How about using less water per fertigation, or adding an extra day between waterings if you don't water every day? The study seems to suggest it is not only the amount of draught but the length of time it occurred over.

if i run the 2L buckets they are literally feathers dry every 24hrs in hempy during flower. so light they can't hold a plant upright. i've stretched it an extra 12hrs over night but they are super pissed when i do.

post 382, i am doing a test on my in veg hempy as we speak,,

i wont say there are answers in the past posts but there has been plenty of discussion,

i am going for 3.67 days till full wilt

and to be totally honest,, i wont get there,, cuz i know when my hempys get too dry, they lose leaves, and i dont want that, too much,, but i am going to push this test a bit,, to three days i think

but in a true drought, the next step after drought is harvest, so leaf loss is not a concern

How about less water more often? Say, 40% of the daily dose every 12hrs??

hempy is controlled by the res. you feed til 10% run off. the res only holds what it holds. in flower the res is nun's tit dry every 24hrs or less.

in veg you refresh the res every feeding, or run a gamut of ph issues. thems the choices.

hempy is controlled by the res. you feed til 10% run off. the res only holds what it holds. in flower the res is nun's tit dry every 24hrs or less.

in veg you refresh the res every feeding, or run a gamut of ph issues. thems the choices.
But don't you have a pretty good idea what the amount is in flower to get runoff? That's what I'm saying. Measure how much is needed to get runoff and base your draughting amount as some lesser percentage of that.

Didn't want to miss welcoming @bluter And @Emeraldo to this discussion. Thanks to @nivek for trying to get Bluter on board with a test-go lol @Azimuth I think has the best other medium ideas at the moment...always whipping something out from somewhere.

Emeraldo, thanks so much for that little bit on the violins! So interesting and definitely noteworthy!

Here is my droughted T Banana. It is 4' in 3gal plastic pot (sunshine #4 ) & was watering every 3 days
let it dry 4 days than bottom watered (make em work for it ) 4 days with just enough to keep it alive (5-6 liter down to .5 liter every 12 hr )
Gave them 3 liters last night & will be taking big leaves friday chop on weekend

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3175.JPG

But don't you have a pretty good idea what the amount is in flower to get runoff? That's what I'm saying. Measure how much is needed to get runoff and base your draughting amount as some lesser percentage of that.

in hempy you can pour 1L or 5000L through it. you still only get the same res volume.

the 10% run off rule is only to ensure your ph doesn't whack you. and that's really only relevant in veg when you are washing old res water out. in flower they've eaten it all long before you get there.

interesting point : i pretty much run a drought all through flower.

i could in theory feed multiple times per day as is the norm in coco, but i feed by weight.
by the second wk of flower the buckets are sucked dry every 24hrs, so i go to daily feeds. before that i wait an extra day or so between. sometimes longer. particularly in veg.

edit : what i teach is only feed when needed, and stretch it. i try and do the least work possible at the cheapest cost.

in hempy you can pour 1L or 5000L through it. you still only get the same res volume.

the 10% run off rule is only to ensure your ph doesn't whack you. and that's really only relevant in veg when you are washing old res water out. in flower they've eaten it all long before you get there.

interesting point : i pretty much run a drought all through flower.

i could in theory feed multiple times per day as is the norm in coco, but i feed by weight.
by the second wk of flower the buckets are sucked dry every 24hrs, so i go to daily feeds. before that i wait an extra day or so between. sometimes longer. particularly in veg.
I get that the rez is fixed. Let's say that your rez is measured to be 4 liters. If you water every day, and the plants drain it every day, even if you pour 10 liters thru it will only hold 4.

What I'm saying is in this example your plants are used to drinking 4 liters a day, and even that winds up being insufficient problably. So, instead of giving the 4 liters, give them 2 or 3. Still wets the roots keeping them alive, but gives them less than they are accustomed to, thereby eliciting the response. Maybe.

Of course, just spitballing here.

