i dont agree with this yet

the length of time is key, imo, so far
I've done it the 11 days and down to 8...I've had more than fantastic results every time, my last 5 harvests

Fertigation was withheld from drought treatment until plant WP reached between −1.4 and −1.5 MPa.

tells me watering was switched off, totally

so how to mimic for ten days in hempy,, perhaps easy to do a few droughts near end of flower might benefit as well

or reduce the watering manually over a ten day period

Fertigation was withheld from drought treatment until plant WP reached between −1.4 and −1.5 MPa.

tells me watering was switched off, totally
No one wants to go past that 50% but the goal is 11 days, hence why I've stopped at 8 before...

I'm sure a shorter drought time would be more than sufficient given the hempy grow as Rexer noted as well earlier!!

i dont agree with this yet

the length of time is key, imo, so far
That's ok. It's a lot to take in, and I don't pretend to know or have all the answers.
But here's my understanding, the length (in the study) was based upon being done in soil, thus doesn't account for the lesser water retention in hydroton/perlite. Which is why instead, the Leaf Wilt Angle is used to determine the state/progress of the drought.

If you're interested, you can see and read on the conversations I had with Maritimer. It wasn't a properly done drought as it was closer to the chop, but it did bounce back a bit.
Post in thread 'Rex's Sponsored Test Of The ViparSpectra P4000 In A 4x4' Rex's Sponsored Test Of The ViparSpectra P4000 In A 4x4

There's the link for when the drought was started in my journal, hope it helps.

. Which is why instead, the Leaf Wilt Angle is used to determine the state/progress of the drought.

yes,, all good indeed

lots to say on the subject

more research,,

In the U of G study, wilting occurred after 11 days without water. The drought stress was gradual, allowing the plants to acclimate. Keep this time frame in mind when applying drought stress in your cultivation system—you may need to adjust environmental conditions, the growing media, or the pot size to get comparable results.

No one wants to go past that 50% but the goal is 11 days, hence why I've stopped at 8 before...

I'm sure a shorter drought time would be more than sufficient given the hempy grow as Rexer noted as well earlier!!

In the U of G study, wilting occurred after 11 days without water. The drought stress was gradual, allowing the plants to acclimate. Keep this time frame in mind when applying drought stress in your cultivation system—you may need to adjust environmental conditions, the growing media, or the pot size to get comparable results.

As you have done, and as nivek points out, it makes sense, when droughting that we need to be flexible as to how the plant is responding and adjust accordingly. Kaplan's study was in his conditions where temps/humidity/container would be unique to his grow. There are presumably various approaches yet to be evaluated, which makes it exciting.

I have had the pleasure of having real droughted buds. They were inadvertently droughted, but they remain the best smoke I have yet grown. Last year, I decided to take care of the soil by keeping the worms that lived there happy with regular waterings. The plants and resulting buds grew nice and gave a nice effect, but I was left a little curious when I compared to the previous year's grow of which I had purposively semi droughted in the later half of flowering. I had felt those buds may have been more potent than last year's non droughted grow.

But that first plant that grew droughted every hot day of summer in it's too small ceramic pot on a hot stone balcony, it's buds remain my best. It was a gnarly plant that gave less than 2oz, but truely wonderful, everyone who tried it commented so.

For growing outdoors, when it comes to droughting there is the occurence of natural rain to add to the equation. It seems we have to do enough to trigger that response and keep it going for a period to get the effects and then get it safely on to harvest. But yes, the different potential variations allow mouthwatering thoughts of how improved the potency could become.

I hope this makes some sense, it could now be the edible I took a while ago that is talking. :ganjamon:

I did...I caught up...feel better today. Better half has went downhill though...now he has been living in the bathroom on top of everything else he is feeling. Having him retest today for Covid smh
Poor baby, living in the bathroom...men need plenty of TLC when sick...good thing he has Dr. Krissi to the rescue. Earth Mother and Living Healer - be vigulent.

Poor baby, living in the bathroom...men need plenty of TLC when sick...good thing he has Dr. Krissi to the rescue. Earth Mother and Living Healer - be vigulent.
Yeah, cuz we ALL know that “man flu” is way worse than anything imaginable (at least thats what MY hubby claims!) ;)

Yeah, cuz we ALL know that “man flu” is way worse than anything imaginable (at least thats what MY hubby claims!) ;)
He's right...men revert to two y.o.'s when sick...women...well...women are expected to cure the sick, cure themselves and continue with domestic and child-rearing duties as usual. DANG...isn't being a guy GREAT! All the applause, none of the untidiness of modern life!

Ahoy there!
In nature the effects of drought are readily presented. As previously pointed out, numerous or even countless studies have documented the effects of drought on both agricultural crops and in nature. We have no argument with the science that supports these positions. This conversation relates directly to droughting cannabis intentionally, understanding what is about to happen and why. If the drought is applied at the wrong time in the plant’s life cycle or is not endured to the target 50% LWA change, the effects will be marginalized.

About droughting cannabis.
It does not take long for the lack of moisture to be detected by both the plant and the gardener tending her. The leaves begin to wilt, then even worse they begin to change colors and even fall off. Hold that thought about the leaves.

Early in the drought the sensory cells begin detecting a lack of moisture in the root zone and informing the genetic regulatory network GRN. This will be interpreted as a threat and monitored for worsening conditions, and the synthesis of abscisic acid (ABA) will rise accordingly.

As the drought worsens more and more reports of low moisture content are reported by more and more sensory cells and the general alarm is sounded. Rising levels of ABA will instigate stomatal closure to avert moisture loss and most transpiration will stop. The GRN as a function of strain DNA will apply species survival changes to positively affect reproduction probabilities. The survival of its kind is the only important thing by virtue of it’s own DNA. Leaves will begin to wilt and discolor, and all growth will have ceased. Additionally, the word that describes a plant’s posture is turgidness. The plant resources and energy it took to maintain turgid upright and perky leaves has now been redirected. Along with the discoloration of the leaves, the nutrients and enzymes stored in them are being self - cannibalized. Does not matter if she has root zone nutrients available, she will eat herself as a matter of instruction from the GRN. Simultaneously, the rising levels of ABA antagonize the JA pathways directly stimulating maximum oil production. The jasmonate pathways instruct the proteins building our essential oils, and as a noteworthy comment this resin is produced under a period of great stress and is combined and portioned in ways that positively affect user experience. Gram for gram unstressed resin will be outperformed by the stressed counterpart. Don’t care what strain, or how good your gardening skills are, if you drought her it will be better than if you don’t. Run some control plants to prove to yourself, but we have already done that bull for everybody. So did Kaplan.

All this time the plant thinks her flowers may contain viable seed stock, even if only a few. With this her only chance at species survival she will be producing essential oils utilizing redirected plant resources to coat the flowers protecting the seeds from drying out.

When you have observed 50% change in LWA from turgid readings compared to wilted measurements you fertigate the cultivar. The sensory cells will report the moisture to the GRN and the ABA levels will fall back to normal homeostasis. Most of the plants will recover fine. What you have just done is create a new resin of it’s own and you the medicinal consumer can expect complete satisfaction, or I will give you back your money. :love:
@nivek Is this the answer you were looking for?
That's ok. It's a lot to take in, and I don't pretend to know or have all the answers.
But here's my understanding, the length (in the study) was based upon being done in soil, thus doesn't account for the lesser water retention in hydroton/perlite. Which is why instead, the Leaf Wilt Angle is used to determine the state/progress of the drought.

If you're interested, you can see and read on the conversations I had with Maritimer. It wasn't a properly done drought as it was closer to the chop, but it did bounce back a bit.
Post in thread 'Rex's Sponsored Test Of The ViparSpectra P4000 In A 4x4' Rex's Sponsored Test Of The ViparSpectra P4000 In A 4x4

There's the link for when the drought was started in my journal, hope it helps.
You continue to rock! Thanks Rex!!
could you explain this please and thank you?
Refer to above note mentioned by Maritimer earlier in this thread, if you still have questions lmk!
As you have done, and as nivek points out, it makes sense, when droughting that we need to be flexible as to how the plant is responding and adjust accordingly. Kaplan's study was in his conditions where temps/humidity/container would be unique to his grow. There are presumably various approaches yet to be evaluated, which makes it exciting.

I have had the pleasure of having real droughted buds. They were inadvertently droughted, but they remain the best smoke I have yet grown. Last year, I decided to take care of the soil by keeping the worms that lived there happy with regular waterings. The plants and resulting buds grew nice and gave a nice effect, but I was left a little curious when I compared to the previous year's grow of which I had purposively semi droughted in the later half of flowering. I had felt those buds may have been more potent than last year's non droughted grow.

But that first plant that grew droughted every hot day of summer in it's too small ceramic pot on a hot stone balcony, it's buds remain my best. It was a gnarly plant that gave less than 2oz, but truely wonderful, everyone who tried it commented so.

For growing outdoors, when it comes to droughting there is the occurence of natural rain to add to the equation. It seems we have to do enough to trigger that response and keep it going for a period to get the effects and then get it safely on to harvest. But yes, the different potential variations allow mouthwatering thoughts of how improved the potency could become.

