DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Looking good. :thumb:

I just bagged some up myself, will be one week this weekend. I Still have more to harvest. Busy days ahead.

nugs in bag
Looks great KB. The paper bags are quicker than glass jars I found but I almost over dried my first batch. So I let them sit for a week in the bag ( airing out once a day ) and then finished drying in jars still in the fridge. It slowed the process down but I had better control.
Getting a true RH reading in the jars required the jar to sit out of fridge for about 45 minutes .
Good luck w/ yours brother. :thumb:

Excited to try this method for the first time. I have 59 quart size Mason jars. I left buds on stems for the first 10 days then jarred them up without trimming. Been 12 days total so far. When I seal a jar with a hygrometer at room temp, I'm still in the low 80s. So maybe another week or 2 I'm guessing.

20200920_211412.jpg 20200920_211431.jpg

Excited to try this method for the first time. I have 59 quart size Mason jars. I left buds on stems for the first 10 days then jarred them up without trimming. Been 12 days total so far. When I seal a jar with a hygrometer at room temp, I'm still in the low 80s. So maybe another week or 2 I'm guessing.

20200920_211412.jpg 20200920_211431.jpg
I'd guess at least two or more. I think it's going slower for you due to having them in the mason jars. I can see you have screen lids, which helps, but the glass doesn't absorb moisture like a paper bag or cardboard box. :Namaste:

I'd guess at least two or more. I think it's going slower for you due to having them in the mason jars. I can see you have screen lids, which helps, but the glass doesn't absorb moisture like a paper bag or cardboard box. :Namaste:
I was wondering about that. I know it is the combinations of the bag and the fridge getting and keeping them in there till they hit 60 to 70 % which is perfect for slow drying. Then putting them in Turkey bags to cure to 60% Or there abouts

I was wondering about that. I know it is the combinations of the bag and the fridge getting and keeping them in there till they hit 60 to 70 % which is perfect for slow drying. Then putting them in Turkey bags to cure to 60% Or there abouts
Turkey bags basically act like large mason jars. It lets you cure a lot of bud without having to fill & burp two dozen (for example) jars but, like the jars, you really don't want to put your buds in there until RH is below 70%. At 62%, they're ready for long-term storage. ;)

I also do mine in jars. It takes around 3 weeks to get to 62% rH or there about. I have my fridge hooked up to a temperature controller; that I have set up to maintain an average temperature of around 45F.

Since you have so many jars, I would think it would probably take longer.

I also do mine in jars. It takes around 3 weeks to get to 62% rH or there about. I have my fridge hooked up to a temperature controller; that I have set up to maintain an average temperature of around 45F.

Since you have so many jars, I would think it would probably take longer.

Good deal, If you are going for the max slo, glass jars are the way to go. Preserve max terps. Just have to watch for possible condensation inside the jar, or so I hear.
I have been using paper bags for a while mostly just lazy... :yummy:

I took this one out for a photo op after about a week in the fridge....Still moist. Just checking.
CIMG3087.jpeg

Just have to watch for possible condensation inside the jar, or so I hear.

When I lay my jars on their side, I do get some condensation. I put a piece of 2X4, the width of the fridge, on the shelves. That allows me to prop up the jars, so the top of the jars are pointing up at a 45 degree angle. That seems to have eliminated the moisture build up.

I was finally able to harvest some of the Romulan yesterday. A couple hand surgeries set back my time schedule and allowed more pests and mold to set in. :( Oh well...I harvested what I could, trimmed as much as I could until my hands got tired, washed, and put them in a room to dry overnight. Time to put them in a paper bag. Do I need to go into the bag everyday to rotate the buds? I need to go through this thread again and do a recap. It has been a rough past few weeks. Lost a couple more plants and overall...season has been a rough one. Hopefully the bud wash and extra trimming will salvage some. They aren't the prettiest. I was so excited about the Romulan too. Urgh...

Do I need to go into the bag everyday to rotate the buds?
Congrat's on your harvest, Brother! :high-five:

Every few days just give the bags a little "shake" to make sure nothing is sticking together and allow the parts that were to dry out a little more.

Congrat's on your harvest, Brother! :high-five:
Thanks so much! I feel so damn defeated with all the problems but I guess if I get even just a little bit if usable buds, then it was a success. I really want to get to where I'm consistently harvesting beautiful buds. Firstly, I need to become a consistent gardener. LOL

Hi all.
Been gone for a bit. But just a update. The last Buds I did in my mini fridge ( no freezer) came out really nice. Due to covid and me quarantined at the ranch 200 miles from the drying area, they were left in the fridge for 5 weeks. A little over dried ( not by much) but still very good results.
Been browsing the inter webs and seeing more and more “refrigerater Dry and cure” poping up in searches. Looks like it’s gaining traction. And there is allways those who try to Capitalize and Monitize for the Cannabis community, which was inevitable. The major red flag (For me) with this system for sale is ( other than the price tag) is they are useing thermoelectric to cool dry and cure and in order for it to work properly the unit MUST be in a temp controlled area set at least to 75f.

Pax

Thanks so much! I feel so damn defeated with all the problems but I guess if I get even just a little bit if usable buds, then it was a success. I really want to get to where I'm consistently harvesting beautiful buds. Firstly, I need to become a consistent gardener. LOL

Hear ya. I gave up trying to grow “perfect buds” 20 years ago since I don’t have
a “perfect” grow area. Now, every grow is not perfect, but I allways get SOME perfect craft buds each round. Those get put up for special occasions. The rest of the imperfect buds get used perfectly.
Pax

The Lotus Dry method involves placing freshly harvested buds in brown paper bags in the refrigerator and allowing to dry slowly at LOW temperature over at least 15-20 days. This method results in more intense colors and retains more terpenes. Once properly cured in jars it delivers a smooth, flavorful smoke.

