DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

It was indeed a CAT astrophy.....haha, must actually give this experiment a fresh try one day....
My man Smeeg.:high-five:.....Gave it a good go.

banana peel and seeds is something I have heard of for a long time (30 plus years-ish) I think there is something there, but i dunno for sure.

just some info...........
A plant messenger, ethylene gas can be used to trick the plant into ripening its fruits and vegetables earlier. as one experiment; simply placing the fruit or vegetable in question inside a paper bag, like a tomato. This will concentrate the ethylene gas inside the bag, allowing the fruit to ripen more quickly. Do not use a plastic bag, which will trap moisture and may backfire on you, causing the fruit to rot.

& I do like Sue .....

It also kept nutritious snacks on hand to end my gardening chores. :cheesygrinsmiley:

bananas apples pears Avocado mango.... good examples of ethylene gas passers :cheesygrinsmiley:

My man Smeeg.:high-five:.....Gave it a good go.

banana peel and seeds is something I have heard of for a long time (30 plus years-ish) I think there is something there, but i dunno for sure.

just some info...........

& I do like Sue .....

bananas apples pears Avocado mango.... good examples of ethylene gas passers :cheesygrinsmiley:

u said gas pass lol
:yahoo::laughtwo::nervous-guy:

Day 7-8 drying in fridge

ok some of the buds are feeling dry but the stem they are attached to is definitely still wet. took some buds out to dry so i can smoke something, and tested one of the smaller ones and the rh was at 74% when i stopped checking.
one thing i am wondering is, is this what you all have experienced as well?
after 1 week outsides of bud are dry but stem and i am assuming the middle are still wet. has anyone tried sweating the buds once during the dry to bring out some of the inside moisture?

sorry for so many questions, hopefully the majority of the buds will be in jars at 14 days. i just wonder because my fridge is a POS lol.

also i dont notice much smell, im assuming it will come back after the buds get out of the fridge and into jars?

Not sure what is involved in sweating but I've just stuck to the drill. I've had some that didn't smell much but mostly they do which is one thing I love about low and slow. My BCPs were the best smelling and I'd open the fridge once or twice per day just to get a whiff. They still smell pretty great in the jar!

Not sure what is involved in sweating but I've just stuck to the drill. I've had some that didn't smell much but mostly they do which is one thing I love about low and slow. My BCPs were the best smelling and I'd open the fridge once or twice per day just to get a whiff. They still smell pretty great in the jar!

ok cool, yes when i ipen the fridge door it freakin reeks.
i just meant the nugs i keep taking out to smoke dont smell too much, but im hanging them and blowing a fan on them to dry it so i can smoke something lol.

the leaf that was on the plates are dried now, i put all of it into two jars with the tops open and set them back on the top shelf of the fridge

I usually notice the smell I’m looking for comes back after drying and once they are about 2-3 weeks into cure. I’ve done well with self control. I don’t sample anything till after the 3rd week of cure. By then they smell funky again and the smoke is oh so smooth!

I usually notice the smell I’m looking for comes back after drying and once they are about 2-3 weeks into cure. I’ve done well with self control. I don’t sample anything till after the 3rd week of cure. By then they smell funky again and the smoke is oh so smooth!

yeah i think i have taken a bags worth of buds out trying to quick dry it to smoke. dont have anything else at the moment.
i should have dried a few buds the normal way so had somethjng to smoke now lol

i know that the half wet bud i have been able to smoke i cant really get a decent hit off of. one more week lol

Hey guys quick question. so im at day 10-11 in the fridge. i am noticing some of the smaller buds feeling dryish but i havent checked the rh% yet. just being lazy.
question is though- are the stems going to snap when they are ready like a normal hang dry?
im just trying to figure out a way to know when to jar them without taking out each individual bud and spending hours testing each ones rh%.
Any hints on how you guys who do this method have “known” the buds were ready to jar?
now im not worried about mold as much as im worried about missing the curing window. thanks!!

@Hdinkleman fill half of a mason jar with buds and put a hygrometer in with them. Let them set at room temp for a couple of hours then read the hygrometer. Should put you close for the whole batch.

I wouldn’t even check them till 2 weeks at least. And I know you are ready to get to curing, so I would probably use rice balls to get the humidity down the rest of the way. 2 weeks in the fridge is gonna give you that smooth smoke. At that point just pop the rice balls in the jar with them and watch the rh go down. I’ll find the link to Sheds rice ball tutorial and post it here.

rice balls in the paper bags? or do i have to just do jar by jar?

oh and a side note. the stem system from the plant is just hanging around the house drying, i think it has PM developing on it. it has been hot and humid a couple days. is this a sign that i had pm the whole time? or could it have developed after the plant was harvested.

to be clear i have not found anything reaembling mold or pm on any buds.... so far

I went through all the bags. the buds that i left on the stems were wetter. i switched the bags up and as i did cut the buds down off the big stems that some were on. a few of the bags had buds that i felt were dry, i set them in a cvault and some in a mason jar with hygroemerters in them.
i got a good feeling that next time ill trim the buds up more. i just got so sick of trimming lol.
i know theres at least another bag with buds that will be ready tomorrow.
the wetter ones still attached to the stems i cut off today will probably still take the entire 14 days.

the buds im the pizza box are wetter still. i trimmed those pretty good, so that tells me the paper bags drys faster. not sure though, could be because the pizza boxes are on the bottom of the fridge though.
will report back soon, even the bag of the biggest tops are starting to dry up, looking good.

Rice balls in jars. Make as many rice balls as you like!

Do you actually mean powdery mildew or mold?

If that's the condition outside the fridge it's a good thing your buds are inside!

The advantage to paper bags is the humidity exchange with the air in the fridge. Cardboard is too dense to allow that.

And part of the low and slow process is cutting the buds off the stems first.

Rice balls in jars. Make as many rice balls as you like!

Do you actually mean powdery mildew or mold?

If that's the condition outside the fridge it's a good thing your buds are inside!

The advantage to paper bags is the humidity exchange with the air in the fridge. Cardboard is too dense to allow that.

And part of the low and slow process is cutting the buds off the stems first.

yeah i am thinking of cutting a couple air exchange holes in the pizza box.
the buds i jarred last night were still too high, one of the jars was 71% after overnight jarring, the cvault buds were at 78%, so they are getting there. im figuring it out, next dry will go much better now that i have done this one time and seen what works and what doesnt

i cut a couple small holes in the side of the pizza box to vent.

the stems from the plants are hanging above my sink. theres a white powdery looking stuff at a couple of the stem joints. im assuming its PM.
i have not seen anything like it on any of the buds thank god, but it sketches me out even more to put the buds in jars unless the rh is below 69%

Back
Top Bottom