Ok the product he gave me to try was called Chito Sal, I have not used it because I have not looked into if it is organic or not and I doubt it is. "Chitsal is a plant based amendment specially developed to improve plant vigor. Derived from natural sources of oligochitosan and sallcin two powerful positive plant effectors."

natural chitosan sources are oyster shell flour, crustacean meal, insect frass, mealworms…

Ohhh. Cool. So I already have that in my grow.
I am going from memory, but the above sources all provide Chitin. And as Reave notes, it is already part of the Coots soil recipe, Coots also used diastatic malted barley to provide Chitinase which is the enzyme that helps break down the Chitin. I understood that the presence of Chitin makes the plant think there are some hardshell bugs about and as a response may make them produce more of the 'good stuff' to put off those hard shell bugs that it thinks it detected. I have been using dried shrimp from my previous grow (soaked/rinsed at few times first to remove any salt). I don't know what contribution it made but the grow went well, and I added more into the soil over this last winter too which my current plants seem to be good with it in.

I am going from memory, but the above sources all provide Chitin. And as Reave notes, it is already part of the Coots soil recipe, Coots also used diastatic malted barley to provide Chitinase which is the enzyme that helps break down the Chitin. I understood that the presence of Chitin makes the plant think there are some hardshell bugs about and as a response may make them produce more of the 'good stuff' to put off those hard shell bugs that it thinks it detected. I have been using dried shrimp from my previous grow (soaked/rinsed at few times first to remove any salt). I don't know what contribution it made but the grow went well, and I added more into the soil over this last winter too which my current plants seem to be good with it in.
But in the Coots mix, it is added to the mix before it cooks. It seems to me that this response should be specific to 7th week-ish, so I would understand a reaction if you top dressed with the stuff then, but having it in there from the beginning?? Dunno.

But in the Coots mix, it is added to the mix before it cooks. It seems to me that this response should be specific to 7th week-ish, so I would understand a reaction if you top dressed with the stuff then, but having it in there from the beginning?? Dunno.
Well it’s not a hot mix but I see what you are saying. I will try it in my next grow at the suggested application times. Be a better experiment with clones but I think I’m going to run 4 bubba hash x kali china from seed, so if they are similar we should still see a difference , what you think?

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest adding it around the 7th week, it isn't draught related. Only that it's presence in the soil is supposed to help the plant grow stronger as if there is hard shelled insects attacking it.

Well it’s not a hot mix but I see what you are saying. I will try it in my next grow at the suggested application times. Be a better experiment with clones but I think I’m going to run 4 bubba hash x kali china from seed, so if they are similar we should still see a difference , what you think?
Certainly clones will give you a better measure of the differences due just to the draughting. An increase in trichs that you think is due to draughting could just be a difference in the genetics expressed by the different seeds, but if that's what you got, then that's what you got.

We're not documenting things for some scientific paper, so maybe try to divide them as equally as you can and see what you see.

i used to try all kinds of stressors on the girls. a little drought here and there was always a part of my grows.

sometimes i even did it on purpose! :snowboating:

i used to try all kinds of stressors on the girls. a little drought here and there was always a part of my grows.

sometimes i even did it on purpose! :snowboating:
:rofl::rofl: what other stressors you got up tour sleeve there...just curious, your name have anything to do with the way you grow your plants lmao...stress the shit out em and let em ride without water, ever? Lol

:rofl::rofl: what other stressors you got up tour sleeve there...just curious, your name have anything to do with the way you grow your plants lmao...stress the shit out em and let em ride without water, ever? Lol
the much smaller, on-line growing community back in the 90s tried every trick the old timers used and some weird stuff. just some sites like - alt/marijuana - alt/marijuana growing, etc.

off the top of my hazy head

planting/harvesting according to the phases of the moon. not stressful but some swear by it.

twisting the hurd - basically twisting main branches until you feel the pop . this is the branch getting twisted and squeezed .

fire. yep, stress them with flames

nail through the stalk of the plant.

in flower, not watering until the leaves are pointing down and they have a few hours to live. then watering enough to bring back hope to the plants. then drought them again.

music - if calming music helps mello out humans and plants, lets play rock or classical. speaker into the grow room and crank it up.n

keeping in the dark for 24/48 hours or more before harvest.

weird stuff - feeding your plants with urine. outdoors only.

you must apologize to the ladies for this abuse.

more will come to me as i have some coffee. it was such fun when the actual weed forums were created, it was all text before this, and we could then post pictures.

the much smaller, on-line growing community back in the 90s tried every trick the old timers used and some weird stuff. just some sites like - alt/marijuana - alt/marijuana growing, etc.

off the top of my hazy head

planting/harvesting according to the phases of the moon. not stressful but some swear by it.

twisting the hurd - basically twisting main branches until you feel the pop . this is the branch getting twisted and squeezed .

fire. yep, stress them with flames

nail through the stalk of the plant.

in flower, not watering until the leaves are pointing down and they have a few hours to live. then watering enough to bring back hope to the plants. then drought them again.

music - if calming music helps mello out humans and plants, lets play rock or classical. speaker into the grow room and crank it up.n

keeping in the dark for 24/48 hours or more before harvest.

weird stuff - feeding your plants with urine. outdoors only.

you must apologize to the ladies for this abuse.

more will come to me as i have some coffee. it was such fun when the actual weed forums were created, it was all text before this, and we could then post pictures.
Some of those have become staples like supercropping, though that's typically used more like training to put the stems for the buds where you want them.

Urine is a good source of N. Just need to know the source is "clean" since you don't want a bunch of pharmaceuticals in the mix.

I've heard of the nail thing, but don't know anything about it. Have any background?

@bobrown14 uses the moon phases when sprouting seeds and harvesting if I recall correctly.

Fire?!??!! Yikes. That's seems like it presents all kinds of ways to go bad on you. :eek:

The dark thing seems still up for debate, whether it's a couple of days before flipping indoors, or right before harvest.

Interesting list. :goodjob:

Well I do the dark thing and because of Krissi starting this , my plant is ready for my liking to take another last drought in the dark for 36 hrs. Probably turn lights out on Sunday
D736E059-891E-437A-AA8A-68EAFD40DC0E.jpeg
FE4B5C7E-DE39-4949-9B25-5813108D8CD7.jpeg
2C8BAD12-55D6-4BA1-853D-4BD3500E5720.jpeg
32648AA6-EF84-4FA9-8605-208580DB3DED.jpeg
FD9E4F72-38D1-4490-940F-2B050748DEBF.jpeg
F499FD8E-CB6C-42E3-84CB-A4A0CB317032.jpeg
CDA13F43-C02D-4815-BC29-1A317B902DAA.jpeg
49ED1DAD-553D-4ED1-8453-322BA59E6387.jpeg

Well I do the dark thing and because of Krissi starting this , my plant is ready for my liking to take another last drought in the dark for 36 hrs. Probably turn lights out on Sunday
D736E059-891E-437A-AA8A-68EAFD40DC0E.jpeg
FE4B5C7E-DE39-4949-9B25-5813108D8CD7.jpeg
2C8BAD12-55D6-4BA1-853D-4BD3500E5720.jpeg
32648AA6-EF84-4FA9-8605-208580DB3DED.jpeg
FD9E4F72-38D1-4490-940F-2B050748DEBF.jpeg
F499FD8E-CB6C-42E3-84CB-A4A0CB317032.jpeg
CDA13F43-C02D-4815-BC29-1A317B902DAA.jpeg
49ED1DAD-553D-4ED1-8453-322BA59E6387.jpeg
very nice.

those leaves are all knarly. was that due to a natural death or did the ferts do some burning? crunchy leaves are to be pulled off and crunched up. feels good.

i'm about to switch to Prescription Blend nutes. looks like they did a good job ffor you. any other additives used?

very nice.

those leaves are all knarly. was that due to a natural death or did the ferts do some burning? crunchy leaves are to be pulled off and crunched up. feels good.

i'm about to switch to Prescription Blend nutes. looks like they did a good job ffor you. any other additives used?
I do the Emerson effect and add extra far red and uv to my grow. this droughting just confirmed what I was already doing but not to this extent. why I am so happy for this to be brought forth . what a great place to learn with great people only thing other than the script is terpinator . Absolutely LOVE @Prescription Blend Blend :passitleft::ganjamon: :Namaste::green_heart:

I do the Emerson effect and add extra far red and uv to my grow. this droughting just confirmed what I was already doing but not to this extent. why I am so happy for this to be brought forth . what a great place to learn with great people only thing other than the script is terpinator . Absolutely LOVE @Prescription Blend Blend :passitleft::ganjamon: :Namaste::green_heart:
How does the Emerson effect go ?

And what is the Emerson effect?
Apparently this:

Robert Emerson​

Pioneer of Photosynthesis Research​

Emerson was born in 1903 in New York City, the son of Dr. Haven Emerson, Health Commissioner of New York City, and Grace Parrish Emerson, the sister of Maxfield Parrish. Emerson was the brother of John Haven Emerson the inventor of the iron lung.
Emerson received a master’s degree in 1929 from Harvard, and received his doctorate from the University of Berlin working in the laboratory of Otto Warburg
Thomas Hunt Morgan invited him to join the Biology Division at the California Institute of Technology where he worked from 1930 to 1937, and again for a year in 1941 and 1945. From 1942 to 1945 he worked on producing rubber from the guayule shrub for the American Rubber Company.