* 2 weeks before harvest remove any yellowish or non-essential fan leaves, along with undesirable larf. Leave a few fan leaves near bud colas. You want all the plant's energy directed to the buds.
MOST TRICHOMES ARE STILL CLEAR.

* Check your refrigerator. Temp should be between 38 and 44 inside. Make sure the defrost is working, or manually defrost - turn off for a few hours and GENTLY remove ice from evaporator panel. Do Not use a sharp object! You should be able to gently remove the ice with your fingers. Dry evaporator and any water with a towel and make sure door magnets are clean for a tight seal.

* Important - place several bottles of water / soda / beer in the fridge well in advance to help keep the inside cold. These bottles will act as a buffer - keeping the temperature from spiking too much when you open the fridge to check progress. After you close the door the temps should drop back down under 45 degrees after 10 minutes. Fridge with an evaporator fan may be better.

*A few days before harvest trim remaining fan leaves as desired. Leave the sugar leaves as they will help protect buds during dry.
5-10% OF TRICHOMES ARE STILL CLEAR, 75% CLOUDY, 5-10% AMBER

* Harvest Day - 75-85% OF TRICHOMES ARE CLOUDY AND ABOUT 15-25% AMBER. The more amber trichomes the more heavy / sleepy the high. For Indica strains more amber may be desired. Caution - trichomes turn amber fast. Watch closely - check at least once per day when all trichomes are cloudy and harvest day nears.

*Wash buds if desired. Washing the buds will facilitate a more even and faster dry, and - if outdoor grow - will rinse off any dust / bugs. Let the branches hang to dry for around 3-4 hours. Evening might be better time if it is hot out (it's regularly over 100 at my house in September).

* Leave buds on the branches but keep small enough that they fit in the paper bag and won't take forever to dry. Leave sugar leaves on for now but trim any leaves without sugar. Leave at least an inch of stem on several buds - for now - to check progress of dry.

* Place the buds into brown paper bags. Keep in mind that you're trying to create maximum surface area, so avoid overloading the bag. About six 8 inch branches (or about 10-15 good size buds) per bag - eyeball what would be about an ounce of dried flower. Fold top of bag over once then fasten with a paper clip or clothes pin - loosely. You want it to be able to vent off moisture (ends up as frost on the evaporator). After 3-4 days fold bag over twice; you want the remaining moisture to leave the bag slowly.

* Place bags inside fridge - home or mini fridge. Ideally you would place horizontally on a wire shelf - although glass will work (just put an empty bag on the bottom next to the glass). Stack no more than 3 bags with flower to prevent squishing. Fridge with an inside evaporator fan may be preferred over a mini fridge with an exposed evaporator (frosty panel).

* Inside fridge the temperature should be between 35 and 44 degrees. Place hygrometer inside fridge near bags. Monitor relative humidity inside the fridge every few hours (opening and closing the door will remove moisture but will raise temp); it will be high at first - over 75% RH. Thats OK for a day or two as long as bags are cold. After 2-3 days RH inside fridge should drop below 50%. Ideally will be around 35% or less for next 2-3 weeks, but under 50% RH is good.

* The buds still contain moisture and you want to extract that slowly at a cold temperature - about 35 to 44 degrees - over about 15-20 days. Below 45 degrees mold will not grow as long as RH is under 65% inside fridge.

* Open bags 1-2 times per day for first 3 days. Tumble or gently shake buds around to prevent flat spots and to vent out moisture. *If buds seem too wet (water on your fingers) after 3-4 days leave bags open in fridge for a few hours to help vent moisture out. The evaporator will collect this moisture as frost.

* After 3 days check once every 2-3 days. Open bags and use your hand to reach in and really move things around. After 3-4 days humidity should hover around 50% or less inside fridge (not in paper bags). Keep this routine for next 7-10 days - checking stems to see if they become brittle.
Stems bend = leave it; stems crack = place bag contents in jar to check RH%.

* After 15 - 20 days place contents of one paper bag in a wide mouth mason jar with a hygrometer inside and close tightly. *Place outside of fridge at room temp*

After 2 hours at room temp check RH%:
- Over 70% RH: buds go back into paper bags inside fridge. Check again in a few days.
- Between 65-69%: almost ready for jar cure; place back into paper bags and continue to check every day for a few days until RH gets below 65% in a sealed jar at room temp.
- Once buds are below 65% RH in jar after at least 2 hours: leave it in jar in a cool place (around 70-75 degrees) for next 30 days. Trim off any sugar leaves and excess stem, and manicure to your taste. Save sugar leaves in a separate jar if desired. You can cure these leaves separately and save to make cannabutter or hash.
- Burp jars 2-3 times per day first few days, then once every 3-4 days - just leave lid off for about 10 minutes. Gently shake / tumble jar. Should be no more than 2/3 full. Ideal RH in jars is 62%. You may want to place a Bovida pack inside jar to keep right at 62%. Some people like 65% RH Bovida packs. 65% will smoke just fine but is a little moist. Below 60 is little dry; mix contents of jar with a more humid batch.

After 10 days in jar you'll notice the cut grass smell going away; after 25 days the nice skunky flower aroma will return and buds are ready to smoke. Let jars age for at least 30 days (burp every 3-4 days) for optimal flavor. Long term just burp once per month.
This summary will definitely come in handy! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom