Durban Poison question

Fomerballer

Would you top a fem DP? It’s my first grow. If so about how far along? I know it’s a tall strain and this will be a indoor grow. I’d like to keep her under 5’ with the 5 gal hydro bucket. Thoughts?

Kudos to Crop King seeds 5 days arrives safely.

If to keep her under 5 feet with the bucket, you will almost have to top her or do some creative LST.

How tall will they get indoors

That depends on a lot of things. I've seen them 8 feet tall indoors. Pots size, plant strain, training, etc, all play a part of keeping them small. Reading in the forum about LST is a good start.

They can get as tall indoors as they do outdoors if not restricted or trained.

I have a 5 gal hydro setup. Was hoping to keep at no more than 5’

You can keep them quite short (very short) if you do low-stress training, topping, or super cropping (or combinations of those). There is also scrog which requires a net to be a barrier to even out the grow, for the colas to be all at the same level.

All those techniques can be found in the forum, as well as on youtube if you need to see them done.

All the above require a proactive grower. It's not a set it and forget it system to keep height within a range.

That should give you enough to research for a week.

Thanks I figured I would have to scrog it minimum

Of everything I've read, I believe scrog is the easiest method to do, but hard to know when to go to 12/12 for flower. If you wait too long, you end up with too much plant material and have to defoliate heavily. If you don't wait long enough you don't fill the net/screen (wasted power because you are not being efficient with your space). Also size the net/screen for your light's flower output area (if it is designed to flower a 3 x 3 area, make your screen/net that size).

This is my opinion only. I'm not an expert on any of these. I've just done tons of research.

If some of the more experienced guys get participating, I'm sure they will have other opinions/methods.

@The rooster is an experienced scrogger.

I personally wouldn't top any of my plants now knowing what topping them does, I'd simply train them instead.

Cannabis basically has 2 brains, 1 at the tip of the tap root, 1 at the tip(top) of the plant, cut it off and it takes about 8-10 days to re-grow the brain, during this time you won't see any growth really...basically just delaying your grow :Namaste:

Would you top a fem DP? It’s my first grow. If so about how far along? I know it’s a tall strain and this will be a indoor grow. I’d like to keep her under 5’ with the 5 gal hydro bucket. Thoughts?

Kudos to Crop King seeds 5 days arrives safely.
Take a cutting from the top and when it branches out do the same on each branch when it starts to spread out.This takes time but you guarantee the genetics for later use.Many other reasons too.Answer is yes,it will spread out more.Just save that top,sometimes no special prep needed,just stick it in moist good medium.Save your genetics is all I am saying.I do this all the time...Get a small dome incubator...Keep on the happy trail,peace and love!

One more ...if it's flowering even at an early stage it takes quite some time to bring it back into veg.Applies to the cuttings,keep them on 24hour regimen,they will go back to veg. eventually...Genetics.Don't kill your males.If they are pure especially.You can try branch bending,staking and the SCROG thing I am not familiar with other than I call it a trellis or arbor laid out horizontally to help with the vertical growth,do some research,peace.

If you want clone cuttings, thing it from the top doesn’t really make sense...a) you’re cutting off the brain slowing down growth on the entire plant for 8-10 days & b) rooting hormones are more predominant lower in the plant so you’ll have a higher success rate and without affecting the plants overall growth :Namaste:

I personally wouldn't top any of my plants now knowing what topping them does, I'd simply train them instead.

Cannabis basically has 2 brains, 1 at the tip of the tap root, 1 at the tip(top) of the plant, cut it off and it takes about 8-10 days to re-grow the brain, during this time you won't see any growth really...basically just delaying your grow :Namaste:
good point.topping is
If you want clone cuttings, thing it from the top doesn’t really make sense...a) you’re cutting off the brain slowing down growth on the entire plant for 8-10 days & b) rooting hormones are more predominant lower in the plant so you’ll have a higher success rate and without affecting the plants overall growth :Namaste:
I use the the top technique for sexing the plants and carrying on the genetics from a new genetic stock,getting branches growing out later on the original donor using a labeling system of course for more cuttings,I do agree though,in a perfect world from seed most definitely!...Save the males!Breed,it is fun.Peace...

I am currently growing Durban poison from crop King. I have 4 of them going and I am in week two of flower. They are 3 foot tall!! They tower over my other sativas and will be monsters. I topped and did a lot of lst to try and keep them low. You can look at them n my journal below. Good luck and they are the best genetics I have ever seen. I am going to need some major bamboo as they finish because they are super tall. You can see them in the back of my tent and they tower ver the others.

I am currently growing Durban poison from crop King. I have 4 of them going and I am in week two of flower. They are 3 foot tall!! They tower over my other sativas and will be monsters. I topped and did a lot of lst to try and keep them low. You can look at them n my journal below. Good luck and they are the best genetics I have ever seen. I am going to need some major bamboo as they finish because they are super tall. You can see them in the back of my tent and they tower ver the others.

How are your DP going? How tall did they get to? Would love to know how everything went

How are your DP going? How tall did they get to? Would love to know how everything went
They are still kicking ass. They are 4-41/2 feet tall. I have completed 8 1/2 weeks of flower and two of them are covered in white hairs and are still packing weight on their buds. I have used bamboo to tie the tall stalks to. I have them angled out so the DP does not get too close to the lights. They are under a meizhi 900w led and a Mars 300 led. check out my grow journal.
Diggler CK Photo Indoor LED - White Widow Durban Poison Cali OG Silver Haze
They are getting close to finishing up. Crop King said 10 weeks of flower, and I totally agree. They may even go a little longer.

They are still kicking ass. They are 4-41/2 feet tall. I have completed 8 1/2 weeks of flower and two of them are covered in white hairs and are still packing weight on their buds. I have used bamboo to tie the tall stalks to. I have them angled out so the DP does not get too close to the lights. They are under a meizhi 900w led and a Mars 300 led. check out my grow journal.
Diggler CK Photo Indoor LED - White Widow Durban Poison Cali OG Silver Haze
They are getting close to finishing up. Crop King said 10 weeks of flower, and I totally agree. They may even go a little longer.
Would love to see pics

Back
Top Bottom