What is the Emerson Effect?​

The Emerson effect, discovered by Robert Emerson is the increase in the rate of photosynthesis after chloroplasts are exposed to light of wavelength 680 nm (deep red spectrum) and more than 680 nm (far red spectrum).
When simultaneously exposed to light of both wavelengths, the rate of photosynthesis is far higher than the sum of the red light and far red light photosynthesis rates. The effect was early evidence that two photo-systems, processing different wavelengths, cooperate in photosynthesis.

When Emerson exposed green plants to differing wavelengths of light, he noticed that at wavelengths of greater than 680 nm the efficiency of photosynthesis decreased abruptly despite the fact that this is a region of the spectrum where chlorophyll still absorbs light (chlorophyll is the green pigment in plants – it absorbs mainly the red and blue wavelengths from light, leaving the green light to bounce back and hit our eyes). When the plants were exposed to short-wavelength light, (less than 660 nm), the efficiency also decreased. Emerson then exposed the plants to both short and long wavelengths at the same time, causing the efficiency to increase greatly. He concluded that there must be two different photosystems involved in photosynthesis, one driven by short-wavelength light and one driven by long-wavelength (PS1 and PS2). They work together to enhance efficiency and convert the light energy to forms that can be absorbed by the plant.
The light excites the chlorophyll molecules at the reaction centre and causes an increase in energy. As the molecule becomes less excited, its energy is transported through a chain of electron carriers to the next photosystem which does much the same thing and produces energy-carrying organic molecules.

Still don't understand it, but looks like a positive for the plants.

Something like by adding a deep red spectrum photosynthesis is greatly expanded above what it would be if it weren't included.

So, the question is, can this be had by a normal bulb we can get at the hardware store, or do you need some fancy led light?

I use a photo red puck , UV puck and deep red puck in addition to my budget 250/3 light in a 2x4 tent . The deep red does the Emerson effect for 20 mins after lights out . The UV comes on for twenty mins halfway thru my daily light cycle and the photo is on full time with the main light . These led's are already in my light , I just supplement them with these extras ! They aren't very pricy , $35 to $40 per puck. These are things I have learned about and applied to my grows from this Wonderfull Forum full of GREAT PEOPLE !:passitleft:JUST LIKE WE'RE DOIN NOW :yummy:

Apparently this:

Robert Emerson​

Pioneer of Photosynthesis Research​

Emerson was born in 1903 in New York City, the son of Dr. Haven Emerson, Health Commissioner of New York City, and Grace Parrish Emerson, the sister of Maxfield Parrish. Emerson was the brother of John Haven Emerson the inventor of the iron lung.
Emerson received a master’s degree in 1929 from Harvard, and received his doctorate from the University of Berlin working in the laboratory of Otto Warburg
Thomas Hunt Morgan invited him to join the Biology Division at the California Institute of Technology where he worked from 1930 to 1937, and again for a year in 1941 and 1945. From 1942 to 1945 he worked on producing rubber from the guayule shrub for the American Rubber Company.

What is the Emerson Effect?​

The Emerson effect, discovered by Robert Emerson is the increase in the rate of photosynthesis after chloroplasts are exposed to light of wavelength 680 nm (deep red spectrum) and more than 680 nm (far red spectrum).
When simultaneously exposed to light of both wavelengths, the rate of photosynthesis is far higher than the sum of the red light and far red light photosynthesis rates. The effect was early evidence that two photo-systems, processing different wavelengths, cooperate in photosynthesis.

When Emerson exposed green plants to differing wavelengths of light, he noticed that at wavelengths of greater than 680 nm the efficiency of photosynthesis decreased abruptly despite the fact that this is a region of the spectrum where chlorophyll still absorbs light (chlorophyll is the green pigment in plants – it absorbs mainly the red and blue wavelengths from light, leaving the green light to bounce back and hit our eyes). When the plants were exposed to short-wavelength light, (less than 660 nm), the efficiency also decreased. Emerson then exposed the plants to both short and long wavelengths at the same time, causing the efficiency to increase greatly. He concluded that there must be two different photosystems involved in photosynthesis, one driven by short-wavelength light and one driven by long-wavelength (PS1 and PS2). They work together to enhance efficiency and convert the light energy to forms that can be absorbed by the plant.
The light excites the chlorophyll molecules at the reaction centre and causes an increase in energy. As the molecule becomes less excited, its energy is transported through a chain of electron carriers to the next photosystem which does much the same thing and produces energy-carrying organic molecules.
@Emilya this may interest you? Are you adding red or uv i forget?

Back
Top Bottom