C5483656-E4E8-4EB6-99EF-6FC75A3DABE0.jpeg
    804.2 KB · Views: 78
  • E4B4E2D3-AD13-4B53-A9BA-B2A8E60C32FE.jpeg
    E4B4E2D3-AD13-4B53-A9BA-B2A8E60C32FE.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 6EB28098-1DF4-427B-96C4-C0877481D82C.jpeg
    6EB28098-1DF4-427B-96C4-C0877481D82C.jpeg
    538.5 KB · Views: 73
Looking great Angela everyone seems happy. Knocking it out of the park for a 1st time grow. :blunt:

Hey Kismet! Thank you so much! All the help I’ve found here at 420Mag has been absolutely priceless! I don’t think I will ever stop growing now! I hope you’re doing well and starting out your week on a good note!

Happy middle of the week to you!
Just jumping in to say, yay all my girls in the veg tent have reached their one gallon pots and I have a feeling next week we will have a few girls that will be ready for their 3 gallon homes!

My basement is getting suuuuuper smelly from the CR blooming like crazy. I have them in 5 gallon bags and they are almost on a daily watering schedule. I feel like I’m pushing them going 2 full days now. What size bags/pots do you all finish in? I have a feeling this next time around I’m going to be getting up to the 7 gallon size or 10... but maybe 10 is too much for indoors?

Also anyone heard of this “Autoflower Day” on 3/20? I’m thinking about joining in the fun and putting some of the seeds I purchased from CKS down that day. Anyone else doing the same?

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their week! Have a great day!

Attachments

• 4243E241-1A92-4DB9-850B-314F76E42F52.jpeg
    4243E241-1A92-4DB9-850B-314F76E42F52.jpeg
    668.5 KB · Views: 69
  • A0AA72B4-4CE4-4933-829C-FAE255136284.jpeg
    A0AA72B4-4CE4-4933-829C-FAE255136284.jpeg
    713.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 2AD168AE-DA07-473B-A553-2805116407D5.jpeg
    2AD168AE-DA07-473B-A553-2805116407D5.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 71
What size bags/pots do you all finish in? I have a feeling this next time around I’m going to be getting up to the 7 gallon size or 10... but maybe 10 is too much for indoors?

I'm using 7's now. I've used 10's, but for me, those seem more suited to running just 2 plants in a 4x4 tent. The plants can get really big in 10's. Which is OK if you've got a big enough tent!

Your plants are looking super healthy!

I generally grow in anywhere from a 4 gallon (small quick flips) up to 15 gallon pots. I got a bigger tent now so I am going to take it up to a 25 gallon pot on one strain just to see how it goes.

If height is an ongoing issue going forward.....training will be more helpful than pot size. Start them low and spread them wide and then when you are ready to flip, up pot to the final container and give it a couple days and flip her. Training is your best friend for growing indoors.

@MotaFina I was thinking 7s would probably be my sweet spot. The flower tent is 5x5x6.5 so big but not huge. My veg tent is a 4x4x6. Thank you complimenting the girls. It’s all then I just get to tell them how pretty they are haha!

@SOG001 Your room is aaaaaaaamazing!!!! Can’t belibe how tall that one is in the back! Wow lets out a whistle I can see height being an issue for sure bc tent is only 6ft tall.

@Van Stank Height is going to kill me in the 5x5 for sure. I really am going to need some updates on the 25 gallon grow! Wow can’t wait to see it. I really do need to try some training I’m just really timid about it bc I tent to snap a lot of branches sometimes and so I am afraid to break them when tying them down. I need to just not worry so much and take my chances.

One thing I always recommend to growers, especially new ones is to not be timid with the plant. You would be amazed at what this plant can take. Its called "weed" for a reason. Your plants actually grow stronger from stimulation and training. Your plant starts out as a wet noodle really. Its up to mother nature...or if you grow indoors "You" for the stimulation it needs to get strong.

Lots of ways to replicate mother nature in your tent. Take that seedling everyone loves to coddle for example. Know what I do to mine? I grow in solo cups to start out with....so I shake it. Start out slow and gentle and observe how she sways and then increase your tempo. You are simulating wind. The plant, like a person, only gets stronger when it is stimulated or stressed and then the plant, or in our cases its our muscles, get stronger in a means to protect itself from that sort of stress/stimulation.

So what then? You have to keep pushing the plant. Again I understand the apprehension in doing it...but if you think about plants similar to people in the manner I used it above, you can see how that sort of training/simulation/stress needs to happen. But I can assure you that if you don't these sorts of things, your plants are going to be far weaker than if you did nothing to them.

Can you still grow good plants by doing nothing? Sure! People do it all the time with good genetics. But not every plant is a superstar. We can help ourselves a lot by doing just little things (shaking plants when they are young and through out growth). I still shake my medium and large plants through most of their like...certainly all the way through the stretch. If I did everything correctly, and the genetics allow it, most of the plants are strong enough to support itself with only a bambo stake on the bigger colas. Some strains, sativas specifically, are just going to struggle to support themselves indoors throughout the grows.

Additional training like topping, mainlining, quadlining, Scrog, supercropping, etc, will all lead to stronger plants and when done correctly (and all other factors are equal) will generally lead to larger yields as well. But I would be remiss if I didn't stress ROOTS, ROOTS, ROOTS above all else as what should be your top priority in veg (training comes when you start getting great roots) especially if you are growing in soil.

I know it is long winded...but the ultimate point is push yourself as a grower (if you are all interested in that sort of thing...I know I like to push myself at anything I do, I always want to get better) which sometimes means stepping out of our comfort zone, and push the plants we are growing (at least to the point you have a good idea of what she is capable of handling). Then you can kind of find your comfort zone. Many growers on here were scared to top their first plants. Took some convincing to get them to even attempt it Now they love training plants out beyond what they ever thought possible for themselves.

I don't like to go crazy on every plant I grow. Sometimes I just want to let one go naturally or maybe top once and let her go. Now when I see a plant with specific structure, I have a good idea what I want to do with her training wise and how I want to see her grow out. Again these are amazingly resilient plants. I had a week old rooted clone that I dropped my cell phone one (hit edge first) and broke the clone in two places, somehow the breaks were in successive nodes but going the opposite direct (think of a Z shape break). I have no idea how it managed to break that way....but I never throw a plant away without giving it a fighting chance (not sure if you are familiar with Jerry Clower...hes an older southern comedian...but I adopted it from him). I took a 10" bamboo skewer and managed to somehow prop the plant back up with enough pressure on both breaks to be stable and look like it might have a shot at healing. That was back in August. That plant is just now finally hitting its stride (I had plenty of room so it wasn't a big deal to have it just sit in a corner and slowly heal itself. That plants main structure is looking awesome despite her accident. Like I said before, you will be amazed at what these plants are capable of taking from us (or mother nature...how do you think trees stand those wind gusts they do!). Sorry for the long winded reply (I blame the big bowl I smoked 5 minutes before I sat down to respond) LOL..

Back
Top Bottom