Here is my droughted T Banana. It is 4' in 3gal plastic pot (sunshine #4 ) & was watering every 3 days
let it dry 4 days than bottom watered (make em work for it ) 4 days with just enough to keep it alive (5-6 liter down to .5 liter every 12 hr )
Gave them 3 liters last night & will be taking big leaves friday chop on weekend

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3175.JPG
Gorgeous and great idea to bottom feed and have them search! She seems to have handled it well. I'm cutting down this weekend Aldo, G is in the dark now

I get that the rez is fixed. Let's say that your rez is measured to be 4 liters. If you water every day, and the plants drain it every day, even if you pour 10 liters thru it will only hold 4.

What I'm saying is in this example your plants are used to drinking 4 liters a day, and even that winds up being insufficient problably. So, instead of giving the 4 liters, give them 2 or 3. Still wets the roots keeping them alive, but gives them less than they are accustomed to, thereby eliciting the response. Maybe.

Of course, just spitballing here.

they're usually screaming for more not less. at some point they plateau and slow, or stop feeding altogether. that's finish. you could pump gallons at them and they won't eat.

trichs usually tell the story right along with it as well. not just in hempy. they do it other media as well.

It has been established that the famed violinmaker Stradivarius made his violins after a severe drought in the 17th century. The annual rings in the wood in those violins are very close together, giving the wood a resonance and strength that produces a rich, voluminous sound unsurpassed in quality. It's directly caused by the lack of water.

I don't know if there is a similar benefit to droughting in cannabis plants, but if there is, it ought to be measurable as a matter of objective fact.

It's a worthy topic. Am looking forward to hearing more.
I have a small sample cannabis example from my recent cloning experiment.

I wondered if keeping clones in a pampered environment would allow them to root easier and faster so I split them into two groups.

The first was my standard process, essentially under a misted dome for 3 days and then gradually weening them off over the next 4-5 days until they sit uncovered.

The second group was kept in the misted dome environment constantly except for a few minutes each day when I checked on them.

The first group rooted in the usual time. The misted dome group looked great, but apparently didn't feel the need to do much of anything until I took the dome off 10 days after the first group rooted. They clearly didn't root faster, and I got tired of waiting. Since the experiment wasn't to test how long they'd take to root under constantly moist conditions, I decided to move on with my life. So, that question will remain unanswered.

But clearly, these plants do seem to respond to a bit of stress in other areas, so why not in trichome production which they clearly use as a survival strategy.

they're usually screaming for more not less. at some point they plateau and slow, or stop feeding altogether. that's finish. you could pump gallons at them and they won't eat.

trichs usually tell the story right along with it as well. not just in hempy. they do it other media as well.
I'm starting to get the sense that you are not willing to risk your plants to answer our questions. :hmmmm: :rofl:

Doesn't perlite wick the water up to the roots that run through the perlite? If it doesn't then those roots would have air-dried already as you mentioned, and if does then can you water just enough to moisten the perlite and not fill the reservoir?
The first group rooted in the usual time. The misted dome group looked great, but apparently didn't feel the need to do much of anything until I took the dome off 10 days after the first group rooted.
As I recall, cuttings root because they are in search of water. If they get it through the leaves in a dome with high RH, they might never root!

As I recall, cuttings root because they are in search of water. If they get it through the leaves in a dome with high RH, they might never root!
Yeah, but they look GREAT!
:laugh:

I do think, however, that they take a few days to make the root nubs, so my theory was to keep them humid to give them a chance to regroup. I did just do major surgery on them after all.

I think I'll try another experiment just keeping the dome on for a day and then ween and see if that makes any difference.

Not all droughts are equal….

droughting large container vs small is way different in soil , hydroton versus hempy

just did 11 days on 30 gallon smart pot los and at end of drought I could still feel moisture when I plunged index finger down to my fist in the soil… yes it was damp…. so way different in 10 gallon versus 30 gallons.

Still say for hempy & dwc the roots will likely need to be moistened at some interval(s) to continue in the drought. maybe spray mist once every other day… but that’s where Nivek & Bluters skill at reading hempy chicks will prevail.

I don’t see spray mist roots as ending drought it’s more of a “keep alive” function but wtf do I know?

Doesn't perlite wick the water up to the roots that run through the perlite? If it doesn't then those roots would have air-dried already as you mentioned, and

it wicks, it doesn't retain.

if does then can you water just enough to moisten the perlite and not fill the reservoir?

that's just not advisable. they run so close to dry already in flower i don't think pulling any more back is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom