Dusted’s Traditional Hydroponic Grows

Aren’t screens used in hemps buckets? Could try that. Maybe something like the screens used on doors and Windows?
The common drain line for all the pots is 1”. There is a 1/2” drip tube feed line running through the middle of the drain line. The plants need to send the roots through the 15 L of rocks into each drainage bucket where large amounts of roots grow. But, I don’t want the roots to escape the drainage bucket. I still have a while to think about it, before the roots get that long. Keep the ideas coming.

I started the Do-Si-Dos this morning. I first folded 4 paper towels and wet them with deionized water. The paper towel was then nuked for 30 sec to kill off any weird bugs present. My last paper towels were old and grew things besides seedlings during germination. When cool I added the seeds to the top edge of the paper towel and folded the towel back over the seeds. The folded towel was put on an incline into a water reservoir allowing the water to wick up to the seeds. I’m trying my heat mat for the first time. The water reservoir is sitting on the mat and I have a box over the whole setup to keep out the light. 24 C should be about right.

Thanks DAB.

Many thanks.

Merry Ho Ho Mr S and thank you.

I was able to get to the light hangers on the ceiling now that there are no plants and the room is clean again. With three lights each having four ratchet hangers it was a nightmare trying to move them up and down. I figured out how to eliminate half of the hangers and gain a few inches of headspace. Much easier now.

I was bored last night and was looking at some of the sponsors stuff. On the spur of the moment I ordered some cheap led‘s. I woke up this morning regretting my decision, knowing the quality wouldn’t be close to the @Budget LED lights I am using in the flower room. Thankfully @WWEGrow doesn’t ship to Canada and cancelled the order. I just have to wait until Budget does one of their bonus discount deals before ordering a Series 3 full spec 250 W for the clone/mother/breeding room.

The hydroponic system has been flushed, repositioned under the lights, and treated with the mosquito dunk water. I also added some hydrated spores to the grow media and a bit of molasses to the reservoir to feed the bugs. The system will circulate for the next few days in the dark while new seeds germinate.

I won’t start germinating until tomorrow morning so I can check the seeds after 3 days and then hopefully have that day to get the seedlings settled. I plan on using some of the @DYNOMYCO fungi on the germinated seedlings in the wet paper towel for a few hours just before putting them into the rocks. I will also add more into the planting hole to make sure of infection. I think I have decided on Do-Si-Dos for the next grow unless something else jumps out at me while looking at the seeds.
Awesome @Dusted,

This all sounds great - looking forward to seeing the results especially now that DYNOMYCO is in the mix!

Keep the updates flowing :)

Yesterday I re-applied the thermal insulation around my black drainage buckets, to save running the chiller quite as much. It runs too often now that it is set at 19 C instead of 23 C. I had stripped the emergency blankets from around the buckets when I switched from HID to LED lighting, thinking the room wouldn’t be as warm. I try to keep the daytime temperature around 25 C in the grow room so that is a six degree differential. Oh well, one must keep busy whilst waiting on germinating seeds.

I figured I better get in on the holiday discount at @Budget LED. I ended up ordering the Series 3+ full spectrum 330 W. The price per panel is significantly cheaper than the other options. I suspect the heat sink material is quite expensive so the less you need per panel the lower the cost. It is on back order but I won’t need it for a month, so that doesn’t matter.

I checked the seeds this morning (3 days) and found they had all cracked, but the tap roots haven’t extended enough yet. Even though the reservoir temperature is 25 C I had forgotten about evaporative cooling on the wet paper towel, so I turned the heat mat up to 30 C to try and get some heat radiating off the reservoir. I will look again tomorrow.

Finished getting all the last harvest into jars today. Both strains were quite aromatic and distinctive from each other. I’m looking forward to the Cream Caramel. Another trouble with a multi-strain grow is the need for more jars after harvest. I’m now out of jars, even after vacume sealing 10-12 oz of cured Critical Purple Kush.

Even though the Budget light was on back order it shipped today. They must have assembled one for me. It arrives New Years Eve day. Exciting.

Stay safe

I checked the seeds this morning (3 days) and found they had all cracked, but the tap roots haven’t extended enough yet. Even though the reservoir temperature is 25 C I had forgotten about evaporative cooling on the wet paper towel, so I turned the heat mat up to 30 C to try and get some heat radiating off the reservoir. I will look again tomorrow.

Finished getting all the last harvest into jars today. Both strains were quite aromatic and distinctive from each other. I’m looking forward to the Cream Caramel. Another trouble with a multi-strain grow is the need for more jars after harvest. I’m now out of jars, even after vacume sealing 10-12 oz of cured Critical Purple Kush.

Even though the Budget light was on back order it shipped today. They must have assembled one for me. It arrives New Years Eve day. Exciting.

Stay safe
Thanks for the business!

We finished the next batch of Full Specs over the holiday weekend.

Golly, you’re not going to need house lights anymore if you’re running budget’s in each room!! :laughtwo:
I wear my sunglasses at night. I should write a song

Thanks for the business!

We finished the next batch of Full Specs over the holiday weekend.
Ah, the trials and tribulations of a small business owner. Working Christmas. At least yours should be Covid proof if you can get your supples delivered and nobody gets sick. I wonder if more people started growing during isolation?

Ah, the trials and tribulations of a small business owner. Working Christmas. At least yours should be Covid proof if you can get your supples delivered and nobody gets sick. I wonder if more people started growing during isolation?
Haha. I was happy to take Thursday and Friday off. Thankfully, we operate very lean so covid did not impact us as much as other small businesses. We have been fortunate to not have any covid related items come up so far.

I would say that the first stimulus check definitely made people jump into the hobby here in the USA. We actually saw a spike in non-cannabis growers too. People wanting to have an indoor garden. I am actually going to start a 4 x 4 raised bed to experiment with veggies and lettuce.

The longer covid went ( and still ongoing), the less people we see. We will likely see another rush if this 2nd stimulus comes through.

Hey Roosti. I checked the seedlings again this morning, but they are still not ready to plant. I did add the dynomyco powder to the seedlings and wet it down before back into the dark. The downstairs grow media is getting drenched with water containing BTK daily, plus the hydrated spores I use. Should be rotting nicely with the higher pH and temperature. The new light arrives today, earlier than expected.

I am annoyed today. Out of the six seeds, maybe 3 can be planted. This is day five so I don’t see them progressing much further. I suspect it wasn’t warm enough and they froze. The three with decent tap roots still have the seed casing on them as well. We shall see if they even survive. I started a bunch of GG4 seeds in case I want a single strain grow. I went back to germinating in the cupboard above the refrigerator without the heat mat.

Got the new light hung in the other room. It lights up the room very nicely. Nice feature with the veg/flower and UV switches.

That’s a bummer about the seeds! Going back to you old way sounds like the right thing to do.

So when do we get to pics of the new light?
I will try and get some pictures later in the day.

Sorry about the germ rate Dusted :(. I shake mine in a sandpaper lined Altoid tin and drop them in distilled water in the dark at 80º. I get usually get a split within 24 hours and they go directly into peat pucks at the same temps. I never got anything to happen when it would get below 75º!
All the seeds split but half just stopped growing. Hopefully my standard location is warm enough. The whole reason to buy the heat mat was to avoided this problem. Oh well, GG4 is a good strain

I will try and get some pictures later in the day.

All the seeds split but half just stopped growing. Hopefully my standard location is warm enough. The whole reason to buy the heat mat was to avoided this problem. Oh well, GG4 is a good strain
You’re not alone dusted. All five of my cream caramel strains did the same thing. Didn’t get one plant, lol.

I planted the seedlings into the rocks, but don't have much hope for their survival. I ripped the head off the nicest seedling trying to remove the seed casing, so I just put the rest in as is. I am running a stream of water over the seeds and have the light turned on. They have four days to live or die, at which time I will hopefully have GG4 seedlings ready.

As promised a few pictures of the new light and the main room ready to go

Back
Top Bottom