I hope this makes some sense, it could now be the edible I took a while ago that is talking. :ganjamon:
Could be but I don't think so. You make absolute sense and I am thankful for your input here and everywhere, as always, @Stunger!
My day has been non stop...and the kids that we were around this past weekend, the sister in-laws, who tested negative originally for covid, today tested positive...both kids so odds are not in my favor as tribute would say
He is bad off...never gets sick but yes it's the end of the world...he needs to retest tomorrow...pray Mother Earth fends off the demons and thank her that our plants cant contract it!
He's right...men revert to two y.o.'s when sick...women...well...women are expected to cure the sick, cure themselves and continue with domestic and child-rearing duties as usual. DANG...isn't being a guy GREAT! All the applause, none of the untidiness of modern life!
Congratulations on being worthless Charlie...cheers to being a male! Hahahahaja absolutely kidding!!! Men contribute in just as many ways as women...you too, are resilient and an Earth Father

Refer to above note mentioned by Maritimer earlier in this thread, if you still have questions lmk!

Could be but I don't think so. You make absolute sense and I am thankful for your input here and everywhere, as always, @Stunger!

My day has been non stop...and the kids that we were around this past weekend, the sister in-laws, who tested negative originally for covid, today tested positive...both kids so odds are not in my favor as tribute would say

He is bad off...never gets sick but yes it's the end of the world...he needs to retest tomorrow...pray Mother Earth fends off the demons and thank her that our plants cant contract it!

Congratulations on being worthless Charlie...cheers to being a male! Hahahahaja absolutely kidding!!! Men contribute in just as many ways as women...you too, are resilient and an Earth Father
Healing vibes being sent to your family!!

Picking up where I left off last night, I said I would dive into transpiration a little...

As you will be able to tell we are inevitably discussing one of the leaf concerns that many of you have....

So, there are 3 phenomenon that cause sap/sugar to flow:

-Pressure Flow Hypothesis

Sugar produced in leaves and the green tissues are kept in the phloem system which creates solute pressure while the xylem carries a lower load of solutes

-Transpirational Pull

Xylem pulls H2O from the roots and soil as the evaporation of water from the surfaces of the mesophyll cells, creates negative pressure @ the top of the plant

-Root Preasure
(Highest in mornings for photoperiods)

A positive pressure that is caused by water potential of the root cells becoming more negative than that of the soil;
A capillary action then provides the force that establishes equilibrium and configuration.

In transpirational pull, the evaporation of water from the surface cells to the leaves causes the surface water to recess into the cell walls; these vessels need to be small in diameter so as to not break down the H2O column.

*Surface tension as it relates to transpiration*

Two H2O molecules positively and negatively forced provides tension which allows for water to be pulled up from the roots to the leaves

Last night I also touched upon the l.arcuata plant with both aerial and submerged leaves who, when ABA was added to her underwater roots, was able to produce aerial leaves under water....

The study suggests that ABA'S role in leaf phenotypic change is important to regulating stress through environmental change.

As such, the increased concentrations of ABA in the shoots, likely caused by a lack of water or air contact, is what triggered the change in leaf types.

The same study used phytohormone, ethylene, and was shown to induce the submerged leaf phenotype where ABA induced the aerial. This could be because ethylene presents itself as a gas underwater where it tends to stay endogenously; its addition also shows to inhibit ABA production which furthers the growth of the submerged leaves.

This is just another feather in the hat towards the theory that:

Temperature, water availability and phytohormones contribute to changes in leaf morphology and most importantly, plant fitness

Phew...that was a lot after today but I'm so glad we got it out there for ya to peruse!

WORTHLESS!!! I never...

Good luck with the drought treatments. I’ve been doing it for a while now. People on here told me straight up I was wrong. The dark clouds haven’t read the study or they wouldn’t be poo-pooing it.
The timing of the drought has to be adjusted to your flowering time and watering cycles. It’s not a week 7, 11 day thing for every plant and set up.

WORTHLESS!!! I never...
You know I love you Charlie!!!
Good luck with the drought treatments. I’ve been doing it for a while now. People on here told me straight up I was wrong. The dark clouds haven’t read the study or they wouldn’t be poo-pooing it.
The timing of the drought has to be adjusted to your flowering time and watering cycles. It’s not a week 7, 11 day thing for every plant and set up.
Hey Fish! Thanks for dropping your personal droughting experiences here!! It is greatly appreciated! Have to agree with you on the no need to poo-poo on th idea philosophy!

Where did you first hear of droughting and what convinced you to try a version for yourself?

What has been your experience with different strains as you had noted?

Back in the 90's when I learned to grow weed. cutting back on the water , towards the end was just part of grow.
The soul purpose of the plant is to make seeds & when that don't happen she cries the virgin tears.
Also went more by size of resin glands rather than color at harvest
By week 9 the kush were always close just needed to pick the right day

Back in the 90's when I learned to grow weed. cutting back on the water , towards the end was just part of grow.
The soul purpose of the plant is to make seeds & when that don't happen she cries the virgin tears.
Also went more by size of resin glands rather than color at harvest
By week 9 the kush were always close just needed to pick the right day
Awesome, thanks Brewsterman!!

Back in the 90s! Wow that's so cool!! Digging the Virgin tear metaphor!

I did recently just hear about the size of the glands rather than the color! Said they get super swollen from what I understand?

Back
Top Bottom